GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,610 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Blood Rage» Forums » General

Subject: Chaos vs BR (and RS) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steven mathers
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
This might be a triggering post for some - I come in peace!

As for me, my favourite game of this trio, by a fair margin, is Chaos in the Old World - so much so that it inspired my own game (I describe how here, if interested) https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2053641/wip-kingdoms-cresce...

The thing I like most about Chaos seems to dwindle away in the latter games - specifically the way that Chaos is about slowly piecing together a board position that is fairly sticky from turn to turn, but over the course of a game can change radically from start to finish. Its just the right amount of 'position is important, but this is not trench warfare' feel.

Whereas for BR and RS, Lang seems to have gone for a much more fluid feel with position - its still important within a round as you place pieces but position is so easily blown away by losing a battle. It feels too.. not sure of the word - precarious? If thats a desirable thing for some (which I get it - it might be) then I still think the rubber banding with the exponentially increasing scoring, *combined* with the precarious board position serves to make the first round in particular almost irrelevant. Whereas in Chaos, the first rounds never seem irrelevant, because although the scoring builds the same way, it is not AS exponential, and the corruption you drop from round to round is important and hard to remove, even if the critters that dropped it are subsequently blown away.

Perhaps you can argue that the 'position' you are building in BR is more about your card hand - thats the thing that has the most persistence from round to round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't consider these games all that similar to each other, but I think you've made a fair assessment here, and Chaos is my favorite of the three (especially with Horned Rat expansion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven mathers
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
SirHandsome wrote:
I don't consider these games all that similar to each other, but I think you've made a fair assessment here, and Chaos is my favorite of the three (especially with Horned Rat expansion)

Fair point - if they didnt have the same designer they probably wouldnt be mentioned in the same breath, except as 'area control games'.

A better comparison might be Kemet to BR. Same build an 'engine' rather than a 'position' feel, and if anything, Kemet is even more precarious on the board - in fact you dont even want to stay on the board a lot of the time because weakened armies are just an opportunity for someone else to score. I like Kemet least of all for this reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Chaos, but (also probably a hotly debated opinion) my thought is: Cthulhu Wars > Rising Sun > Blood Rage > Kemet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevenmathers wrote:
Fair point - if they didnt have the same designer they probably wouldnt be mentioned in the same breath, except as 'area control games'.

A better comparison might be Kemet to BR.

100% agreed. When I first played Blood Rage, I walked away thinking it had less to do with CitOW than I had heard, but that it had completely fired Kemet for me

Talae wrote:
I haven't played Chaos, but (also probably a hotly debated opinion) my thought is: Cthulhu Wars > Rising Sun > Blood Rage > Kemet

Really wanna try Cthulu Wars, it seems potentially really good. I have the same order as you otherwise! (Chaos > Rising Sun > Blood Rage > Kemet)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Kemet but the terrible kingmakery end game was very unsatisfying.

Loved CitOW, but I do appreciate the draft aspect of Blood Rage. One of our players has an irrational dislike (I feel) for CitOW.

This post makes me want to pull out CitOW again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
Really wanna try Cthulu Wars, it seems potentially really good. I have the same order as you otherwise! (Chaos > Rising Sun > Blood Rage > Kemet)

SH, with your affection for Cosmic Encounter, I think you would really like Cthulhu Wars. CE was an influence on the game absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.