Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I looked at the first 24 minutes, then here and there...four hours are a lot..It was a very well done video, I liked it a lot.
The game looks awesome and I am very tempted. I missed the additional technologies in a first moment, which give a lot of variability. I adore the water flow mechanic, and I like the planning of the wheel..but I must admit what it is outstanding for me are these water flows. The game looks very well done even in its smallest details.
Whatever they say I really feel the theme.
I did not do the pledge for the moment, but I am very tempted...Unluckily this year I exaggerated with the expensive pledges...a lot of games, game themes and expansions I was waiting for came out (Eclipse, Planetarium, Dale of merchants, Bios: origins, Periodic...) !!! And I own Power Grid (amazing game). I know it is not the same game...but the theme looks a bit similar to me.

What do you think of this game after this playthrough? This is a request of help :-)

OK AT THE END YOU CONVINCED ME
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What do you think of this game after Heavy Cardboard playthrough?
I've had a chance to play this game prior to the playthrough. The game is pretty dang good and one of the heavier games in a shallow pool of heavy games this year and next. BTW, neither HC nor my group played with the expansion which adds another decision point. Pledge was a no-brainer for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
Wargame? Eurogame? Ameritrash? Asia!! Check out Asian board game reviews at CardboardEast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are my thoughts on Barrage:
https://www.cardboardeast.com/kickstarter/2018/barrage

Spoiler alert: I backed the deluxe version. I would have been more than happy with just the base game, but it has a 3D magnetically-locking multi-layered game board. Three words. Treat. Yo. Self!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Dawson
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imho the game exudes theme. And that is quiete rare in Euro games.
Mechanics are very interesting and the flow (no pun intended ) of the game is smooth and clever.
The thing that I noticed more is that games looks quite deep playtested adn already ready for production
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to everybody...I think to be pretty convinced..

@evilpanda: I have copied your link to see other reviews (I did not find your link before!). Good review for Barrage and congratulations.
I want to read about Realm of Sand! Thanks for your link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evilpanda wrote:

Spoiler alert: I backed the deluxe version. I would have been more than happy with just the base game, but it has a 3D magnetically-locking multi-layered game board. Three words. Treat. Yo. Self!

Is there a good photo of the 3d board?

Answering the OPs question.
I'm on the fence. I like the idea of barrage. I'm worried about the king making with my group and a little worried about how heavy everyone keeps saying it is. This is coming from someone who loves Vital games.

I'm also very interested in Pipeline and City of the Big Shoulders and cannot back all 3 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Felipe da Silva
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
evilpanda wrote:

About "Minor Concern 1", you do receive the resources immediately and then in every income phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
@shieldwolf:
they are speaking of a play trough of Pipeline from Heavy cardboard that could help to decide between Barrage and Pipeline. I read on the previous post yesterday. I did not look at it, but it seems they were more positive about Barrage than Pipeline. However I would check..
For me this year it was a big year for kickstarters, while I cannot say the same for the games that came out in Essen (except for few exceptions, but it is my personal opinion).
About heavy games: I passed directly from playing Cluedo and Monopoly up to playing Terra Mystic (which, I think, is heavy as Barrage), no gateways games, no party games, no light games...and it went all right...the light games came afterwards for me. Thus perhaps your game group will like it the same.I do not think it is always a problem of difficulty, but sometimes it is if you like the theme and the mechanics..however if someone is really good in this game it can be annoying to lose continuously and heavily, that is true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
Wargame? Eurogame? Ameritrash? Asia!! Check out Asian board game reviews at CardboardEast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The only pictures I have of the board come from the KS page.

To be honest, Barrage isn't that hard mechanically. Like I said in the review, you can teach this game in under 10 minutes. It's just unforgiving. If I had to put it on the Brass Birmingham or Lancashire scale, Barrage would lean more towards the Lancashire side. Game play, like the resources, are very tight and shouldn't be squandered away.

It's a deep game that is very unique in game play. I like it more than any Vital game I've ever played. Although, I haven't played Escape Plan yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
evilpanda wrote:

To be honest, Barrage isn't that hard mechanically. Like I said in the review, you can teach this game in under 10 minutes. It's just unforgiving. If I had to put it on the Brass Birmingham or Lancashire scale, Barrage would lean more towards the Lancashire side. Game play, like the resources, are very tight and shouldn't be squandered away.

