United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1940 German 'Blitzkrieg' is a new area of interest for me, and I was about to start up some research for a possible game to acquire, when I thought I'd ask fellow gamers on what they would recommend, and why.

I want to aim at something that has the overall strategic feel, so that you can see the affects of the falling of Holland, Luxembourg, Belgium and then the Battle for France. While that is all good for Case-Yellow, I'm not adverse to including Denmark and Norway beforehand too.

I also want a game system that permits me to have the ability to have battles (Grebbeberg, Hannut, Dinant, Gembloux, Montcornet, Arras, etc.) played out at Brigade (or smaller) level, so that means I'm not looking at any games systems that abstract upwards to Army levels. I do like some detail and the subtleties that you can have at tactical level. And if any game includes air and naval assets too, that's a bonus.

As for play, I'm not afraid to tackle games in solo mode, and have done so for other titles like Drive on Stalingrad (first edition), Mercury/Market Garden and Anzio/Cassino, Seelöwe and others. I enjoy having these left set-up to explore them properly. So any suggested game titles with two or more players are fine with me.

There you have it - happy to provide more detail on what I might enjoy but quite keen to see what folks would recommend and why, and to learn what experiences you might have had from games on this specific year of WW2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might take a look at Victory in the West: Plan Yellow, The French Campaign 1940. It’s an excellent older design which is available on the secondary market.

You might also look for Brute Force: The War in the West, 1940-1945which covers the war in Europe in the West.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

First, in my opinion the best *game* on this topic (playability, ease of learning, etc) is France '40 from GMT, specifically its "Sickle Cut" scenario which is the main event fight that broke the Allies. But it doesn't cover all the ground you are talking about and may not have the detail you are after.

The Blitzkrieg Legend OCS is the closest to meeting all your criteria, but you have to like OCS. I like OCS if I mod around the bits I don't like, but not otherwise. (It wants no ZOCs, but it needs ZOCs, so it kinda sorta adds some. It really likes air and downplays arty, but makes the air ground coordination feel like Gulf War I not World War Two. It makes quality important which it should be, but *this* important feels like scripting and comic book... I could go on). And it definitely has a learning curve. I also find the game turn number pretty compressed here (the longest scenario is 13 turns, admittedly OCS turns in which plenty can happen, but it still feels tight time-wise IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jb jeanba
France
flag msg tools
I love the old Avallon Hil France 1940:

The Game of France, 1940: German Blitzkrieg in the West

It is old, maybe a little hard to find, but you have a lot of scenarii.
You can reproduce the sickle cut, or use the historical OOBs with more freedom of maneuver (ie : delete the idiotic factor) or have some whatifs to improve the French situation.

The second option (historical OOBs but relative freedom of maneuver) being my favorite, after all, the player does not have to be as stupid as Gamelin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
France '40; 2013; GMT; Mark Simonitch, Artists Rodger B. MacGowan, Mark Simonitch.

The Blitzkrieg Legend: The Battle for France, 1940 [OCS]; 2012; MMP; Dean Essig, Hans Kishel, John Kisner.

Case Yellow, 1940: The German Blitzkrieg in the West; 2011; GMT; Ted Raicer, Rodger B. MacGowan, etc..

The Fall of France; 1981; GDW; John Astell, Rodger B. MacGowan.

Battles for the Ardennes: St. Vith; Clervaux; Celles; Sedan (1940; 1944-45) [4 Games]; 1978; SPI; Danny S. Parker, R. A. Simonsen.

Battle for France: 1940; 1971; SPI; Jim Dunnigan. [Alternative Title -- The Game of France, 1940: German Blitzkrieg in the West; republication in 1972 by AH.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
TCLCATSPAW8MCHS wrote:
France '40; 2013; GMT; Mark Simonitch, Artists Rodger B. MacGowan, Mark Simonitch.

The Blitzkrieg Legend: The Battle for France, 1940 [SCS]; 2012; MMP; Dean Essig, Hans Kishel, John Kisner.

Case Yellow, 1940: The German Blitzkrieg in the West; 2011; GMT; Ted Raicer, Rodger B. MacGowan, etc..

Battles for the Ardennes: St. Vith; Clervaux; Celles; Sedan (1940; 1944-45) [4 Games]; 1978; SPI; Danny S. Parker, R. A. Simonsen.

