Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens"

Quote:
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. — At least 11 bar patrons and a sheriff’s deputy were killed late Wednesday in a shooting at a country and western dance hall in Thousand Oaks, Calif., that was holding an event for college students, officials said.

The gunman is dead, officials said early Thursday, adding that there was no longer a threat to those at the bar, which had been filled with about 100 people at the time of the attack.

The Ventura County sheriff, Geoff Dean, said there were “multiple other victims of different levels of injuries.” His voice cracking, he identified the slain sheriff’s deputy as Ron Helus. When other law enforcement officers arrived at the scene of the shooting, he added, the suspect had already died.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/us/shooting-california-th...

Bolded part indicates the falsehood regarding the "good guy with a gun" theory about prevention. The police officer knew there was a shooting going on, yet still perished.

How long will we be allowing this to happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
“If only cops were armed...”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:

How long before it becomes our national sport?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don’t worry; I have a feeling that this particular massacre will be tbe last straw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a cowboy bar. Where were the six shooters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is it shooters have against country music?

What song was on the jukebox, or was there a live band?

From the article:

“It’s safe. It’s a safe place to be,” said Erika Sigman, a sophomore at Cal State Channel Island. “You can stay out all night at Borderline because there’s major security.”

John, was born in Ventura
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people there were at the Vegas shooting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the cop who was killed when he (bravely) went in, the first victim was a security guard.

But apart from ruining the lives of those who loved the victims, this'll change nothing. Because, freedom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

No but there was a group of brave man who stood as human shields for those escaping through the windows. One of the survivors is calling them true heroes and I agree.

The deputy is reported to have been shot multiple times on Entry to the building so I'm expecting this is going to be a semi-automatic weapon, probably an AR-15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:

How long before it becomes our national sport?

How much longer until the government declares a "Purge" day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
And once again, it'll all just boil down to "thoughts and prayers", thoughts and prayers. Sorry you're all dead, but at least we said a prayer ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
The deputy is reported to have been shot multiple times on Entry to the building so I'm expecting this is going to be a semi-automatic weapon, probably an AR-15.
The article indicates a witness saying he had a "big handgun". But, you're probably right a semi-automatic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If only the bar had three more cops present and every patron was armed to the teeth, this wouldn't have happened!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

The internet says it was a (legally purchased) handgun - Glock .45
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

The internet says it was a (legally purchased) handgun - Glock .45

Ah. That probably explains the relatively low kill number. Smaller magazine. With a larger magazine there would have been deaths closer to the other club shooting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
eaglebeak wrote:
Don’t worry; I have a feeling that this particular massacre will be tbe last straw.
Yeah, If Sandy Hook didn't do it, it will take someone's kid in the upper power structure of the oligarchy to get killed before anything moves on this. Crazy people with guns is a part of the American dream for the foreseeable future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
The real fix for this kind of problem is that when you go to a bar and pay your cover charge, they issue you a handgun from their fully stocked rack of weapons. That way, everyone will be able to respond in kind when a shooter tries to muscle their way inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own a gun.

I don't want to own a gun.

I know that a gun without a human controlling it couldn't kill anyone.

I believe that purchasing a gun should be the hardest thing to buy, ever.

If I could have it my way I wish for a world void of guns.

As for the argument that people can get guns any way so why have gun control laws, I say the same thing about abortion, why have laws against abortion when people are going to have them any way?

I have many friends who own guns, they collectively groan when a mass shooting is reported, they feel the heat by people's anger from these shootings and pretty much wish they wouldn't happen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I just am so proud and happy I live in a country where lunatics have easy access to killing machines and the freedom to enter public places to slaughter strangers.

The local cops are in for some heat, by the way. Evidently, local cops were called to this guy's house in April where he exhibited behavior that was erratic and irate. As the shooter is a former Marine who might have issues such as PTSD, it might have behooved the cops to call for some counseling and a 72-hour stay at the local mental health facility. But naw, too much paperwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I have many friends who own guns, they collectively groan when a mass shooting is reported, they feel the heat by people's anger from these shootings and pretty much wish they wouldn't happen...

Well, that’s good, I guess. Really restores my faith in gun owners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Some people there were at the Vegas shooting.

That manages to make this even more horrific. But that was bound to happen. Won’t be the last time either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I Has a Stick! A Tiny Green Stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel uncomfotable with conspiracy theories, and try to be aware of them.

The problem is that some theories are true.

So, fully cognizant of how this sounds like a poorly written spy novel, I would like to put forward to the forum an odd alignment of facts.

I think most of us were surprised to learn that the NRA was receiving substantial donations from the oligarchy, some for chaneling to the Trump campaign, some for their their own use. Apparently, this has been going on for several years.

The set of possible motives for enriching the pro-gun lobby is small. Now, I'm quite suspicious that in the viewpoint of the leaders of the Russian Federation, ridiculous numbers of weapons flooding our country is a useful disruptive force.

This could explain the constant drum beat of "They want to take away our guns!" whenever a Democrat is elected. The Russian leadership is making sure we have more weapons than we could hope to control. Also, it will be interesting during the upcoming trials to learn when and in what amounts these enemies of our society sent aid to their cat's paws. Was there a bump after Sandy Hook, after Virginia Tech, after Parkland, after Pittsberg? Is this why the gun lobby can consistently outspend the control advocates?

Otherwise, just what is the Russian motivation? Deep discounts on rental cars and hotel rooms?

OK, taking off my tinfoil hat, and...

Damn. The Russians are still real, still attacking our society.

If you want to argue that the Russian influence payments were totally innocent, well then... *offers his hat* You need this more than I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if there is a goal with the Russian influence it is more along the lines with supporting extremist, divisive rhetoric than actually buying guns. Though that is a side effect they wouldn't be unhappy about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
eaglebeak wrote:
Yeah, If Sandy Hook didn't do it, it will take someone's kid in the upper power structure of the oligarchy to get killed before anything moves on this. Crazy people with guns is a part of the American dream for the foreseeable future.

Or perhaps we can start dumping all of the bodies on Trump's favorite golf courses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.