GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,813 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Which 3 Games Would You Suggest Every Gamer Should Try At Least Once? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeroen van der Valk
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Because 3 is a good number. And it makes the choice a tad more difficult.

Also, if so inclined, what are your reasons for each game suggested? Could be a game mechanism, setting, designer, etcetera...

Paul Koenig's Market Garden: Nijmegen Bridge (or any other in the series) : For an introductory wargame which is pure hex-and-counter, with Zones of Control and chit pull activation.

a COIN game (any one, really) : For what a heavy game really feels like, and why the series is so good, and why the core mechanism is such a brilliant piece of game design.

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition : For what an "app"-driven game can do narratively and for suspense. The device is not in your face, just cast it to a nearby screen and let the story take you in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Civilization - to see where the Civ games started and why it is still the gold standard
1830 - to see what the 18xx thing is all about
High Frontier - Pure Eklund, and what a 'simulation' means
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
1830, because it's a beautiful game that spawned a whole genre of games. I recommend trying to get into a game with at least one reasonably experienced player, so the game runs smoothly. If it does, it's a game that's highly interactive, and even though it's long, it's engaging all the time. Also, it shows that replayability doesn't require random setup.

Millennium Blades, especially for anyone who has ever looked at a CCG and thought "If I start with this, it'll be the end of me". I don't enjoy randomness in games, but in this game I enjoy it very much. It does such a good job of dumping way too much information on you, and at the same time making it manageable. Even though I've never been a CCG-collector myself, this game makes me feel like I have. It's just great.

Container, this game is easier to explain than just about any other game I own. People can just pick it up and start playing. But the strategy is super deep. It's a good idea to recommend that people don't buy their own shipments in auctions, so the game doesn't stall, but if you do that, even with all new players the game is tense all the time and goes fast. It's all pure player interaction. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express to learn that the margin of victory is meaningless, and to learn how to evaluate game states.

For Sale because it's always fun, and that's what games should be about.

The Campaign for North Africa, because then they will only be physically able to play 3 games in their lifetime, and don't need to worry about the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Tragedy Looper - A massively innovative deduction mystery game

XCOM: The Board Game - If I have only 3 to fill, might as well triple down on app game, co-op game and real time game.

The Red Dragon Inn - Pooki is hilarious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twister
Maybe only once, but it's such an insane take on area control that you're doing yourself no favors if you haven't tried it. It's more fun than people think if you play it "like a gamer," making sure to block other players and muscle them right off the board.

Dungeons and Dragons
Maybe you love it...maybe you hate it...but it's so intertwined into gamer geek culture that you should at least have an inkling as to what's going on there.

Monopoly
Sure most gamers hate it, but every gamer should have at least one game of Monopoly under their belt, played correctly with no house rules, so at least they have some idea what they're talking about when they trash it.

Pete (enjoys all three of these games a lot)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
The three that they think look super fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestions:

Eldritch Horror - This is a very good representation of an AmeriTrash co-op game. It has a very popular theme, provides hours of entertainment and is gratifying after game play. (again, just my opinion).

Terraforming Mars - This game is popular for a reason, it has solid game rules, lots of depth (strategy), and is fun to play.

Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) - SO MUCH FUN TO PLAY!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collins
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
CF Vapors - Alternative to Smoking
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico. It might be considered a “classic” of modern board games. It has been out for almost 2 decades, it’s still a great game and held top honors amongst many gamers for years.

Pandemic. It was a game changer for cooperative board games...pun intended. There are many great co-op games on the market now and I think the popularity of pandemic gave designers encouragement to make more mainstream co-op games.

Love Letter. Who ever thought a handful of cards and 10 minutes could produce such an enjoyable experience. While admittedly it’s a game without a board - I feel like every gamer should at least give this one a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game Hidden traitor, co-op, mix in the expansions, can have a lot of tension and a very good tv "tigh-in"

Chicago Express Trains and money, money and trains, no randomness.

7 Wonders Plays really quick upto 7 players and lets you build a civilisation with combat as well. It was a toss up between this and Sushi Go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Gloomhaven... great immersive gaming environment with lots of depth and replayability.

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1... excellent legacy game that plays out like a true story. Excellent memorable gaming experience.

Terraforming Mars... great re-playability and variability with the base game and is increased with expansions as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Schulatz
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Look, I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:
Gloomhaven... great immersive gaming environment with lots of depth and replayability.

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1... excellent legacy game that plays out like a true story. Excellent memorable gaming experience.