Battle for France: 1940; 1971; SPI; Jim Dunnigan. [Alternative Title -- The Game of France, 1940: German Blitzkrieg in the West; republication in 1972 by AH.]
FYI The Blitzkrieg Legend: The Battle for France, 1940 is an OCS game, not SCS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Retreat! Polish & French Fronts

Brand new game... very solid series thus far. Learn how to play this one, and you've pretty much learned how to play several other WW2 wargames.

GMT Games are high quality, well worth looking into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M
United States
Fallston
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes SPI's France 1940 one of my favorites - just played it last month - purchased in 1974
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Raicer
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
My Case Yellow from GMT offers three versions of the campaign:

The historical which locks the Allies into their rush into northern Belgium and Holland.

A variant where the Allies don't make that mistake, but are otherwise handicapped by the command problems of May 1940.

A version where they had better leadership and organization and so can face the Germans on more equal terms (though still without having adapted German armor doctrine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's ATO magazine's Four Roads to Paris issue . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jb jeanba
France
flag msg tools
mtm256 wrote:
Yes SPI's France 1940 one of my favorites - just played it last month - purchased in 1974

I purchased the Avalon Hill version in 1985, I was 16, and played it a lot and a lot.
It was a great initiation to the specificities of wargaming : disymmetry between allies and german ...
Before, I played more or less symmetrical and balanced wargames
Though unbalanced, I always found the allied side more interesting to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there is my own recent design. It includes both France 40 and Poland 39, plus some "What if" scenarios, like an German attack on Frrance in late 1939 or a different Soviet attitude, And you have 80 event cards added to the game, including main leader cards and plan cards to cover the various plausible plans that each belligerent could have used (better French preparation, no attack on Holland, Swiss option etc...), same with the Polish campaign. meeple

No Retreat! Polish & French Fronts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Lewis
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
TCLCATSPAW8MCHS wrote:

The Blitzkrieg Legend: The Battle for France, 1940 [SCS]; 2012; MMP; Dean Essig, Hans Kishel, John Kisner.

FYI The Blitzkrieg Legend: The Battle for France, 1940 is an OCS game, not SCS.

Yup, a typo! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
tdraicer2 wrote:
My Case Yellow from GMT offers three versions of the campaign:

The historical which locks the Allies into their rush into northern Belgium and Holland.

A variant where the Allies don't make that mistake, but are otherwise handicapped by the command problems of May 1940.

A version where they had better leadership and organization and so can face the Germans on more equal terms (though still without having adapted German armor doctrine).

This is a very good game, and I wish that I had not traded it away. I have yet to crack open Four Roads to Paris, but I look forward to Mike Rinella's offering.

Something gently ironic about seeing Ted Raicer as a BGGNEWUSER, given his wargame pedigree. One might think they would just give you the proverbial keys to the city for a day.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ogden
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
GDW also did a small game at corps level called 1940 and designed by Frank Chadwick. It worked rather well since the Germans had a choice of objectives which could wrong-foot the French but the French still had a chance. It also played in 3-4 hours compared to a lot longer for some of the other games mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jb jeanba
France
flag msg tools
Andrew Ogden wrote:
GDW also did a small game at corps level called 1940 and designed by Frank Chadwick. It worked rather well since the Germans had a choice of objectives which could wrong-foot the French but the French still had a chance. It also played in 3-4 hours compared to a lot longer for some of the other games mentioned.

Yes, it seems fairly good.
I played it a little (less than the AH game, because I bought it later).
But I enjoyed quite much the estern front "1941" variant
Note that the counters were remade here :
http://frogofwar1.free.fr/download/1940.zip

They are much nicer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio Travesi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The OCS The Blitzkrieg legend. You can play battles and all the campaing

The Blitzkrieg Legend: The Battle for France, 1940
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunkirk: France 1940 is pretty straightforward to play block game. Six different German strategies for the German player to choose at the start of the game, so the Allies are kept guessing as to how victory is going to be calculated.

Really enjoying it so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks - my sincere thanks to you all for the invaluable input. All of it very much appreciated.

I've decided to acquire GMT's Case Yellow 1940 first, and plan to have-at-it over the festive season, seeing we're having a quiet at-home relaxation this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.