GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,066 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
42 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Viticulture Essential Edition» Forums » General

Subject: New player mat design rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jamey Stegmaier raised the idea of a double-layered player mat, similar to the one in Scythe.

Double Layered Player Mats

The concept seems to have been shelved for now, but I for one think it’s great and would be very happy to see it made.

I put together this prospective design on my computer (thanks to Jamey for letting me butcher his artwork).

The main features are:

Recesses for grape/wine tokens.
The crush pads for each grape are now lined up horizontally with one long recess. This is more consistent with the cellar layout and should afford a bit more stability. I think it also makes it easier to see the values of other players’ grapes.

Recesses for workers.
The meeples get their own recessed area near to the crush pad (so you can have them stomp grapes while they’re not in the fields). Six spaces to indicate the worker limit.

Recesses for buildings.
The cost is contained inside the recess and is covered when the building is slotted in.

Field tiles.
No more floppy cards. Each field has a tile which can be removed to reveal a “sold” sign underneath. I thought the tile itself could have the regular artwork on one side, and an orange structure space on the other to remind players that they can build on their fields.

The construction mat extension from Tuscany.

A money area.
Just for the hell of it.

Just to be clear, this is my own work and not something that Stonemaier are planning to produce (although I hope they do).

What do people think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say that I didn't like the idea, because of how nice it is to slide the glass beads around, but then I looked at how you rearranged the board layout, and I think you did a really good job. The only thing I'd say is that the indents for the field tiles need a little semicircle cutout on one of the edges so that they can be easily removed. I don't think I'd use the money area, but other than that, I like what you've done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janus Lin
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it!

I like the linear crush pad and reasoning. I wonder if the cellar should be below the crush pad lines so that you “slide” the token down to the corresponding cellar spot, but I suppose it would be not be space efficient, and you sometimes “add” grapes together anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good.
I think the worker should have space for 7 workers (5 normal, 1 Grande and one bonus worker from the last wake up position on the Tuscany board.) I have seen a few games with 7 workers in play.

I use the field tiles from Original Tuscany as I don't like those flimsy cards either. Will the new field tiles be the same size? Also how hard is it to remove a field to sell it?

How easy is it to remove the grape/wine tokens? They are hard enough to pick up form a flat surface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
I was going to say that I didn't like the idea, because of how nice it is to slide the glass beads around, but then I looked at how you rearranged the board layout, and I think you did a really good job. The only thing I'd say is that the indents for the field tiles need a little semicircle cutout on one of the edges so that they can be easily removed. I don't think I'd use the money area, but other than that, I like what you've done!

Thanks. Yes, you’re right. The field tiles would need a little notch so they can be lifted out easily. I’ll put that into the design at some point. I’m not sure about the money area either, but it might be useful for people with limited table space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
janus19390 wrote:
Love it!

I like the linear crush pad and reasoning. I wonder if the cellar should be below the crush pad lines so that you “slide” the token down to the corresponding cellar spot, but I suppose it would be not be space efficient, and you sometimes “add” grapes together anyway.

Thanks. I considered the same thing, but I’m not sure if it would work as the recess would stop you being able to slide tokens directly up or down. There might be issues with the artwork too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
Looks good.
I think the worker should have space for 7 workers (5 normal, 1 Grande and one bonus worker from the last wake up position on the Tuscany board.) I have seen a few games with 7 workers in play.

I use the field tiles from Original Tuscany as I don't like those flimsy cards either. Will the new field tiles be the same size? Also how hard is it to remove a field to sell it?

How easy is it to remove the grape/wine tokens? They are hard enough to pick up form a flat surface.

Thanks. My feeling is that six spaces would be good as a visual (and physical) reminder of the limit. As for the field tiles, I don’t own the original Tuscany but I suppose they might be a similar size. As Brent pointed out, they would need a little notch to help removal.

