393 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What board gaming terms bother you? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Brazen
msg tools
Microbadge: Death Note fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Starship Samurai fanMicrobadge: Fallout: New Vegas fanMicrobadge: Metal Gear fan
What are some terms, or even names for behaviors that bother you? i.e. I know some people don't like being told they're under "analysis paralysis".

One term I don't like is when someone describes a game and they use the term "this is a point salad kind of game." I don't know why, but I really dislike it. Let me be clear, I'm not saying I dislike "point salad" games. I like them actually. I just feel gross or ashamed when a game I like gets called a point salad.

Anyway, what about you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 7 Wonders fanMicrobadge: Tichu fanMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Agricola fan
Negative connotations in general are frustrating, but I understand them. I don’t like the terms Ameritrash or point salad, but only because they are often used to be reductive toward the people who worked hard to make them or the players who like them.

I’m not offended by the terms or anything, but the connotation or the use by certain people can feel like I’m wrong for liking some point salad games.

Let people like what they like. If you are insane and like ____________, then you are entitled to that. I’m glad you love that game. I don’t understand it, but I’m glad you like it.

There is a game or two that could go into the blanks here for me, but I’m just glad people like board games. I don’t have time or the determination to be upset that people like this specific type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This post has been removed by a moderator.
Sardines
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
Mangekyo wrote:
What are some terms, or even names for behaviors that bother you? i.e. I know some people don't like being told they're under "analysis paralysis".

One term I don't like is when someone describes a game and they use the term "this is a point salad kind of game." I don't know why, but I really dislike it. Let me be clear, I'm not saying I dislike "point salad" games. I like them actually. I just feel gross or ashamed when a game I like gets called a point salad.

Anyway, what about you?
I hate that Any board game with a campaign now is called a “legacy game”. I love legacy games, I just hate that people use the term for anything and everything that has a campaign nowa days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I CompostMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Rank 1 vs 100 is all the same, out of tens of thousandsMicrobadge: Golden Image Uploader
There is an alternate term in common usage that identifies the specially shaped pawns found in Carcassonne. I find the term cloying. I don't do cloying.

Quote:
cloy
verb
gerund or present participle: cloying

disgust or sicken (someone) with an excess of sweetness, richness, or sentiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bradlee
United States
Bolton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cosmic Encounter - I like BlueMicrobadge: Santorini fanMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: "I won't eat you!"Microbadge: Level 04 BGG poster
LateShacka wrote:
Mangekyo wrote:

Anyway, what about you?
I hate that Any board game with a campaign now is called a “legacy game”. I love legacy games, I just hate that people use the term for anything and everything that has a campaign nowa days.
But dUuUuUuUuUde, don't you know about Clue!? Once you write on those Clue sheets, there's no going back! You're destroying the components! It's a true Legacy game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Hiking fanMicrobadge: Gold game rater - I've rated 500+ games on the Geek
Using the phrase “playing competitively” can annoy me, as it may be used by people that think they’re more skilled or more strategic or playing the game better, or they’re just better than players that aren’t “playing competitively.”

“Thematic” annoys me, since I don’t think most games described as thematic are actually thematic. But I don’t really think the term has any agreed-upon definition at all. Simulation is a much clearer term.

“Kingmaking” can annoy me, as I think it is used far too loosely, and really there’s nothing wrong with it most of the time. Collusion would be a better term for when it’s actually a problem.

I don’t get annoyed by how others describe a game I like. They can call it ****ing trash for all I care. It’s just a box of cardboard. I don’t measure myself by the games I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I tend to do things my own way.

"Ruins immersion."

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Filler.

It's often degrading. Like "it's not a true gamer's game".
I'm sure many folks who use that word don't mean much, but myself, I get a very bad perception of the word myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Hiking fanMicrobadge: Gold game rater - I've rated 500+ games on the Geek
LateShacka wrote:
Mangekyo wrote:

Anyway, what about you?
Oh yeah, “Legacy” annoys me. I think it’s a useless term and the threads arguing about when to use it or not use it are less than useless. I love PL Season 1 and 2, but damn I wish Daviau hadn’t reused that word across his games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Microbadge: Classical Music fanMicrobadge: I play with blue!Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Period film fanMicrobadge: I edit my posts incessantly
"Synergy."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I CompostMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Rank 1 vs 100 is all the same, out of tens of thousandsMicrobadge: Golden Image Uploader
jujulautre wrote:
Filler.

