Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(without each player having to play 2 players, for example)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I would think the trickiest adjustment for 2 players controlling 4 characters would be the haunt. The traitor would have to give control of 1 of their two characters to the non-traitor player for the duration of the haunt. Other than that I am not sure what issues may arise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPA941 wrote:
I would think the trickiest adjustment for 2 players controlling 4 characters would be the haunt. The traitor would have to give control of 1 of their two characters to the non-traitor player for the duration of the haunt. Other than that I am not sure what issues may arise.
we aren't interested in 2 players playing 2 characters each, so that's fine...i'm wondering if 2p can play without doing that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Moore
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Oh, I see, hopefully you find an answer. Sorry I misunderstood. I was thinking deeper and realized that hidden traitor haunts would be problematic at 2 playing 2 each as well. Maybe someone can help with you actual question haha. Sorry about the confusion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPA941 wrote:
Oh, I see, hopefully you find an answer. Sorry I misunderstood. I was thinking deeper and realized that hidden traitor haunts would be problematic at 2 playing 2 each as well. Maybe someone can help with you actual question haha. Sorry about the confusion!
no problem... :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roddy
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The box advertises 3-5 players, so there’s no official way to play with two. It may be impossible to complete some haunts with only one hero player. We don’t know yet.

You could try 3 Heroes: you control one, your partner controls one, and you share control of the third. When a main character turns Traitor, the the other player takes total control of the shared character. If the shared character turns, someone takes that character and the other player takes the other person’s Hero. You’d need to roll for it, or alternate turns of control, or figure out some other method.

This isn’t an elegant solution, but it’s the best I can think of for unofficially playing a hidden-scenario, surprise traitor, legacy game with a player count the game wasn’t designed to accommodate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
UPA941 wrote:
we aren't interested in 2 players playing 2 characters each, so that's fine...i'm wondering if 2p can play without doing that...

Our other solution for regular Betrayal for 2p is to mutually control a 3rd character.

But if you're goal is to play the game with 2 players each controlling 1 character, so only 2 total characters, I don't think I would recommend Betrayal Legacy or regular Betrayal. Neither game officially support 2-player games in any way.

If you happy to already play Betrayal 2p with 2 characters and actually enjoy it, then this probably won't be that much different. That's just a guess, though. Since most people are still waiting on the game, I don't think you'll get a clear answer on this anytime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Collier
msg tools
Based on what I've watched, it doesn't seem possible due to the narrative nature of the legacy campaign. IGN has a playthrough video of the Prologue, and First Chapter. It gives you a good feel for the way the game is going to play, but there are MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Scott
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest obstacle to 2 players sharing a 3rd character would be the occasional "hidden traitor" Haunt. ... Actually, that would be a problem with the original Betrayal, too, come to think of it. With the original, you could just ignore that and choose another Haunt, but no idea how that would work with the Legacy system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok...but it seems pretty clear that this simply isn't going to work with 2p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dio Tsoumas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
ok...but it seems pretty clear that this simply isn't going to work with 2p...

If it is possible to skip the hidden traitor haunts then it is possible. I haven't played betrayal (both the original and the exp) with more than 2 players and never had an issue.

Actually, with 50 haunts around, you should be able to skip a few of them in order to make it playable with 2 (we use 3 investigators for the 2 of us)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ugh no. Not every game should be shoehorned into player counts that don't work for the design, especially 2 player, which by far has more games than any other single player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sikele
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:
ugh no. Not every game should be shoehorned into player counts that don't work for the design, especially 2 player, which by far has more games than any other single player count.

here, here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
(without each player having to play 2 players, for example)

I'd say that 80% of the game could function with 2p. There are some haunts (unavoidable, no spoilers) that will require more than 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Cohen
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Backing up JR, any haunts with hidden information will be difficult to make work. For the campaign, I'd recommend sticking to suggested player numbers, but during free play, you should be able to make the game work with one player controlling the traitor and one controlling the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.