Subject: Couple of questions about the Sorceress class rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Teufel
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
Hi, i have some questions about the sourceress class:

1. Does +1 Casting Total mean i can cast spells from this element twice per turn, e.g. 2x Elemental Blast for 4(2+2) Mana?

2. Can i make melee attacks in addition to spells which must be used as ranged attacks, e.g. Elemental Blast?

3. Can i make range attack(s) e.g. with a bow in addition to my spells which must be used as ranged attacks, e.g. Elemental Blast?

4. Do all spells used as ranged attack need a to hit roll, e.g. Dragon Fire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lewis
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2. Generally, you get one attack per turn, unless something grants you a free attack. SO, if you do a ranged attack, you cannot do a melee attack in the same turn.

3. Again, you get one attack, so either a ranged attack via spell, or a ranged attack via bow.

4. a ranged attack requires a to hit roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Teufel
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
Hi Michael thank your for your answer.

Normally i would share our opinion.
What make me think about this points is the Sorceress chapter:

a) "When casting a Spell that is the same Element as your Focus, you are +1 to your Casting Total for Spells of that Element" (Rulebook p.9).
b) Elemental Blast is a Spell that requires no roll to cast and is considered to be the same Magik Element as your Elemntal Focus (Rulebook p.9).
c) Use 2 Mana to fire an Elemental Blast as your Ranged Attack (Spell card Elemntal Blast).
d) "... Speels may be Cast at any time during the turn; they do NOT have to be Cast during the Soress's Activation, unless the Spell specifically lists when may be Cast ... or in the case of Spells that are Ranged Attacks for instance (Rulebook p.9).

This rules may lead to the following:

=> I can fire two Elemental Blasts a turn, because its always my Focus Element, which i can cast twice a turn.
=> The sentence "Use this Spell as a Ranged Attack" on the spells may only determine the phase, in which it can be cast but bypasses the one ranged attack per turn rule.
=> So spells may be additions to the normal meele attacks or one Ranged attack a character can make per turn (like sermons are).
=> So spells may not always need a to hit role (they already have a casting roll), because some ranged attack spells list on their card you need a to hit role and others not, e.g. Dragon Fire.

Or:
=> +1 to your Casting Total means somethink different.
=> I can only cast one "Use this spell as a Ranged Attack" spell a turn, which would limit the sorceress hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Caine
msg tools
"Spells and Elemental Focus"

"When casting a spell that is the same element as your Focus, you are +1 to your Casting Total for Spells of that Element (more on Casting Below)."

"Casting Spells"

"A Sorceress may Cast any number of Spells during the turn, but each individual spell may only be cast once a turn."

"Casting Roll"

"Once the Mana Cost has been paid, the Sorceress makes a Casting Roll. Roll 2D6. If the total is equal to or higher than the Casting Number, the Spell is successfully Cast and its card text immediately takes effect."

-----------------

You can only cast each individual spell once a turn. It clearly says that in the book

The +1 to Casting Total refers to the the total you roll when making the Casting Roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Teufel
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
1. ok, so the sentence:
"Elemental Blast is a Spell that requires no roll to cast and is considered to be the same Magik Element as your Elemental Focus"
is unnecessary because there is no casting role or am i still missing somethink?

2. So can i cast only one "Use this spell as a Ranged Attack" spell per turn?

3. Lightning Strike:
"As a Ranged Attack, choose a model within Range and Line of Sight to be the target, That model takes 3 Hits ..."
Am i forced to do a to hit roll to get the 3 Hits or is the casting roll enough?

4. Dragon Fire:
"Use This Spell as a Ranged Attack
Place the Flame Template (as descriped in the rules) ..."
Am i forced to do a to hit roll after the casting roll before placing the template?

5. Is there a difference between Lightning Strike and Dragon Fire in the way they treated as Ranged Attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Caine
msg tools
Wood, Living Statue Trait.

"Flammable - Defence 0 against any Attack, using a Fire Item, Spell or Ability"

Elemental Blast

"This counts as a Spell, with the same Keyword as your Magik Focus Element but no Casting Roll is needed"

------------

A Sorceress with the Fire Elemental Focus using Elemental Blast will trigger the Flammable rule, as Elemental Blast is a Spell, with the Fire keyword.

-----------

Casting Spells

"Spells may be Cast at at any time during the turn; they do NOT have to be Cast during the sorceress's Activation, unless the Spell specifically lists when it may be cast (replacing Move, or in the case of Spells that are Ranged Attacks for instance)"

Hero Attacks

"After a Hero has moved, thy are allowed to make one Attack. This can be a Melee attack using their basic Combat or a Ranged Attack using a Ranged Weapon like a Flintlock Pistol or Bow"

Examples

Elemental Blast

"Use 2 Mana to fire an Elemental Blast as your Ranged Attack"

Fire Ball

"Use this Spell as a Ranged Attack"

Dragon Fire

"Use this Spell as a Ranged Attack"

----------

Each of the examples are listed as a "Ranged attack". You may only make 1 attack, Ranged or Melee. If Elemental Blast is chosen, you make your Ranged Attack with Elemental Blast. That's it. You cannot use Fire Ball or Dragon Fire even if you have enough Mana, because you can only make 1 Ranged Attack in a turn.

-----------

Introduction to Hits

Page 17, Types of Hit

"Hits - Hits represent physical damage and cause Wounds if not prevented"

"Anytime a Hero takes one or more Hits, they may make a Defence roll against each, needing to roll equal to or higher than their Defence value to prevent the Hit."

Hits and Enemies

Page 26, Assigning Hits

"After all the Hero's dice have been rolled and the number of Hits determined, the Hero is allowed to assign those Hits, one a a time, to any Enemies within Range"

Lighting Strike.

"That model takes 3 Hits..." (partial sentence)

-------------------

Hits are the stage beyond rolling to-hit. If a card assigns Hits (as Darkness cards do, as well as a Depth Event), you assign the Hits without having to roll to-hit and you assign the Hits the card directs you.

--------------------

Dragon Fire

"Every model touched by the Template takes 1 Hit..." (partial sentence)

-------------

See ref. Hits. Also see ref. page 30, Flame template. You are assigning Hits, not rolling to-hit. They bypass rolling to-hit and go straight to Hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Teufel
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
ok i think everything is clear now. Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls