Subject: Quick Comments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaakko Laitinen
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I acquired this game few days ago. I'm quite new to this hobby as I found German games about year ago. Now I've been collecting classics (and couple of my friends too) like El Grande, Puerto Rico, Web of Power etc. Reviews of these have been a big help and none has been a disappointment yet. I wanted a good trading game and Traders of Genoa seemed to be the best. But as I read the reviews and comments here and elsewhere, the amount of time was often said to be way too long. I nearly passed the game but then found it with very low price and decided to take the risk.

So we played the first game with four players and clocked it about 2h 30 mins including teaching of the rules. I think this is very good for any heavier game for the first play. Our normal El Grande game takes about the same time. I can see this game can take longer time for some people but some reports of about 5 hours seem to be ridiculous. Any game can take that much time if you calculate every possibility in the game. But with a little common sense and slight hurrying of the active player makes this game playable enough (we need to do this in El Grande and Puerto Rico too).

The game itself was a very pleasant surprise. There was a little confusion at the beginning but after a few turns game started to flow with good pace. We played couple of rules wrong, but I think they didn't affect too much. Everyone was involved all the time with all the trading and offering. There was virtually no downtime and I think this is maybe the best part of the game. There seems to be many routes to victory, which is a very good sign. It is very difficult to say who is leading during the game which I like too. That's because the enjoyment of playing is not affected by realizing that you have no possibilities for victory any more (which happens often in other games). So, first game was a pleasant surprise and I'm waiting for the future plays. Go for this and don't be afraid of the playing time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Quick Comments
aetjiazer (#36399),

I think reports of very long playing times are due to overnegotiation. For us, the playing time for ToG is about 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.