Subject: 4th Wound - alternative variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Trezise
United Kingdom
Rugby
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
(I wanted to make a 4th wound variant that penalised players rather than teleporting them to the doc's office as I feel that could open the game up to people purposefully getting wounds so they can teleport to that town)

If you take an additional wound when you already have three then your character is injured, place your character on its side.

An injured character cannot move or play poker cards in a fight.

To recover from being injured you must spend one action - when you do this, stand your miniature up.

- The Sheriff can arrest injured wanted characters
- A wanted character can rob an injured character
- Characters with Marshall points can arrest a wanted injured character
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Trezise
United Kingdom
Rugby
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't tried this out yet, but I would probably have it that your action just gets you to stand up.

The issue is, after 2 games, I know nobody currently playing my game will ever use the doc's office with how the base game rules wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the tricksy bit about game design and balance.

It's hard to not go too deep into the RPG rabbit hole. We want to add "realism" but we also want to keep things relatively light - because it's not an RPG or a "simulator". There's no ONE way to do any of this, and it's interesting to see what people come up with.

For us, we subtract 1 from Movement per Wound along with the -1 Poker Card per wound. It's easy to keep track of, relatively thematic, and mirrors an established and marked rule.

And as an example of too deep down the hole: Ammunition! You can carry a certain amount and buy more at the store or steal it from a rival. If you run out, you can't shoot! And if that's not deep enough for you: Different Calibers! arrrh Different guns use different bullets. "Tarnation! These don't fit!" shake

EDIT: Please note I'm not actually suggesting that you incorporate Ammunition TM as an actual house rule. Just making a quick stop in Hyperbolicville.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Kay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:

For us, we subtract 1 from Movement per Wound along with the -1 Poker Card per wound. It's easy to keep track of, relatively thematic, and mirrors an established and marked rule.

I like the idea but doesn't that render you completely immobile if you don't have a mount and have sustained two wounds? You have no way of getting to the docs or buying whiskey etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
outcasttex wrote:
Scarbuck wrote:

I like the idea but doesn't that render you completely immobile if you don't have a mount and have sustained two wounds? You have no way of getting to the docs or buying whiskey etc.

Could just make it -1 movement to a minimum of 1. I'd have to see it in action but seems rough if you're far out of town away from the doctor. Also feels really bad for Doc Holliday who starts with a wound.

How do you guys treat the cards that give you extra movement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas D.
Germany
flag msg tools
chbyer wrote:
outcasttex wrote:
Scarbuck wrote:

Could just make it -1 movement to a minimum of 1. I'd have to see it in action but seems rough if you're far out of town away from the doctor. Also feels really bad for Doc Holliday who starts with a wound.

How do you guys treat the cards that give you extra movement?

Y like you said, that rule sounds a little too harsh.

I kinda like the injured idea more: If you have 3 wounds and take an additional one you get injured and have effectively one less action on your turn. That hurts enough (haha) that you better pay that doc a visit asap before sb is wounding you again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.