It's a deep game that is very unique in game play. I like it more than any Vital game I've ever played. Although, I haven't played Escape Plan yet.

Curiously, if you can teach it in less than 10 minutes, what are you leaving out that Edward didn't leave out? Because I thought his teach was excellent and at just the right speed...and it was a lot longer than 10 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The playthrough was good and just reinforced everything I was thinking before. The game has too many positives for me NOT to back it.

- It's a thematic euro where the mechanisms actually tie into the theme.
- It's designed by Simon Luciani who is my favorite designer.
- Has unique mechanisms I've never seen before. I really want to spin those gears!
- It has unique art for a euro/isn't illustrated by Klemens Franz
- It's easy to teach but has a ton of depth while not being too long to play.
- It's not really like any other game I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
evilpanda wrote:

Curiously, if you can teach it in less than 10 minutes, what are you leaving out that Edward didn't leave out? Because I thought his teach was excellent and at just the right speed...and it was a lot longer than 10 minutes.

Well...

1) 2 out of the 4 phases in the game (income and water) only take a minute at most to explain. Income. Get what's !!!!! on your player board. Water. Water flows down, gets caught at a dam, maybe overflows, then keeps flowing.

2) Worker placement games are some of the easiest games to teach as you only really need to explain what each of the actions/stations do, and there are only 7 actions (8 if you're playing with advanced tech) in the game. 4 of which are really easy: Get money, get water, get resources, rotate your wheel.

3)I also talk significantly faster than Ed does while I'm teaching. I make up for that by asking questions during the tutorial to ensure everyone is paying attention and understands the game.

4) I almost never teach strategy while I'm teaching the game, and I didn't include that in the 10 minutes. Only after players get all the rules, do I begin with some suggestions for strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
The playthrough was good and just reinforced everything I was thinking before. The game has too many positives for me NOT to back it.

- It's a thematic euro where the mechanisms actually tie into the theme.
- It's designed by Simon Luciani who is my favorite designer.
- Has unique mechanisms I've never seen before. I really want to spin those gears!
- It has unique art for a euro/isn't illustrated by Klemens Franz
- It's easy to teach but has a ton of depth while not being too long to play.
- It's not really like any other game I own.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The abstract pipe laying was the only disconnect of theme in pipeline.
The abstract water flowing blocking situations was the lesser disconnect of Barrage. I understand the reality of water flow, but the competition by blocking was a little disconnected in my mind vs theme.

That said, both look fun to play, just in a different way. Pipeline will hit retail stores as I have found Capstone games in many. Barrage will also hit retail. Buy one now, get the other later.

City of Big Shoulders has a print-n-play you can build and see if you like it. Odds are if you like watching heavy cardboard, you will enjoy it too.

1. print and and play big shoulders
2. ks one now, play tabletopia for others
3. get one at retail.
4. Save money or sell 7th continent for cash.
5. get another at retail or trade for it if worthwhile.
yes, that is 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glitterfolie wrote:
@shieldwolf:
they are speaking of a play trough of Pipeline from Heavy cardboard that could help to decide between Barrage and Pipeline. I read on the previous post yesterday. I did not look at it, but it seems they were more positive about Barrage than Pipeline. However I would check..
For me this year it was a big year for kickstarters, while I cannot say the same for the games that came out in Essen (except for few exceptions, but it is my personal opinion).
About heavy games: I passed directly from playing Cluedo and Monopoly up to playing Terra Mystic (which, I think, is heavy as Barrage), no gateways games, no party games, no light games...and it went all right...the light games came afterwards for me. Thus perhaps your game group will like it the same.I do not think it is always a problem of difficulty, but sometimes it is if you like the theme and the mechanics..however if someone is really good in this game it can be annoying to lose continuously and heavily, that is true.

I watched both. They both look awesome to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
The abstract water flowing blocking situations was the lesser disconnect of Barrage. I understand the reality of water flow, but the competition by blocking was a little disconnected in my mind vs theme.

