Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Newbie Question on DM on a Broken Unit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy
South Africa
flag msg tools
Hi there

I am an 'old' wargamer in my 60's who is trying to get back into Advanced Squad Leader after being away from it for far too many years.... having started back in the 70's, playing Tactics II, Panzer Leader,Squad Leader...and then of course ASL + Beyond Valor + Yanks +Alamein etc. There was a brief excursion into Napoleonic miniatures but I always came back to ASL.

Time and circumstances found the games being resigned to storage and knowledge of the rules fading with each passing year. My son - who grew up playing Squad Leader - and I eventually tried to get our ASL 'fix' by playing the early computer attempts to recreate ASL such as Close Combat and then the excellent early versions of Combat Mission. Sadly Combat Mission passed the way of all computer games, ending up being designed for 14 year olds who only want to 'blow stuff up'. And so, with ever increasing graphics processing requirements and pleas to Battle Front to fix the "leader seeking" mortars and tank commanders getting shot from 500 meters the instant they unbutton falling on deaf ears, we eventually started looking at ASL again.

Having assumed that boardgames had gone the way of the Dodo, imagine our surprise and joy to discover that ASL is still very much alive and thriving - and even better can now that it can be played using VASL. As wonderful and tactile as it is to take Stahler, Greenwood, Medrow and the boys out for a bit of a run, the reality of life in 2018 means that the housekeeping of all the little cardboard chaps can be a mission - and there is always the possibility of disaster when a 3 year old is in the room or the cat walking around the table eyeing downtown Stalingrad as perfect place to try and sleep.

But I digress.....

Getting back into the rules is not for the faint hearted and I am grateful to whoever the brightspark was who came up with the idea for the Starter Kits. Excellent stuff!!! And also a big thank you to those serious enthusiasts like Jay Richardson who churn out vital works like the ASLSK Tutorial. You have no idea how appreciative I am that such resources exist.

...but to my question....

In Jay Richardson's tutorial he says this about DM in relation to a broken unit and which refers I think to the last paragraph of 3.2.1 of the ASLSK#1 rulebook.

"Whenever a broken unit is hit by enough firepower to possibly cause a Normal Morale Check (NMC) —
taking into account Terrain Effects Modifiers (TEM) and possible cowering — it immediately regains a
DM marker (regardless of the actual result of that attack)."

Is this not just a long-winded way of saying if a broken unit gets shot at by anything, even a 1FP, the unit gets DM?...like we used to do in the old Squad Leader to keep units DM.....or am I missing something important? Any column on the IFT has the potential for a NMC so I assume that I am not understanding what the rule is trying to convey. Help please!!!

Looking forward to getting into PBEM on VASL (as nobody plays ASL here in South Africa)....just as soon as I have enough rules under my belt to not be a boring opponent.

Thanks in advance for any feedback to my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Newbie Question on Routing
It means that taking into account things like cowering and terrain and hindrances, you still need to have a chance of a NMC.

On the 1FP table, you need a 4 for a NMC, but if the opponent is in a stone building (+3 modifier), the best you can get is a 5.

Slightly more complicated: If the firer is a type that has to worry about cowering (most nationalities squads without a leader), then even a wooden building prevents getting a DM from a 1FP shot, because of the following:

If you roll a 2, that cowers, which on the 1FP column puts it off the chart ( a miss).

If you roll a 3, after the +2 wooden building modifier, you get a 5, which is only a PTC.

So, no matter what in that case, you don’t have the possibility of a NMC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule of thumb:

You need at least:

1FP if the net DRM is +1 or less
2FP if the net DRM is +2
4FP if the net DRM is +3
6FP if the net DRM is +4

etc

to inflict DM, if the firer can cower on a doubles.

You have enough FP to DM the target if an unmodified DR of 3 = NMC or better after DRMs.

If the firer can't cower on a doubles (leader directed; British Elite and First Line {and maybe others}; Fanatic and probably some other cases), then you need at least:

1FP if the net DRM is +2 or less
2FP if the net DRM is +3
4FP if the net DRM is +4
6FP if the net DRM is +5

etc

for DM. This time you are working out if an unmodified DR of 2 = NMC or better after DRMs.

Does not matter what the actual attack roll is. You inflict DM if the shot could have caused an NMC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back. BTW I suggest editing your OP's subject for clarity, since this is not at all a question about "routing"! It's a question about placing a DM marker due to an attack which can cause NMC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
South Africa
flag msg tools
Done! Thanks for the advice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I produced a table for new Starter Kit players that accounts for unit type, cowering, DRMs etc. See it here https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/50837/minimum-attack-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.