GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,527 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Volfyirion» Forums » Variants

Subject: [Community Variant] The Keeper card idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paweł Stróżyk
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
This is for discussing and balancing this card idea, since I am unsure both about balancing it and how well it would for in the lore and game... mainly because I made up most of the lore for the archetype and characters. >.>

Card has two abilities. His main ability to reduce the cost to move Volfyrion to a city or back to his lair, however as influencing the Dragon to attack goes against their nature, discard this card from the game after the dragon is sent to attack an enemy city. Secondary ability would be to discard the Keeper from the game and choose an enemy troop, discard that troop from the game as well.

(If the player attacks Volfyrion’s lair while this card is in the game discard it from the game, same if the card comes into play after the player has defeated Volfyirion.)

Honestly I mostly was thinking of the effect to steal/recruit an enemy card as a keeper and either add it to your own deck or remove from game.

Was thinking about this for a time with the whole protect th dragon concept and not destroy or fight it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Meneghini-Relf
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
This is a great card idea, i see what you mean about balacing though, I think I prefer the idea of taking away a troop card or somthing like that than the reducing voly cost as Voly needs to be difficult to get I think else the game could move a bit to fast right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Varotto
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Sio to summarize

The Keeper

Cost to draft from asset row: 7 command point (high given his special power)

defense: 2

Main Ability : remove from the game this card to decrease Volfyrion summoning cost od to destroy one enemy troop card in play

Special Last of his kin: if volfyrion is defeated remove this card from the game..the Keeper dies defending Volfyrion.

whst do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Stróżyk
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry for only replying now, it is something as you wrote, though the idea was for the decrease cost to be there if the city is defending from Volfy. If attacking an opponents city the keeper gets discarded. Since the whole premise of the keepers is protecting not attacking.
The special ability is possibly too powerful to be honest as if it goes like this the other player will have to once again build up 16 (I think it was 16) battle points to attack again and I do not think it is not easy to do so to be honest.
What do you think about something like:

The Keeper
Cost to draft from asset row: 7 command point (I'll leave it since it sounds right, might be decreased or increased)
Defense: 2
Main Ability: Discard the card from the game to destroy an enemy troop card in play.
Special Ability: Dragon Kin: The Keeper is removed from play to prevent the complete destruction of a City attacked by Volfyirion. Any troops or building in that city are destroyed as well.

@Paolo, I really like your special, but that would make it really hard to play the game while focusing on wisdom.

Two other Ideas for a scecial:

Special: Discard The Keeper from play, decrease Volfyirion summoning cost.

or

Special: Discard the card to add The Keeper's Defence(or set number) to the BP needed to destroy Volfyirion. (might be op)

The decreased cost can be added as well, but for one instance. I was mostly thinking at the beginning this card can and should only be used when protecting Volfy, so turning it back to its lair etc.

Not sure how the rewrite sees now. As I said the decreased cost can be readed again. But the protect Volfyrion special, while is awesome also makes the game twice as hard for someone who goes into BP. Note I have not had the time to playtest so I am unsure if getting the 16 is very hard or just a nuisance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Varotto
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
lucifernemesis wrote:
Sorry for only replying now, it is something as you wrote, though the idea was for the decrease cost to be there if the city is defending from Volfy. If attacking an opponents city the keeper gets discarded. Since the whole premise of the keepers is protecting not attacking.
The special ability is possibly too powerful to be honest as if it goes like this the other player will have to once again build up 16 (I think it was 16) battle points to attack again and I do not think it is not easy to do so to be honest.
What do you think about something like:

The Keeper
Cost to draft from asset row: 7 command point (I'll leave it since it sounds right, might be decreased or increased)
Defense: 2
Main Ability: Discard the card from the game to destroy an enemy troop card in play.
Special Ability: Dragon Kin: The Keeper is removed from play to prevent the complete destruction of a City attacked by Volfyirion. Any troops or building in that city are destroyed as well.

@Paolo, I really like your special, but that would make it really hard to play the game while focusing on wisdom.

Two other Ideas for a scecial:

Special: Discard The Keeper from play, decrease Volfyirion summoning cost.

or

Special: Discard the card to add The Keeper's Defence(or set number) to the BP needed to destroy Volfyirion. (might be op)

The decreased cost can be added as well, but for one instance. I was mostly thinking at the beginning this card can and should only be used when protecting Volfy, so turning it back to its lair etc.

Not sure how the rewrite sees now. As I said the decreased cost can be readed again. But the protect Volfyrion special, while is awesome also makes the game twice as hard for someone who goes into BP. Note I have not had the time to playtest so I am unsure if getting the 16 is very hard or just a nuisance...

taking your idea and making the card focused on the lair maybe with one shot effect

"remove permanently from the game this card to add 2 defense to Volfyrion's Lair" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Stróżyk
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
That would be an idea, however just that would make it harder for both players as far as the mechanics are concerned, additionally it would add a bit of an advantage to someone who focuses on knowledge while penalize someone who focuses on Battle points. Well if it would be a one turn effect then it would be more plausible. Really hard to balance it when I mostly see the points where it would break the game and not help improve and make it more fun =<

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.