Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ecological Zone rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nguyen Lam
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to clarify some of the issues with this card.

Q1: The phrase "including these 2" refers to which of the following:
A. Include this card, apply this effect to the card after playing it. So place ONE animal in this card.

B. When playing a card with both tags, you get TWO animals (on this card).

I think it is A because there are several similar cards (see below) using the phrase "including this". I think the Ecological Zone has both tags, so use "including these 2" instead of "including this". It does not imply "put TWO animals".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Brookville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nglamarc wrote:

A. Include this card, apply this effect to the card after playing it. So place ONE animal in this card.

I think it is A because there are several similar cards (see below) using the phrase "including this". I think the Ecological Zone has both tags, so use "including these 2" instead of "including this". It does not imply "put TWO animals".

We play it that you get 2 animals on that card, one for each tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Standard purposes.

Every card (CARD) that trigger with itself says "including this" I.E. saturn systems.

So when the card says 'including this' it refers to the card itself.

So when you play animal tag or plant tag, put an animal here. and hey, you just played those, so put some animals here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nguyen Lam
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mtaylor314 wrote:

The phrase "add an animal to this card" does not use "each".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naked Meeple
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
You add two. It says to add an animal every time an animal or plant tag is played. Ecological zone has both so you get one resource for the animal and one resource for the plant.

This is how it is with all cards with multiple tags, they all trigger separately (even if multiples of the same tag) not combined and only applied once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nguyen Lam
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chigatterun wrote:
You add two. It says to add an animal every time an animal or plant tag is played. Ecological zone has both so you get one resource for the animal and one resource for the plant.

This is how it is with all cards with multiple tags, they all trigger separately (even if multiples of the same tag) not combined and only applied once.

These cards are similar.

If I play a card with 3 tags (microbe, animal, plant), I get 3 tokens. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik E
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Roll Tide
mbmbmbmbmb
Please note that "tags" are the symbols in the top right of the card, so both of those cards you noted only have a single microbe tag (and the right one has a science tag).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
mtaylor314 wrote:
nglamarc wrote:

yup, each tag counts individually, so any card that includes 2 tags triggers effects once for each tag
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nguyen Lam
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebamaman wrote:
Please note that "tags" are the symbols in the top right of the card, so both of those cards you noted only have a single microbe tag (and the right one has a science tag).

Later in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naked Meeple
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
nglamarc wrote:
Chigatterun wrote:

These cards are similar.

If I play a card with 3 tags (microbe, animal, plant), I get 3 tokens. Right?

Yes, correct. so for example if you played Advanced Ecosystems (microbe, plant, animal tag), then Decomposers would get 3 microbes to it and Viral Enhancer would give you 3 plants (since you cant add microbes to advanced ecosystems).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nguyen Lam
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chigatterun wrote:
Yes, correct. so for example if you played Advanced Ecosystems (microbe, plant, animal tag), then Decomposers would get 3 microbes to it and Viral Enhancer would give you 3 plants (since you cant add microbes to advanced ecosystems).

As your example. I can not add a resource to Viral Enhancer because it does not have the effect of containing resources right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naked Meeple
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
nglamarc wrote:
Chigatterun wrote:

As your example. I can not add a resource to Viral Enhancer because it does not have the effect of containing resources right?

Yes that reason too, but mainly because viral enhancers only adds resources to the TRIGGERING card, which in the example is advanced ecosystems. The only time viral enhancers triggers on itself is when you play it the first time. In that instance, yes you may gain plants since viral enhancers cant hold microbes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nguyen Lam
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chigatterun wrote:
Yes that reason too, but mainly because viral enhancers only adds microbes to the TRIGGERING card, never itself or any other card that was played earlier.

Why only microbe? The card has "animal" symbol . And say "add 1 resource TO THAT CARD"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naked Meeple
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mb
nglamarc wrote:
Chigatterun wrote:
Yes that reason too, but mainly because viral enhancers only adds microbes to the TRIGGERING card, never itself or any other card that was played earlier.

Why only microbe? The card has "animal" symbol . And say "add 1 resource TO THAT CARD"

Edited comment to say resources instead of microbes and added more clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nguyen Lam
Vietnam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for clarifying the issue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's just throw all three of these cards together to see what they do.

First, you play Viral Enhancers.
- It has a microbe tag, which triggers its own effect. Since Viral Enhancers cannot hold any special resources (there is nothing on the card that lets you use any resources, or give you VP for resources), your only option for this effect is to gain 1 plant.

Second, you play Decomposers.
- Decomposers has a microbe tag, which triggers its own effect, so you gain 1 microbe resource on Decomposers.
- Decomposers' microbe tag also triggers Viral Enhancers. Here, you can choose: You either gain 1 more microbe resource onto Decomposers, or you gain 1 plant.

Third, you play Ecological Zone.
- EcoZone has a plant and an animal tag; each of these will trigger any appropriate effects.
- Each tag triggers EcoZone's own effect, so you gain 2 animal resources on it straight away.
- Each tag also triggers Decomposers, so 2 additional microbe resources for Decomposers as well.
- Each tag also triggers Viral Enhancers. As before, for each tag, you get to choose between a special resource onto the triggering card (i.e. animal onto EcoZone), or a plant to your general supply. So from EcoZone's triggering of Viral Enhancers, you can get 2 more animals for EcoZone, or 2 plants, or 1 of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Einich
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmb
Viral Enhancers in starting hand = autokeep, solo or multiplayer laugh (unless I need all my starting money for a really good first-turn plan).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.