Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I have toured internationally performing as John Lennon.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean build armies with points. I'm more referring to the design your own vehicle games that were all the rage in the 80's. Stuff like BattleTech, Car Wars, and Traveller (Classic). They seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird. I'm guessing because the Internet and min-maxers arbitraged away any variation in designs as you either brought the "perfect" unit to the battlefield or lost before the fight even began. That said, I'm feeling nostalgic...

P.S. And by "modern", I mean useing elegant mechanics of 21st century designs, not some retread of a obsolete system that nobody would publish today if not for the IP - I'm looking at you BattleTech!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
The closest that I can think of is Wasteland Express Delivery Service.

Other games with vehicle mods, but probably not what you're looking for:
Road Kill Rally
Galaxy Trucker
Steampunk Rally
Oceanos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Frye
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quest for Gaia

It's a game I've designed that will go to Kickstarter on 3/3/2019. I think it fits your criteria of building your own units (you build your own alien race).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I have toured internationally performing as John Lennon.
mbmbmbmbmb
joshclimber24 wrote:
Quest for Gaia

It's a game I've designed that will go to Kickstarter on 3/3/2019. I think it fits your criteria of building your own units (you build your own alien race).

Not what I'm looking for actually but I'm interested nonetheless and subscribed to the game page!

I'm really looking for a tactical combat game where you design a unit then battle against other players. Wasteland Express is much closer to what I'm imagining but the silly theme is a turnoff...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A.
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaslands maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crusader4x wrote:
Gaslands maybe?

Looks like Car Wars redux, but seems you mod, not deisgn. The really high rating has me intrigued tho...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Shaw
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Too many games, too little time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Devil's Run: Route 666

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure which (if any) of these will qualify as "modern" to you. And I'm not sure how many things you're looking to have on the field at once: some people liked to play BattleTech with one Mech apiece, which other (crazy) people liked to have a dozen or two. All that said, here goes:

Ground Combat
Defiance: You can design all your units, for a 28mm-ish game like Warhammer 40K. I haven't actually gotten this to the table yet, but it seems pretty flexible.

Spaceships
Starmada: Good blend of detail and ease of use. Probably aimed at 3-9 ships per side?

Full Thrust: The published rules are available free, but I find them pretty generic. There are fan expansions (also free) that are supposed to add more detail, but I haven't tried them.

Squadron Strike: Very detailed construction system, with software support required and checking in mid-way through the design process recommended. (They want to avoid non-fun games where one player spends buckets of points on shield-piercing technology and the other doesn't use shields at all.) Probably the only one on the list I would use for a one-on-one duel, but handling 2-4 ships is fine for a starting game, too.

Slag: I still haven't gotten this to the table. But it just looks so elegant: if I could just figure it out at the same time as having an opponent willing to try out a different system...

Whatever
Infinite Armies: Possibly not a great fit, but I like it so I'll throw it in. You design a deck of cards, both the deck distribution and every individual card. The given theme is modern armed conflict, at a fairly abstract level. But the basic Rock/Paper/Scissors mechanic is pretty exposed, so you could retheme if you'd rather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
m3tan wrote:
I don't mean build armies with points. I'm more referring to the design your own vehicle games that were all the rage in the 80's. Stuff like BattleTech, Car Wars, and Traveller (Classic). They seem to have gone the way of the dodo bird. I'm guessing because the Internet and min-maxers arbitraged away any variation in designs as you either brought the "perfect" unit to the battlefield or lost before the fight even began. That said, I'm feeling nostalgic...

P.S. And by "modern", I mean useing elegant mechanics of 21st century designs, not some retread of a obsolete system that nobody would publish today if not for the IP - I'm looking at you BattleTech!

Astra Titanus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:

I didn’t remember customization in that game. Perhaps the new Adeptus Titanicus? I haven’t seen it played, but I thought there was some design in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.