JoeAubrey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
in more boxes
badge
mbmbmb
The flippable fields ensures they list the appropriate buy/sell price.

My first reaction is that I don't always play with Structures. I like that it's a removable module so it's not confusing to new players not using Structures.

I think you did solve some of the concerns with the grape/wine tokens with the new linear design, but I think it would still not be user friendly to remove the grape tokens. They don't have hard edges for your fingers and it's likely you'd bump or push neighboring tokens when picking them up. With the current design I usually slide the tokens off the mat in any direction I please. With this design I'd have to pick them up, and I don't see how that's solving any problems.

You could use different grape/wine pieces that are easier to pick up so you could use this double layered board, but that seems like creating a problem to use a solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
I have not been a fan of the dual layer player board concept ever since Jamey floated the idea. But....you concept doesn't suck. It looks pretty usable actually, the linear crush pad layout solves my major reservation about it.

Perhaps making the sold field tile double sided would be another way to do it. Flip to a sold side when you sell the field, then you retain the level surface there. That said the current concept would work fine as well.

One thing to remember is that the structure wooden bits aren't all the same shape, so the cutout would need to be a different rectangle or square for each.

Finally, I would want the main background art to remain. There's still Formaggio & Arboriculture boards to set alongside.

Thanks. Yes, having the “sold” sign on the reverse of the field tile would also work well. Keeping the tile in the board would remove clutter too.

Fair point about the building recesses. I was lazy and used the same square shape for all of them. I’ll update that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeAubrey wrote:
The flippable fields ensures they list the appropriate buy/sell price.

My first reaction is that I don't always play with Structures. I like that it's a removable module so it's not confusing to new players not using Structures.

I think you did solve some of the concerns with the grape/wine tokens with the new linear design, but I think it would still not be user friendly to remove the grape tokens. They don't have hard edges for your fingers and it's likely you'd bump or push neighboring tokens when picking them up. With the current design I usually slide the tokens off the mat in any direction I please. With this design I'd have to pick them up, and I don't see how that's solving any problems.

You could use different grape/wine pieces that are easier to pick up so you could use this double layered board, but that seems like creating a problem to use a solution.

Thanks. One option might be to have a tile over the structure spaces too, with just clean artwork on the reverse.

I take your point about the grape recesses. It’s really a trade-off between maneuverability of the tokens, and their stability on the board. As Brandizzle mentions above, embossing the crush pad and cellar with little depressions might be a good alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
Honestly, I don't think that the fields need to be anything inset/flippable/reversible. They could just have the field printed on the board normally. The only time a field can be sold is when it's empty, so there could just be cardboard "Sold" tokens to place on the empty field to indicate that state.

True. I think a lot of people use the current field cards solely for that purpose. The thing I like about the tiles is that there would be no need for extra components, and flipping tiles just feels nice (or maybe that’s just me).

I can also foresee tiles being an avenue for future expansions / variants, e.g. special tiles that replace a field with some new gameplay element. Then again, does the game need that? Not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would print it out and just cut it with a Acto Knife. But if possible I would also buy them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I put together a physical prototype, using MS Paint, some cardboard and plenty of glue.

It’s not quite as ambitious as what I previously envisaged, but it has most of the key features. Namely...

Double-layering
Recesses for buildings, workers and grape/wine tokens
Flippable field tiles
Bigger size

The field tiles flip between the active and “sold” states. A notch in the tile helps with removal and shows the value of the field underneath.

The major alterations to the board’s layout are that the crush pads are now lined up horizontally, with the worker area situated above them. I also had to heighten the cellar to accommodate the recesses.

The building recesses are in each player colour and are cut to the shape of the building. The building’s cost is covered when the building is placed on the board.

From having road-tested it with the Automa and with a friend, here are my initial, totally biased, impressions:

Grape tokens are more secure and it’s easier to slide multiple tokens from left to right. Moving tokens from the crush pad to the cellar can be a bit more fiddly, but removal is easily done by pushing or pulling them against the upper or lower side of the recess.

Flippable field tiles seem to work well - it’s nice, at least, to not have the field card dangle over the edge (although the vine cards still do a bit).

In general, the recesses secure the components and make it feel like they have a “home” on the board.

What do people think?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bechamimi wrote:
What do people think?

I'm in love.

These are exactly the types of upgrades I love to do for my games. I particularly like the recesses foe the buildings, but all of it looks great!

Fantastic work! Please upload the files.

As an aside, did you use a thinner chipboard for the bottom layer than the top?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Harding
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
"The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad." - Salvador Dali
badge
Mostly harmless
mbmbmbmbmb
That is fantastic! I would love such an upgrade for my copy. Perhaps once my crafting skills improve...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thejadeape wrote:
Bechamimi wrote:
What do people think?

I'm in love.

These are exactly the types of upgrades I love to do for my games. I particularly like the recesses foe the buildings, but all of it looks great!

Fantastic work! Please upload the files.

As an aside, did you use a thinner chipboard for the bottom layer than the top?

Thanks for the GeekGold Greg.

I need to do a little work to the files, but I'll put them up as soon as I can. Both layers of the board are made from 2mm-thick cardboard, which I scavenged from the back of some cheap sketch pads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the GeekGold Mitch.

Putting it together wasn't too tricky, although cutting everything out was a bit laborious. I'll upload the files at some point.

mitcharf wrote:
That is fantastic! I would love such an upgrade for my copy. Perhaps once my crafting skills improve...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That turned out great! It seems like laying the buildings down made it a bit more complicated to produce than necessary, though it seems to have worked out well.

I may steal your files & make that minor tweak to just stand them up (my group usually just stands the buildings up anyway). Then I might tack the Tuscany structure and Aboriculture/Formaggio boards on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be all over this if/when you post the files. I will probably just cut a general space for the structure tokens to sit in. Intricate cut-work is hard to make look good with thick game cardboard.

Would your current file allow a general cut-out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Glenbrook
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But the cutouts are so deluxe.

You are right, though. The thought of cutting that windmill out six times and making them all look good gives me the willies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've seen people stand up the structures and others like to lay them down. I've done both because I'm not sure which I actually like more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris. When I’ve finished the files, I’ll upload two versions - one for lying the buildings down, and one for standing them up. The only thing with standing them up is that parts might get a little buried in the top layer (yoke wheels, irrigation legs etc.) Depends how thick the card is I guess.

claudermilk wrote:
That turned out great! It seems like laying the buildings down made it a bit more complicated to produce than necessary, though it seems to have worked out well.

I may steal your files & make that minor tweak to just stand them up (my group usually just stands the buildings up anyway). Then I might tack the Tuscany structure and Aboriculture/Formaggio boards on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Darin. Your GeekGold has given me enough to finally buy an avatar.

Yes, it wasn’t easy to make those fine cuts. I’ll upload a second version with square and rectangular recesses that the buildings will fit into when standing.

dbolyard wrote:
I will be all over this if/when you post the files. I will probably just cut a general space for the structure tokens to sit in. Intricate cut-work is hard to make look good with thick game cardboard.

Would your current file allow a general cut-out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome work. I had been wanting this exact upgrade for years now. Please post here when you have the final files uploaded, as I’ll be making these ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacNab
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve put up a file.

Double-layered Viticulture player mat

This version has recesses for standing structures, not lying down. This makes the recesses considerably easier to cut out, and gives more room for the coin icons.

Let me know if you have any questions or feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, it looks awesome!

I know what I'll be doing over Christmas break
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.