Subject: Looking like maps won't be stretch goals. Are you still in? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D P
Canada
toronto
ON
flag msg tools
With today's announcement of the Deathmaw Valley expansion as an optional $50 buy, it's looking less and less likely that there will be a map thrown in as a stretch goal. Does this change anything for you?

Personally, my pledge isn't guaranteed anymore. I'm liking all the extra minis, I suppose, but right now these stretch goals just aren't cutting it for me. Maybe it's because I'm Canadian and this would cost me a small fortune vs waiting for retail.

Eager to read everyone's thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more half-the-prize-of-the-base-game expansions there are the less I feel like keeping my pledge. The completionist in me wants the entire game but I would not be able afford food for a year afterwards. It is simply too much money for a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dont like the way this campaign is headed. I already backed out. If you get it all its upwards of 300 plus shipping.

No thank you.
DickHams wrote:
With today's announcement of the Deathmaw Valley expansion as an optional $50 buy, it's looking less and less likely that there will be a map thrown in as a stretch goal. Does this change anything for you?

Personally, my pledge isn't guaranteed anymore. I'm liking all the extra minis, I suppose, but right now these stretch goals just aren't cutting it for me. Maybe it's because I'm Canadian and this would cost me a small fortune vs waiting for retail.

Eager to read everyone's thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, I'm out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still in, but I am not a competition-ist. I am just getting base plus alien rescue, the rest doesn't seem to be worth the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dominguez
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah I like some of the new characters like the power armor squad, but I'll just stick with the first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
or zombies or ...
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
yynderjohn wrote:
Yeah I like some of the new characters like the power armor squad, but I'll just stick with the first edition.

If I had the first edition I probably would as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never expected a map as a SG-- CMON has never done that in the past, iirc. I've been on the on the fence since the horror was added into the art direction. I'm currently 200 USD in, with base game, Rescue, and ROOKS. I may drop my pledge if the SGs aren't worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in, I've backed enough CMON games to not expect maps to be SGs. Figures are.

This has more add-ons then I expected, but I'm fine with that. The production quality will be top notch and it seems the original designers are the ones behind all this extra stuff (based upon a commenter on KS who talked to them at Essen). So this isn't just CMON milking the game to the end by themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Crane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If more people had backed it we would have less add ons and more "freebies" I think cmon needs to reevaluate their kickstarters. They seem to still think they are going to attract massive numbers but competition is getting better. I'm pretty sure half the starcaida quest add ons were former stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You said everything that was on my mind.
They need to reevaluate the situation.

Devonmouse wrote:
If more people had backed it we would have less add ons and more "freebies" I think cmon needs to reevaluate their kickstarters. They seem to still think they are going to attract massive numbers but competition is getting better. I'm pretty sure half the starcaida quest add ons were former stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian

Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devonmouse wrote:

No if more people backed the gaps would be 50k or 100k or 120k. Go look at any previous KS to see that's how CMON works. Heck Starcadia got a bunch of SGS at the end unlocked by Chinese and Retail pledges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Devonmouse wrote:

It's a pretty sound tactic though, right? Boost your numbers by putting your hand out to people that are already 'in' and excited about the project.

Then hope that enough of them go for it that some stretch goals can start tempting people that are on the fence and just want to see value for the base pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Leary
msg tools
I will probably stay in because real time games are hits with the kids

They should probably look at other campaigns

Sword and Sorcery is a great example, the initial pledge was a bit high but
SGs are 10k apart

And the SGs will unlock Expansions which are INCLUDED in the base pledge, you're not stuck buying a bunch of extras or addons

P:E Is already more than Gloomhaven and getting towards KDM which just destroys it in what you get, P:E minis aren't even close to the models in KDM not to mention it has a full long well thought out campaign complete with story, organizer tray etc etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still in for $1... we'll see where my finances are at when the pledge manager deadline comes up.

Honestly, if possible I want to get multiple copies of the Kickstarter exclusives and hold onto them for a while before heading on over to eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
The new expansion doesn’t seem that great to me. I’ll probably pass on that. I like the other elements of the campaign though, so I’m still in.

