Hide
6 Posts

Betrayal Legacy» Forums » General

Subject: Can this be played as a standalone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have considered buying BATHOTH but have some reservations due to comments of the haunts being difficult to understand (for new players).

I am wondering whether Betrayal Legacy, which (based on the IGN video I've seen) seems to streamline some of these rules and make them easier to follow, can be played as a standalone/non-legacy?

If so, do you have to complete the entire campaign before you can do so, or can it be played standalone/non-legacy out of the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the prologue can be played as a standalone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Collier
msg tools
I believe the intent is to play through the legacy campaign first. and then after that you will have your own unique copy that can be played stand alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the designers answered the same question for another fellow and said the prologue was not stand alone. You play the legacy campaign from beginning to end (about 16 haunts out of the 50), and when your done you can play 'standard' and explore the other 34 unused haunts. But im' afraid if your looking for the base experience, this one won't give it to you out of the box.

The game is not difficult to understand and most haunts that have 'issues' can be easily played if the group is willing to discus it and agree to how they think it should be interpreted. Out of the games i've played, i've only had 1 that the haunt was so bad we had to sit down (both Traitor and Investigators), examine both haunt guides, and figure out the spirit/intent of the haunt. Once we did that, we had a good time...but that haunt came out of the Widow Walk expansion, which has a few 'guest writers' that i'm not convinced acutally knew enough of the rules to play the game, let alone write a haunt for it.

The game is fantastic. You just have to have a group that can accept the fact they will have to make calls during play of how to play things. If your group can do that, then you will really enjoy this game. Also, winning isn't the point of the game. The point of the game is to enjoy the story as it unfolds. Anyone looking to win games and gets upset when they lose...will HATE this game.

If your lucky maybe you'll find a copy at a thrift store or your local game store might have a copy you can rent to see how you like it. Betrayal Legacy was an instabuy for my group (we even bought two copies because we have more then 5 in our expanded group who want to play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Wong
msg tools
mb
insightfulstrike wrote:
I think the prologue can be played as a standalone.

If you watch the IGN playthrough video, you’ll find that the prologue is very difficult to play as a standalone game for a few reasons.

Rooms
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There won’t be many rooms in the house.

Cards
You will only have one Omen card available.

Plot (Big Spoiler)
The biggest twist is that the game makes players think there is a hidden traitor that needs to be killed. There isn’t, so the game is actually a battle royale and knowledge of this may greatly affect repeat playthroughs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCrease wrote:
I have considered buying BATHOTH but have some reservations due to comments of the haunts being difficult to understand (for new players).

I am wondering whether Betrayal Legacy, which (based on the IGN video I've seen) seems to streamline some of these rules and make them easier to follow, can be played as a standalone/non-legacy?

If so, do you have to complete the entire campaign before you can do so, or can it be played standalone/non-legacy out of the box?

Short answer: No, this can't be played as a standalone.

Long answer: No, this can't be played as a standalone, but you can play through it with any combination of groups you want, with mixed player counts as you go, and when you're done you'll have a standalone game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.