Terraforming Mars... great re-playability and variability with the base game and is increased with expansions as well.

I really enjoyed this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
=============== Aquadukt
An even more ideal gateway game than Setters Of Catan, or Ticket To Ride. Games take only 20 to 45 minutes to play, easy to teach, and a lot of newbies to the hobby become enthralled by the d20, not having seen it anywhere else.

Also, the game has been OoP for a long while, so its rarity is all the more of another reason to try this

=============== Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
It captures the show VERY WELL. It's gotten many who were new to the TV series to go check it out on Netflix, or find the DVDs. Some players get antsy around the 3-hour mark, but those who are still into around then "are the true gems". Despite some of the game's flaws, they continue playing it because they deem "It's just such an awesome game".

Plus, this was one of the few games here on BGG where I've memorized its game ID off the top of my head!

=============== Race For The Galaxy
Really nice melding of theme and mechanics. And its mechanics are more on the unique side to boot. Ditto with the theme really. Even though it draws inspirations from other sci-fi material, it truly does create a universe all in its own.

Also, it beat out Dominion here on BGG rankings (which is in itself a fine game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
UNO
DOS
Tres

Because why not go in order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Go (the ultimate no chance game)
Backgammon (modern doubling cube version)
Diplomacy (ultimate negotiation, backstabbing, and kingmaking)

These, to me, turn to 11--or higher--analysis, luck (without the winner being by chance), and player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go, It's simply the best game. Simplistic rules and yet near endless strategy and tactics, Yes it has both long term strategy and short term tactics because you are simultaneously fighting multiple battles on a large battlefield.

Kamisado Because it's as easier to learn then checkers but much more fun. And if I can make every gamer play it I might be able to see my dream of this replacing checkers in the global social consciousnesses.

Kingdom Builder Because it sounds bad on paper but once you play it and see the amount thinking you can put into it you'll see the light. It definitely deserved it Spiel Des Jahres Award.

Also I have Two MORE!
Pyramid Arcade Because It's full of awesome games and so inspiring I even made my own for the system. It illuminates my MIND!

Numenera Okay It's an RPG not a board game but it's what got me into RPGs and much like Pyramid Arcade it's so creatively inspiring!

(Edit: The post below Mine reminded me of another one)
Shogi, Because it's like Chess but more fun and dynamic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Diplomacyit's a huge time investment. It can destroy friendships and marriages.

But nothing else does what it does, and it is still around after more than half a century for a reason.

Maybe play with people you don't know.

2. Chess preferably srarting by second or third grade. Learn to plan ahead.

3. Lawn Darts. You kids get off of my lawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Battlestar Galactica - To experience a long deep thematic Traitor game.

Twilight Imperium 4th Edition - to experience an epic, thematic diplomatic game

Agricola - To experience a tight, punishing Euro worker placement game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mind offers an interesting mental space to be in.

Go Cuckoo! offers an interesting physical space to be in.

Spirit Island is the best game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some stuff most gamers think it's "beneath them", but actually diversity is good for you.

Jungle Speed - to get rid of that AP problem
Time's Up!/Celebrities - because you need to stand up from the table and do a bit of charades once in while
ICECOOL - in this game you're flicking flipping fricking penguins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Yatsco
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I’m saying Carcassonne, TfM and Scythe. These are games that every gamer should play often meeple not just once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms
IF you like it, it could see a LOT of plays. It is easily my most played game if I include digital plays. If I had to play a game to death, I might pick this one. It helps if you like space ship themes and are fine with attacking play.

Dominion
For me, this nails pure deckbuilding mechanics and has a classic feel to it. I nearly overlooked it as it is an older game and you hear talk of there being better deckbuilders now. My favourite deckbuilder. Star Realms is close. The rest are some way off. The logo is horrendous though and is on the back of every card. Twice!

Unfair
In practice I don't think the take that aspect is as big as it may seem at first. This is one of the most enjoyable games I have played, the art perfectly matches the game's vibe and it is just so well designed. It did take me several plays though to appreciate how good the design is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Fourth Edition): The most epic of space games.

Cosmic Encounter: A game of infinite possibilities don't you know.

Trajan: The mancala will twist your mind on first play.

Honourable mentions: Dungeons and Dragons Rpg, Magic the Gathering, Shogun (for the cube tower awesomeness)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a number of games on these lists that I wish I could go back in time and warn myself not to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Thunkd wrote:
There are a number of games on these lists that I wish I could go back in time and warn myself not to play.

You mean there are some games that people like and other people don't?

SHOCKING! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.