Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

City of Gears» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is placement of 2 gears per turn a limit no matter how they are generated? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Bremner
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In the rule book it says in the action section you may only place 2 gears per turn (1 link, 1 development). Is this limit for your whole turn, i.e., including any developments or links you get from tile activations or link bonuses, or just the spend cogs action?

We played it as only a limit for the spend cogs action, as otherwise it would make tile activations/link bonuses that generate developments/links a lot weaker. Doing so made the game end very fast, so I wondered if we were doing it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Goldsmith
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Paul,

Page 11 of the rulebook lays this out in a note at the top:

"IMPORTANT: All Gears must be drawn simultaneously and
you may only take the Draw and Place Gears action once per
turn. Some effects from City tile activation, Link Bonuses, or
Developments might instruct you to draw and/or place additional
Gear Links or Developments. These actions happen in
addition to the once per turn you may take the Draw and Place
Gears action."

Thanks,
Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chimpien wrote:
We played it as only a limit for the spend cogs action, as otherwise it would make tile activations/link bonuses that generate developments/links a lot weaker. Doing so made the game end very fast, so I wondered if we were doing it right.

It sounds like you played the game correctly - you can place extra cogs as developments or links only if you gain link bonuses or have prior developments that allow up the limit. Sometimes, this can speed up the exploration of the city, leading to quick games. Other times it isn’t as much of a factor.

Thanks for playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.