I'm sure many folks who use that word don't mean much, but myself, I get a very bad perception of the word myself.
Try substituting "dessert game"; something light and tasty which perhaps follows completion of the main event (while still being fine all on its own).

{spelling edit}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mars - the red planet and next stop for humankindMicrobadge: Squadron Strike fanMicrobadge: Attack Vector: Tactical fanMicrobadge: Space Alert fanMicrobadge: Sci Fi Games fan
"Collectible". I mean, people collect Barbie shoes from the 1960's. Of course games are collectible: everything is.

(I actually don't mind it used as a term of art for constructible blind-purchase games. But there's always that one person who tries to use it with the generic meaning, which is basically useless.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TVis wrote:
There is an alternate term in common usage that identifies the specially shaped pawns found in Carcassonne. I find the term cloying. I don't do cloying.

Quote:
cloy
verb
gerund or present participle: cloying

disgust or sicken (someone) with an excess of sweetness, richness, or sentiment.
Are you talking about meeples? Are you suggesting we call them "specially shaped pawns" instead? It just might catch on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
TVis wrote:
jujulautre wrote:
Filler.

Try substituting "desert game"; something light and tasty which perhaps follows completion of the main event (while still being fine all on its own).
I like your suggestion. But since I can't fathom a desert without a main meal I won't use it. What about changing it to cake game though ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This post has been removed by a moderator.
Jared Lock
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Why do it now when you can do it later?Microbadge: I make my own insertsMicrobadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: Feeling Lucky!Microbadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
jujulautre wrote:
TVis wrote:
jujulautre wrote:
Filler.

Try substituting "desert game"; something light and tasty which perhaps follows completion of the main event (while still being fine all on its own).
I like your suggestion. But since I can't fathom a desert without a main meal I won't use it. What about changing it to cake game though ?
I don't like deserts, myself. All the sand gets in my teeth.

For me the term "game mechanics" bothers me. I mean, come on guys, clearly it's "game mechanisms". Precision in language please shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Several, but mentioning them will just start a fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chicago Bears fanMicrobadge: Go Bears!Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Chicago Bears fan - Walter PaytonMicrobadge: On a crusade to spread Eurogames
Cooperative
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Raiders of the North Sea fanMicrobadge: Keyflower fanMicrobadge: Lords of Vegas Contest participantMicrobadge: Snowdonia fanMicrobadge: Isla Dorada fan
Mangekyo wrote:

Anyway, what about you?
I am a Feld fan and also don't like that term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Pimping" a game. Bling would be so much nicer and accurate.
I never could figure out how a word for such a vile occupation could get the common acceptance it has now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cbazler wrote:
"Synergy."
... is not strictly a gaming term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Chicago Bears fanMicrobadge: Go Bears!Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Chicago Bears fan - Walter PaytonMicrobadge: On a crusade to spread Eurogames
Funny thing is that Terraforming Mars is a "point salad" game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sardines
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
I feel like the greatest perpetrator of all these terms we dislike is Tom Vasel.

He seems to be the one who perpetuates the incorrect use of all these terms and makes many of them popular.

He calls game without a “theme” (according to him) abstract... when an abstract game (in gaming lingo) is a game with minimal or no luck.

He calls everything with a campaign and opening of boxes legacy (he called the scythe campaign expansion legacy, creating much confusion for a lot of people)

He uses point salad to describe games a ton.

And many more things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Trajan FanMicrobadge: I'm a Concordia Vintner!Microbadge: I'm a Concordia Weaver!
TVis wrote:
jujulautre wrote:
Filler.

Try substituting "desert game";
You mean like:
Board Game: Through the Desert

Quote:
something light and tasty which perhaps follows completion of the main event (while still being fine all on its own).
Oh, you mean:
Board Game: Just Desserts

That second ‘s’ makes a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] |