Subject: Team Size: 5 Players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Olson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Just got the game. Love it! Looking forward to more games, only played one session so far.

So... question here: is it a bad idea to play five players? I know that the game recommends 1-4 players, and balances each scenario based on the # of players. But I have 5 interested players and no one wants to be left out.

Is it advisable to play a 5-man team? Yes, I know there are not enough XP trackers and combat decks, but I think we can make do. I am curious about balancing the scenario re: challenge and loot and stuff.

Doable? Or should we just take a hard pass and stick with 4 at a time?

Thanks!
-Ozmar the Gloomy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kanehen
United States
Bothell
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answers:
- It's doable, but not designed for it.
- Some love it, some hate it.
- Unofficial recommendation from the designer is to increase difficulty by 2 without increasing rewards.

There's definitely a lot of threads on this getting into the finer points of why you might want or not want to do this. Try googling: "site:boardgamegeek.com gloomhaven 5 players" and checking out those results for many detailed discussions.

For my two bits, we have 5 players and just rotate one player out each scenario. That's working great for us and it leaves us the flexibility to have a player miss a session or show up late and not "hold up" the group. We just catch them up on any story if that's the case.

Edit: Clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's doable. I've only ever done four in any one scenario, and you'll have to fudge some things to make it work. I think some suggested house rules are:

Use the monster setup for four characters, but give monster and traps a +1 or a +2 without also increasing the gold/XP payout.

Use the monster attack modifier deck for the fifth character and use an app for the monsters.

For what it's worth, I have a group of six, but we only play four at a time, and it works just fine. Maybe it's more appropriate for me because not everybody can make it every week, but for me, I'd rather save myself the headache.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Olson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies! I'll check out the other threads, too.

-Ozmar the Newbie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we played with 5 the last time (with the recommended +2 level) and it worked fine
We had a great challenge, but managed to win (with some ko) in the 2 scenarios we played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Watson
Australia
Galston
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It works fine.
Sometimes the board got too crowded with summons and the cragheart's obstacles, but most of the time it's good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
It's doable. I've only ever done four in any one scenario, and you'll have to fudge some things to make it work. I think some suggested house rules are:

Use the monster setup for four characters, but give monster and traps a +1 or a +2 without also increasing the gold/XP payout.

Use the monster attack modifier deck for the fifth character and use an app for the monsters.

This. We have a group of six, with 2-4 showing regularly. For the few occasions where five show up, we've run everything +2 to +3 except rewards.

Aside from using the monster deck, there's also someone here who put player decks 5-8 up for PoD, they're really useful if you're running a megaparty or five players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Fry
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The main problem is difficulty scaling later in the campaign. Even at 4 players, you typically need to raise difficulty as prosperity goes up since the game gets too easy as your characters get stronger. My 5p group is around prosperity 6 and we're playing on difficulty 7 and the game is still too easy. Worked fine earlier in the campaign though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
as this is a strict PVE game, balance does not matter. Play how you like. If it is to easy make it harder. Spawn more monster. Give them more HP or give them more abilities. Play, have fun and try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Mathiesen
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hey Ozmar,

We are 11 scenarios deep in a 5 player party and it's totally doable and fun. for $10 you can buy yourself 4 more HP/EXP trackers from a website online, OEM versions, not knock offs. There is also High resolution images of the modifier decks online which you can find and print out, cut out and sleeve and its exactly the same as the games version. That will take care of all your pain for adding a 5th person. As far as gameplay goes we steadily run 1-2 levels higher then the recommended level for monsters because you have added another hero, these seems to work pretty well. we haven't blown out any scenarios really and theres been a number of times where we've had 1 or 2 exhausted and whoever was alive finished with 2 or 3 turns left. I will say that you will probably need to make provisions for loot and gold because with a 5th person out there, everyone is going to get less and it'll make for very slow gear and enhancement purchasing. other then that we havent really lost a beat and the game plays just as well with 4 players. Good luck to you and your adventures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.