8 Posts

Too Many Bones» Forums » Rules

Subject: What does it mean to “use” skill dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Grogg
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had an encounter where i could not use skill dice for the first two rounds. Im playing as duster. I took some dmg in round one but i wasnt sure if i could bring out nightshade before round two because his/her ini die is considered a skill die.

Does “use” mean roll? Ive played this game a ton and this has come up a few times with different gearlocs and their dice. Just looking for some clarification on what it means to actually “use” a skill die. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point.
My take on this has always been that the dice coming from the skill area of the Gearloc mat are skill dice, and the act of rolling them is considered using them.

There are also skill dice, like counters that could trigger even though you do not roll it, such as Tantrums Body Count (If I remember correctly this increases by one for each baddie he k.o's).
I would think such a Skill die would still be upticked if applicable and that it's only the act of rolling a skill die that is negated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vande Ven Jr.
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:
I see your point.
My take on this has always been that the dice coming from the skill area of the Gearloc mat are skill dice, and the act of rolling them is considered using them.

There are also skill dice, like counters that could trigger even though you do not roll it, such as Tantrums Body Count (If I remember correctly this increases by one for each baddie he k.o's).
I would think such a Skill die would still be upticked if applicable and that it's only the act of rolling a skill die that is negated.

This is how I played it, with Tantrum last night. But I did have the same question as the OP. Hoping I did it correctly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt V
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also wondering how this worked with Gasket, since he MUST roll his Hydro Valve die every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posse91 wrote:
I had an encounter where i could not use skill dice for the first two rounds. Im playing as duster. I took some dmg in round one but i wasnt sure if i could bring out nightshade before round two because his/her ini die is considered a skill die.

Does “use” mean roll? Ive played this game a ton and this has come up a few times with different gearlocs and their dice. Just looking for some clarification on what it means to actually “use” a skill die. Thanks

Just thought about the fact that if Duster is not at full health you actually wouldn't roll Nightshades die....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. F. Lewis
United States
flag msg tools
badge
This is Bloodmane (as depicted by Todd Lockwood) from my novel Grudgebearer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not an answer, but an observation.

While reading through the thread, I wasn't sure what the correct answer would be, but it didn't bother me. My internal response was, "Shannon will tell us; I'll just check back later."

I am so grateful for the various publishers and designers who participate actively on the BGG forums. And I'm thankful to CTG in particular for having the wonderful Shannon on the team and to Shannon herself for all of her kind, decisive, and insightful responses. So awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon (Stanza)
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pax, you just made my day It is my absolute pleasure to engage with this community!

To answer the question...

Some Encounters will forbid you from "rolling Skill dice." In this case, you can deploy Nightshade, use Counters, and use Skills already hanging out in your Active/Locked Slots. As long as you don't need to roll 'em, you can still use 'em.

If an Encounter says you can't "use Skill dice," that's more restrictive. You won't be able to bring out Nightshade, use your Counters like Axe Collector, etc. If it's a Skill die, you can't touch it (except Counters, which will still be ticked up but not used)

Hope that clarifies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Grogg
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh wow. Thanks Shannon. I guess ive been playing it right then. was actually hoping i was wrong lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.