I do wish they’d found a way to bring forward the other two maps from the original Adrenaline expansion. They were probably less well balanced, but I still liked them and they provided a nice variety from the base game board.

I’m fortunate to have that board so I can use it with the new game just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
In for $1, and doubt I'll get the game at this point. The value just isn't there, and I don't see that changing much given (1) if you back just the base game you get just 3 sets of swarms, (2) there is still one alt sculpt to go, and (3) there will likely not be many more stretch goals.

At this point I'd get a better deal buying the game and an expansion for 20% off with free shipping from most online retailers (assuming it makes it to retailers... I'll live if not). This way I can try it before I buy it, save money, and remove all risk.

I know some people were unhappy with the Starcadia Quest campaign, but the base game ended up being a nice deal as it gave you 100-200% more heroes, officers, villains, and campaigns (plus a few extras). P:E costs more and adds very little by comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Miller
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just bailed on this one too.
I understand why CMON does it, but I'm exhausted with the add-on-dependent stretch goals.
Either you sit by watch as more and more stretch goals pop up that don't apply to you, or you bite the bullet and buy all of the expansions to get the value out of the campaign. I've done it for the last 3 or 4, but I can't quite justify what would end up being $300 (and growing, plus shipping) for Zombie City with guns and nice minis.

In every single CMON kickstarter I've backed since Zombicide, I've been able to pick up a base game from an OLGS for $50 shipped. This one will be no exception. Plus, I'm not missing out on anything - PE is already in the world...

So, no vitriol to CMON, (I love their big boxes of toys/paint canvases) but I'm finally going to learn my lesson and pick up the base game on a Gamenerdz ding & dent special : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
For those on the fence, I’d recommend base game plus Alienship Rescue. That seems to be the sweet spot for getting all the content that’s a remake of the original game. It includes all stretch goals (some are tied to AR expansion, but not to other optional buys) and excludes all the untested ideas that may or may not be good (power armor characters, alien characters, worm-boss-in-a-canyon mode).

It’s easy to feel like all-in or nothing, but I think this campaign doesn’t warrant that. If you missed the first game and want a comparable amount of content from this new version, a $150 pledge should cover you (and frankly, the base game alone is a great option as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon van Oorschot
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am nearly all-in (skipping dice and crossover). Been on the lookout for an original version for a few years without luck, so now Project:Elite will become mine!

But I fully understand people losing interest. You really have the feeling that its all or nothing, and all seems way to pricey.

Deathmaw seems very gimmicky, but I can see the potential in having a proper bossfight, if you have got a cool team together, who have beaten a few missions already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Price
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Dormammu wrote:
For those on the fence, I’d recommend base game plus Alienship Rescue. That seems to be the sweet spot for getting all the content that’s a remake of the original game. It includes all stretch goals (some are tied to AR expansion, but not to other optional buys) and excludes all the untested ideas that may or may not be good (power armor characters, alien characters, worm-boss-in-a-canyon mode).

It’s easy to feel like all-in or nothing, but I think this campaign doesn’t warrant that. If you missed the first game and want a comparable amount of content from this new version, a $150 pledge should cover you (and frankly, the base game alone is a great option as well).

At this point, I'm either going for the base game only or the base + AR (like you've mentioned).

That may change if some other features are revealed in the final 4 days coming up, but I think your assessment is pretty accurate. If you are going to put any extra money in, the AR addon seems to be the best value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Garcia
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm currently at $1, but if they dont add (don't hate me) amother expansion that is a direct remake of Adrenaline, or at least a second, normal board as an add on, I probably wont back and will grab the base game at retail.

I'm just not seeing the value right now. Not sure another expansion would change that, as I dont think this is has $200 worth of game.

Edit: If I back it, I want the tank charatcers as they are the ones I like the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
toronto
ON
flag msg tools
Welp, with the most recent stretch goal, looks like I'm eating crow. My purchase just got a lot more likely. Glad CMON is listening!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.