GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,505 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Seasons» Forums » General

Subject: Seasons - in-game drafting, a different idea for game dynamics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysztof Balauszko
Poland
flag msg tools
I want adventures! (Let's play some games)
badge
Let's see what games we have on this shelf ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks, I know I'm kind of late here with this subject and that's why I'll try to write an introduction. I don't know if anyone is going to ever read this and in case someone does - skip to the last paragraph - "CONCLUSION" if you don't want to read some emotional confessions and moaning. From time to time I come back to the titles which our group left behind for some reason. In many cases the games felt different, unique and also great but then at some point something bad regarding some mechanisms was being realized and we were done with the game forever. And in many cases, even if a second edition came it didn't fix the problem. So I say that many games shoot themselves in the foot and I could give lots of examples ( I wonder if there is such a thread somewhere) and what you stay with is great memories of the game before you found it's faults. And you don't play it anymore because you don't want to ruin those memories

With Seasons, I had an issue from the very beginning - despite loving it's innovativeness and most of it's mechanisms and looks. I've tried finding some draft ideas on the net but found none that address the real issue, which is - the whole game being actually decided before it even starts - that is - during the draft phase. That part lasts about 5 minutes, and there is no telling how the ongoing choices are specifically going to impact the actual endgame score. Especially if you think about familiars that only disturb other players occasionally. Then you play for 2 hours to see what that draft actually does point wise.

In many cases what you do here is only intuitive - and to give a clear example - I've once drafted a pure hand of "static" artifacts that were able to score me about 300 points. One of the players, however drafted without any special attention, as later revealed, many familiars that were just stealing from others. My final score was about 150 and the highest score was about 170. Counting that prior to the game was pointless as there were too many factors to count in. But the result was just disappointing since this occurrence and to such an extent seemed to be just a coincidence. That's too much for such a long game.

My idea of the game, before I've played it, was: it's quick, not heavy but tactically deep - and you want to play it many times in a row. Well it looked like that to me at least And the reason it doesn't come even close to this picture is because of it's structure. The cards and general rules are fine. It's just that you have to plan too much ahead, before the game starts and then the rest of the game seems just too predictable, yet slow; Not to mention that spontaneous drawing of additional cards which makes it just inconsistent regarding the whole huge conscious draft at the beginning and the negative interactions that only destroy other's engines (which is just frustrating in an engine building game, by the way). If the game is just a combo maker, with some planning ahead and is considered a draft game in a way, with possibility of getting additional random cards and lots of tactics (I think it's too complex and unpredictable to be considered really strategic)... it shouldn't be too long and heavy.

CONCLUSION: The draft should happen in the beginning of every year. It just seems more natural that way to me. Not sure what rules to use exactly though. Sure, if you want to plan a bit ahead and make bigger combos, than maybe draft five cards, 3 for year I, 1 for year II and 1 for year III, or something like that, and than do additional drafting every year. Whatever the exact option, I think it would speed the game up drastically and also make it more fun cutting most of the counting that happens before game and also make you a bit less dependent on die rolls since your plans would be simply smaller. What that would also do, is make you able to react to other player's tactics. You could simply change your direction to avoid something or mess with other players more dynamically by drafting accordingly in upcoming years. Maybe the whole transmuting thing would happen more often because your plans for playing cards would be simpler. The high scores would be lower, and that's good. That's my Idea, never tried it though as no one I know would like to change official rules to play anything. People play other games or "move to other games" instead, which is often very sad because it leaves great ideas and great artwork to rot in underdeveloped structures forever. Often the problem is possible to solve, yet no one does it and few people like using unofficial rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you. Drafting only at the beginning of the game is the major winning factor, that can only be weight down if the player makes mistakes after, or he gets attacked by the other players.

I'd rather make a draft each year, so that your strategy and possibilities can evolve throughout the game.

Plus, it's easier to teach new players with multiple small drafts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Balauszko
Poland
flag msg tools
I want adventures! (Let's play some games)
badge
Let's see what games we have on this shelf ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree on both points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume T.
France
Reunion island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks like a good alternative to the initial draft.
I'll try it next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I think I will give this a go, sounds good

will report back

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.