BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Multiple distinct wishlists? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cassandra Thompson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently added my collection the site, and have started making use of the wishlist facility as I learn more about games.

However I find that I want to have categories of lists. For example, my friend just played a coop game with her kids for the first time (Outfoxed!, and asked me if any other cooperative games existed. I went looking specifically for coop games that would suit kids, and I found a dozen or so that I thought would suit her style, so I added them to the wishlist.

Now I find I would like to have a wishlist with just my personal favourites in it. The "really want" compared to the "heard this was okay, might check it out later" type lists.

I also am considering joining one of the Secret Santas, but I realise a convoluted wishlist will be confusing.

Is this what geeklists are for? Should I be making a "Coop games for my BFFs kids" geeklist? And a "I might look more closely at these" list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There’s a number ranking system (1-5) to sort with plus an area for comments. Most of use those two functions to clue in others, including Santa’s.

You can look at mine as an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Val's suggestion about using different values within wishlist can also be good and seems straightforward.

Other options: As you mentioned, Geeklists work well but they do require more work on your part to set them up. On the other hand, you can get input from others if you make a Geeklist.

You can also use tags. Or even set up another BGG account and make a separate wishlist in that account (although this would involve logging out and logging in, which could be a pain).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaibis wrote:
Is this what geeklists are for?

GeekLists can serve various purposes. That would be fine if you wished to do it. It probably takes more effort, though.

I think it wiser that you should investigate Tags. One game can be given multiple tags so it appeaars on different lists for you.

/wiki/page/Tags

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
As your collection gets bigger, it's harder to use it for more than one purpose.

If you think you'll just be temporarily collecting information for a friend or Secret Santa, you may want to add the Last Modified column to your collection view because you can sort with it to list the most recently modified games first. This won't be perfect, but it may be good enough. After you change columns and sorting, click on Permalink (upper right) and add the Permalink page to your Quickbar (top right) or bookmark it.

If you're using BGG on a computer, it may be easier to drag and drop interesting game links to a browser link folder* or a desktop folder or a text file--whatever you're most comfortable with. This won't be the tidiest solution, but it will allow easy manual rearrangement.

*For example, I have BGG as a primary bookmark in my browser. I deleted the name of the bookmark, so I just look for the "favicon" the BBG icon. To the right, I have a folder, also with the name deleted; it's to the right, so I know it goes with BGG. In that folder, I have a number of links and lists of game, with separators between the lists (right-click "New Separator" or similar). I can just drag game links to this folder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.