Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: Play before Zombicide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi there!

I´m quite new in the boardgame scene and i´m interessted in Zombicide and other dungeon crawlers (i hope this is the correct genre for this type of game )
Does anybody know a smaller and cheaper game which i can play before i buy an expensive game like Zomibcide? If it is available in german language, that would be great.

Thank you for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi and welcome to a great hobby.
Just so you know, games with minis, or miniatures tend to.cost more than games with simple standees and cardboard or even meeples.

If I may I might make a suggestion of either Hit Z Road or Zombie 15 or even Fight, Run or Die. Each of these have different mechanics but offer good Zombie fun and most importantly are cheaper than Zombicide. The good news is you can check gameplay on each of these before you dive in and see if you like them. Not sure if they are avaible in German

Sturmschild wrote:
Hi there!

I´m quite new in the boardgame scene and i´m interessted in Zombicide and other dungeon crawlers (i hope this is the correct genre for this type of game )
Does anybody know a smaller and cheaper game which i can play before i buy an expensive game like Zomibcide? If it is available in german language, that would be great.

Thank you for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dann Stinard
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Throwing this out there as an alternative to buying a less expensive game -- you can try watching a playthrough video to get an idea of how it plays such as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1DrPiEgS64

For me personally that's an easy way to see if I think a purchase would be worth it. If I find myself wanting to make my own moves in the game rather than watch others do it, and if I'm excited to see how it all turns out, that's a good indication that I'll like it.

If you're trying to judge if your gaming group would like it, that's more difficult. It's next to impossible to get someone else to watch a long video if they aren't predisposed to do it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Run, fight or die :o)

I would suggest Drakon. It's a traditional dungeon crawl with easy learn rules and affordable. Not sure if it's in German, you'll need to look that up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waggly Bean
United Kingdom
Walsall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Zombies!!!?

It gets a fair amount of hate these days but at its core it's a simple, light game that can provide a good evening with right group, especially if you use the faster play rules on the files section.

The game itself is competitive, but the third edition also gives you co-op mode, so I would guess this brings it closer to a Zombicide feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wagglybean wrote:
You could try Zombies!!!?

It gets a fair amount of hate these days but at its core it's a simple, light game that can provide a good evening with right group, especially if you use the faster play rules on the files section.

The game itself is competitive, but the third edition also gives you co-op mode, so I would guess this brings it closer to a Zombicide feel.

The main problem with Zombies!!! is that you basically have to approach it as a toolkit for making your own game. In coop/solo mode, a great many of the cards aren't useful, and the rules provide no assistance on what cards aren't useful in coop/solo mode, so the player(s) has/have to figure that all out on their own.

On the positive side, Zombies!!! has fairly good component quality, is inexpensive, has lots of expansions to add variety, and is available in German. That said, the German-language copies were getting hard to find when i bought mine (just over a year ago) because the German publisher (Pegasus) had stopped producing it. My set is a mix of English and German - whatever was cheapest for a given expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the OP is just wanting a zombie themed dungeon crawl then I agree that ZombieS!!! would make a good choice. I have the MidEvil version for sale. It’s the deluxe edition which includes all expansion and its new. If anyone is interested, PM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy it anyways... If you don't like it you can resell it. Buy a set second hand and you might even get more than you paid for it. Even better, find a local gaming group, community and see if they have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cleverley
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
Just buy it anyways... If you don't like it you can resell it. Buy a set second hand and you might even get more than you paid for it. Even better, find a local gaming group, community and see if they have it.

This. You can pick up a secondhand copy reasonably these days. I see it occasionally on Facebook. Even if you buy it new, I'd say it's worth the money. The longevity of play in the game is insane. It was the first "modern" board game I ever bought close to three years ago and I was playing it as recently as last month. Lots of fun with friends or playing solo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cinos
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Tiny Epic Zombies.

It's not the dice chucker that Zombicide is, but there are similarities and it is also much cheaper and easier to take anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
See if there are any LGS that have store copies to play or if they would demo it for you. Check out facebook or meetup and see if there is a local gaming group that could demo it for you. It is a great game and IMO has a short learning curve to start playing, plus there are minis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hi there!

Thank you all very much for all your ideas!

As far i can see now, Zombies and Drakon are good games to start for me. They are not expensive and available in German. I also will give Hit Z Road and Zombie 15 a closer look.

Next week there is a board game fairy near to my place. Maybe i can check out some of the games there.

Have a nice weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sturmschild wrote:
Next week there is a board game fairy near to my place. Maybe i can check out some of the games there.

Wenn du in der Naehe von Geltendorf (zw. Muenchen und Augsburg) bist, koennen wir uns treffen und ich bringe dir Zombicide bei. Meine Kopie ist Englisch aber die Regeln sind sehr einfach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dear Stephan,

thank you very much for your really kind offer, but that would be a little far away for me.

Best thing is, i just got my own Zombicide for a very good price!!!

I hope to play it with my gameing group this or next week.zombie

Thank you all again!

Have a great day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.