This is just an on-paper design, but I don’t think picking the tokens up would be too hard. The advantage of the long recess is that it gives a little space on either side of the token to get your fingers in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ricker
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea! Count me in for 5 board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heisey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes please. I need this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popular Culture
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think I’d like to see some designer viticulture farmers and grande workers for each of the colours first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janus Lin
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Popularculture wrote:
I think I’d like to see some designer viticulture farmers and grande workers for each of the colours first.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/meeplesource/painted-ch...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bechamimi wrote:
flaquito wrote:

Thanks. Yes, you’re right. The field tiles would need a little notch so they can be lifted out easily. I’ll put that into the design at some point. I’m not sure about the money area either, but it might be useful for people with limited table space.

Something like this I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Barker
United States
California
flag msg tools
Take my money!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
take my money too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

Will you by chance be posting the files?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
The notch could be placed on the player board instead of the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
Awesome!

Will you by chance be posting the files?

It's only images. I've put them all up on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
The notch could be placed on the player board instead of the tiles.

Yeah, that could work too. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricker wrote:
I love the idea! Count me in for 5 board

I’ll take 6!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Wouldn't it be easier to make a dedicated "Sold" sign to place on any sold field? It would not require any cut-out... which I think would provide a better aesthetic and user-experience than a drop-in tile with a notch somewhere. It could be a small card or a punched out piece of cardboard.

Am I missing some functionality that these cards provide?

As far as the rest of cutouts go, it would be neat to have the cutouts for the buildings, but I agree that the wine/grape tokens might be clumsy. I also wonder if there might be some potential adhesion issues with those long thin lines.

Why hasn't embossing/debossing made its way into board games yet? Probably tooling cost, but there are a lot of unnecessary upgrades in games. The cardboard is thick enough. They could stamp a little indent at each grape location where each token would settle. I think I have gone a little off-course. Going back to cut-outs: maybe you could punch holes that are just barely too small for the token. That means each piece could settle just inside the hole, but easily be pushed out and to the next position.

I think I just talked myself out of a dual layer board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Brandizzle wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to make a dedicated "Sold" sign to place on any sold field? It would not require any cut-out... which I think would provide a better aesthetic and user-experience than a drop-in tile with a notch somewhere. It could be a small card or a punched out piece of cardboard.

Am I missing some functionality that these cards provide?

As far as the rest of cutouts go, it would be neat to have the cutouts for the buildings, but I agree that the wine/grape tokens might be clumsy. I also wonder if there might be some potential adhesion issues with those long thin lines.

Why hasn't embossing/debossing made its way into board games yet? Probably tooling cost, but there are a lot of unnecessary upgrades in games. The cardboard is thick enough. They could stamp a little indent at each grape location where each token would settle. I think I have gone a little off-course. Going back to cut-outs: maybe you could punch holes that are just barely too small for the token. That means each piece could settle just inside the hole, but easily be pushed out and to the next position.

I think I just talked myself out of a dual layer board.

Thanks for your feedback. A dedicated “sold” sign would be good, as long as it didn’t get in the way of the vine cards.

For me, removable / flippable tiles keep the player space clean, and would have a nice tactility. They could of course have the field on one side and the “sold” sign on the other, similar to how the current cards work.

There is also the possibility of leveraging some expanded gameplay from them. Special tiles, say, for which you permanently sacrifice a field for some ongoing benefit. But I’m probably getting ahead of myself there.

Embossed / punched indents is another good idea, but I wonder how much additional stability they’d give the tokens. Admittedly, I live in a land of earthquakes so I’m probably overly cautious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not been a fan of the dual layer player board concept ever since Jamey floated the idea. But....you concept doesn't suck. It looks pretty usable actually, the linear crush pad layout solves my major reservation about it.

Perhaps making the sold field tile double sided would be another way to do it. Flip to a sold side when you sell the field, then you retain the level surface there. That said the current concept would work fine as well.

One thing to remember is that the structure wooden bits aren't all the same shape, so the cutout would need to be a different rectangle or square for each.

Finally, I would want the main background art to remain. There's still Formaggio & Arboriculture boards to set alongside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to see a better player board for Viticulture even just to house the field cards better as they have always felt a bit tacked on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I don't think that the fields need to be anything inset/flippable/reversible. They could just have the field printed on the board normally. The only time a field can be sold is when it's empty, so there could just be cardboard "Sold" tokens to place on the empty field to indicate that state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.