That said, both look fun to play, just in a different way. Pipeline will hit retail stores as I have found Capstone games in many. Barrage will also hit retail. Buy one now, get the other later.

City of Big Shoulders has a print-n-play you can build and see if you like it. Odds are if you like watching heavy cardboard, you will enjoy it too.

3. get one at retail.
yes, that is 3.

Scott,
I saw you on posting on the play through yesterday. I know all three games Heavy C has been pumped about so. I'm just trying to figure out which one will get the most play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

3. get one at retail.
yes, that is 3.

Scott,
I saw you on posting on the play through yesterday. I know all three games Heavy C has been pumped about so. I'm just trying to figure out which one will get the most play.

From your collection and ratings of deeper games in said collection, Pipeline. But your gaming group matters mostly.

I didn't even know you had 7th continent when I wrote that. I just knew it was a KS that was worth a bit of money. After I saw it in your collection, I was shocked I wrote that. That said, after you finish 7C, it will still have value and (see above). devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was concerned about the AP at the beginning of the play but after a while, i found that the turns were relatively quick.

Seems to me that it is a game like Gaia Project (one of my all time favourite) in term of depth and "brain juice".

I was waiting for this playthrough to decide to back or not and now i can safely say that i am in. Kudos to HC !

I am not certain to grab the expansion as the rules are not online yet. It seems to me that the base game is complex enough as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
I am not certain to grab the expansion as the rules are not online yet. It seems to me that the base game is complex enough as it is.

The Leeghwater-rules are online:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VX8-LVGYBQJRK7M_Xtjl9hGI3O...-

EDIT: copy/paste doesn’t work. Check the updates on the KS page, in the comments below the November 7 update is the proper link (they screwed up in the update itself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well after seeing the map in 3d I'm kind of disappointed. It seems like it could be something really cool and textured, but with an April turn around I find it hard to beleive they have the time to do it or they need to push their deadline

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Govind Krishna
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
As long as I live, so long do I learn
badge
Peace is the inner nature of humankind. If you find it within yourself, you will then find it everywhere.
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:
Seems to me that it is a game like Gaia Project (one of my all time favourite) in term of depth and "brain juice".

Okay!! Now I am really interested with the mention of Gaia Project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
govindk wrote:
fdubois wrote:

I would argue that Barrage is far more interactive than Gaia Project though as you're really in each other's faces from the start. With GP, there's still plenty of space to expand into by yourself. The learning curve with GP, I felt, is significantly higher than Barrage also. It could be that I personally get the mechanics and strategies behind Barrage better than I do with GP. If you don't focus your strategy and tactics in Barrage, you will lose badly. It can be brutal if you don't know what you're doing. Both Barrage and GP are deep games that require a lot of planning and forethought. I will say this. I like Simone Luciani's games, but out of all the games he has designed and co-designed over the years, Barrage is by far the best. With each play, I enjoy it more and more. Easily one of the best games I've played in 2018 and easily one of the best games I will play in 2019.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Govind Krishna
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
As long as I live, so long do I learn
badge
Peace is the inner nature of humankind. If you find it within yourself, you will then find it everywhere.
mbmbmbmbmb
evilpanda wrote:
govindk wrote:
fdubois wrote:

I would argue that Barrage is far more interactive than Gaia Project though as you're really in each other's faces from the start. With GP, there's still plenty of space to expand into by yourself. The learning curve with GP, I felt, is significantly higher than Barrage also. It could be that I personally get the mechanics and strategies behind Barrage better than I do with GP. If you don't focus your strategy and tactics in Barrage, you will lose badly. It can be brutal if you don't know what you're doing. Both Barrage and GP are deep games that require a lot of planning and forethought. I will say this. I like Simone Luciani's games, but out of all the games he has designed and co-designed over the years, Barrage is by far the best. With each play, I enjoy it more and more. Easily one of the best games I've played in 2018 and easily one of the best games I will play in 2019.
Thank for that quick review.
Gaia is one of my absolute favourites. I however, decided not to back Barrage as I primarily play 2P and punishing in the face games aren't my cup of tea (though I would gladly play Barrage the first chance I get). I am more of a multi-player solitaire person than interactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.