GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,458 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen those on the more avid side bring in 20+ containers of games to places like a bar where they'll have about 40 to 80 attendees. Or they rent out a common area, and host 16 to 24 tables worth of gamers (average ranging from 3 to 5 gamers per table), with 5 bookshelves worth of bg as a public library.

We've had discussions on how many games are ideal for individuals. What about if you're the type of person who hosts large get togethers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take it Easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:

Sorry, not getting what you're trying to say with this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
This surely depends on the particular group, how diverse their tastes are, whether they play a few long games or many short games, whether they play high-player-count games or low-player-count games, how many of the other people also bring games, etc etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100 should be more than enough given the size of your gathering. It should be a variety of games (Euros, Ameritrash, party and social deduction games). Games should also be popular and likely to be in demand. They should be a variety of lengths (from the 30-minute gateway game to the four-hour serious game).

You do need to keep in mind the likely attendees in determining what should be in the game library.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not counting the games you want to play yourself, I'd say a few gateway to medium games are all you need.

Serious gamers will bring games. You just need to take care of the beginners.

Of course, if you're expecting a large number of beginners, then increase the number of good gateway games.

And, if we're talking about a situation where people are flying in or it's otherwise could be difficult to bring games, then you need to add a game for every three or four people.

A few more games for a longer session, but everyone doesn't need to play the best possible game every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It depends on how many people are going to attend and on how determined you are at providing everyone the best possible gaming experience.

I agree with Walt above when he says that all players don't always have to be playing the BEST games at all times.

The fun of gaming (imo) is primarily the people you game with and the collective experience of gaming rather than the games themselves.

Meaning that you don't have to have the best, hottest, most in demand games (and multiple copies to keep multiple tables happy at once) to keep everyone happy.

If you have 100 gamers and your average table group size is let's say 4 players... you'd need 25 games to have everyone playing "something" all at the same time. Obviously you want a little more variety than that though and to let players pick and choose a little you'd want say 50 games per 100 players.

You'll have some playing 2 player games... some will be playing bigger party games with 8+ players and maybe even some big massive sessions with 20+ playing Werewolf or something like that.

I think the real goal instead of having massive numbers of games to choose from... is to have a good variety of games from various genres, play lengths and player counts.

People can make do with fewer games if they have a good variety to choose from rather than just massive amounts of the same types... say 90% Euros or a pile of mainly party games etc.

If I had 200 people... I'd want say 30 Euros... 30 thematic/Ameritrash... 10 party games... 10 fillers... 10 abstracts... 10 wargames... and of course have a pretty good range of light to heavy games and short/medium/longer playing times among those groups.

If you know people will be bringing their own games to play... say even 1 game is brought by every 3 or 4 people... well you can then reduce the number of games you have to provide to keep everyone occupied because those players will likely want to play what they bring as well.

So in summary the total games needed (provided by the host plus what is brought by players) should be about 1 game for every 2 players at the gathering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.