Subject: Board of Destiny differences rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was bored and so I put together the differences between the board of destiny for the old and new version. I haven't played either versions so I'd love to hear an opinion on what you think of the changes.

Number of Powers

Old: 10
New: 6

Nonexistent powers in the new version

Calm before the storm
Condition: Any die score
Effect: Roll an extra die of destiny during the next threat phrase.

They are legion
Condition: One odd die and one even die
Effect: All troglodytes gain +1DEF until the beginning of your next Threat phase. Futhermore, you gain 2 TP if at least 1 troglodyte is killed during the human player's next action phase.

Resistance is futile
Condition: Die values must total to 9
Effect: None of the human warriors are elusive and troglodytes are elusive

Trap
Condition: Die values must total to 12+
Effect: A human warrior of your choice suffers a hit.

Changes to powers

Sounds from the deep / Abyssal threat:
Condition: No change (all dice must be odd or even / all the same color)
Effect:
Old - Gains 2TP per die
New - Gains 3TP per die

Dark destiny
Condition:
Old - One die with a score of 3 or more
New - Number of pips of 1 die

Effect:
Old - Draw and keep the number event cards tied to the number of dice
New - Draw number of event cards based off number of pips and only keep one and discard the rest

A taste for blood / Intrepid charge
Condition:
Old - Die values must total to 7
New - Die values must total to 7+

Effect: No change (can bring your warriors into play ignoring the empty tile restriction)

Burrowing Monsters / Sneaky charge
Condition:
Old - Die values must total to 11
New - Die values must total to 8+

Effect: No change (can bring warriors into play ignoring any tile with an opening restriction)

No changes to powers

Supernatural speed
Condition: Two dice with odd scores (old) or white result (new)
Effect: Troglodytes gain +1 movement

Sharpened claws / Frenzied creatures
Condition: Two dice with even scores (old) or red result (new)
Effect: Troglodytes gain frantic (old) or frenzied talent (new)

Hope this was informative. Let me know what you guys think of the changes and if it makes a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O. C.
Spain
flag msg tools
blablabla
badge
lololo
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job... At first glance, I prefer the old one.

MrFettuccine wrote:

Number of Powers

Old: 6
New: 10

I think you mean:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♪ I'll mourn over the marble steps ♬ Junkies of the world lay across the monuments ♫ I climb and blister on the mount ♪ Drunks take a piss where heroes once bled out ♪ ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that They Are Legion won't be in the new version. My opponents always used that coin generator on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
Interesting that They Are Legion won't be in the new version. My opponents always used that coin generator on me.
It's not a great TP generator, since you could get the same amount of TP by using one of the two dice on sounds from the deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaxte wrote:
Great job... At first glance, I prefer the old one.

MrFettuccine wrote:

Number of Powers

Old: 6
New: 10

I think you mean:

Thanks. Fixed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Fonseca
msg tools
Yeah,

Removed powers are really meh. Pretty useless i say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the original game but had read there were differences, so many thanks for taking the time to post them on here for everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weaver
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In some way, I will miss having some of the old options, but my hunch is that this will improve and focus the game. It seems there there will still be a lot of surprise actions taken in the form of cards. I think how they streamlined it here. Makes it more intuitive. The biggest improvement is making it so that letting baddies spawn ANYWHERE is a single ability rather than parcelled out over two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O. C.
Spain
flag msg tools
blablabla
badge
lololo
mbmbmbmbmb
Arturfel wrote:
Yeah,

I have won games as Demon Player thanks to They are legion, Resistance is futile and Trap... They are not useless at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand D
France
Paris Area
flag msg tools
Some powers were removed but demon player may now keep dice on the board if the power was not yet triggered from a turn to the other. Considering this, you will now be able to trigger 2 or 3 of them at the same turn. A now one dice can provide you 3 troglodytes.

So to my mind not only the options but the whole demon preparation phase has been changed and I assume balanced anew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaxte wrote:
Arturfel wrote:
Yeah,

I have won games as Demon Player thanks to They are legion, Resistance is futile and Trap... They are not useless at all.

It was not about them being useless. They were removed because they were very situational, and not commonly used.

They were removed to streamline the demon players turn, and maintain a quick back and forth.

It also looks like there is now dice options on the demon card as well, depending on the demon you are playing. So would be 7-8 instead of 6 powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwan Hascoët
France
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I invit you to read an article about changes between V1 and V2 in an update on the KS page. It explains the gamedesigners' choice on cards and destiny board:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/claustrophobi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galagaew wrote:
Kaxte wrote:
Arturfel wrote:
Yeah,

It was not about them being useless. They were removed because they were very situational, and not commonly used.

They were removed to streamline the demon players turn, and maintain a quick back and forth.

It also looks like there is now dice options on the demon card as well, depending on the demon you are playing. So would be 7-8 instead of 6 powers.

I was wrong, according to the new update it is 8-9 powers instead of the previous 10. With 2-3 of them being variable based upon demons being used.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/claustrophobi...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mizvak
Norway
Trøndelag
Cyberspace
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The old version has restriction on 6 powers/abilities that could only be used once per game. I could not find that these restrictions is implemented with the new rules. If so, then the new version will give the infernal player more options overall during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Alexandria Bay
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kvamzi wrote:
The old version has restriction on 6 powers/abilities that could only be used once per game. I could not find that these restrictions is implemented with the new rules. If so, then the new version will give the infernal player more options overall during the game.

That was a very unfortunate typo. It's once per turn, not once per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mizvak
Norway
Trøndelag
Cyberspace
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you're completely right! In the 1st ed. rulebook it was "once per game", but was corrected in the errata. Sorry!

Gyges wrote:
Kvamzi wrote:

That was a very unfortunate typo. It's once per turn, not once per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about you guys but the Infernal player just got a unneeded major boost. The Human player was already weak compared to the Infernal. I am surprised that this was not addressed and that those changes seem to make the situation even worse.

In our group "The Survivor" first scenario was won by the Infernal 9 out of 10.

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
owll wrote:
I don't know about you guys but the Infernal player just got a unneeded major boost. The Human player was already weak compared to the Infernal. I am surprised that this was not addressed and that those changes seem to make the situation even worse.

Owll

You are only looking at it from one side. The humans got buffed as well with the dual purpose cards that allow you to modify your dice rolls etc....

There are more overall changes than just this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petteri Heino
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
galagaew wrote:

That's what they say, but i never felt it took much time to decide what to do with the dice. After all you roll the dice and your dice roll already makes some of the choices not possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petteri Heino
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
galagaew wrote:
owll wrote:

Owll

You are only looking at it from one side. The humans got buffed as well with the dual purpose cards that allow you to modify your dice rolls etc....

There are more overall changes than just this.

Also the scenarios are not always balanced on purpose. You should always play one scenario at least twice changing the sides after first play and see if the other player do better with the faction you played the first play

I remember hearing that they actually made humans stronger on this version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.