GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,241 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Alone» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo variant possible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just spit-balling something for the hell of it, but I'm wondering if it's possible to create a variant of the rules that allowed for solo play, though not as the Hero. Since a big part of the Hero's game is the Fog-of-war mechanic, I'm not sure you could play solo as the Hero and that mechanic still make sense, you'd just end up playing with perfect information anyways. So, suppose in a solo mode you played as the Evil player(s) and played against an automated Hero player.

• Hero player would be tracked on on the Map Sheets, not in the Labyrinth (though you might be able to use the Labyrinth if you have enough tiles, I don't think there's enough though, is there?)
• Hero player is activated via automata cards that direct it to move towards the closest Mission point
• Hero player assumed to have perfect information and would just move the shortest distance to mission objectives, BUT Revealed sectors & Unrevealed sectors would still be tracked.
• Each automata card would have an action priority list, basically if-then statements with different things for the Hero to do in a few basic behaviors. Some of these might be redundant or there might be better options, I'm just throwing these out at the top of my head:

- Cautious: will try to reveal tiles whenever possible when moving
- Fearful: prioritizes running as far away from monsters as possible
- Aggressive: prioritizes combat and eliminating evil units
- Hasty: priority placed on getting to the mission points and fulfilling objectives, will de-prioritize combat or revealing the map

It just seemed weird to have a game called "Alone" without a solo mode. Does any of this sound remotely workable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it would indeed be nice if the game had a solo mode, but I'm not sure it's really workable in this instance.

Part of the Evil player(s) strategy is misinformation and bluffing, which is not at all viable against an automata. Even if a variable priority trait was assigned to the Hero, I imagine its behavior would be too easy to exploit.

It seems to me the "Alone" part actually refers to the single-player-versus-many aspect, which quite honestly is the intent of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Pra'
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't think we could make a solo mode for Alone that preserves its feeling and identity. As Brett said, the game needs the layers of misinformation and bluffing the two sides use on each other, and this requires humans playing in both roles. We would have included one, if we thought we could make it work.

Feel free to try to prove us wrong, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.