Subject: The Nether Realm Expansion (for you?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Foster

Ventura
California
msg tools
badge
Obsession begins where common sense ends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I found a copy in my local game store and bought it for $17.95.

Yeah yeah...Lucky me...

Hear me out.

I'm not writing this to boast. I bought my first copy of this expansion from the same store about a year ago and didn't know they had a second.

Yes. You heard right.

That means I have a 2nd copy of this expansion that is useless to me ...

and I want to give it away. (shhhhhhhh....wait) There are conditions. This expansion goes for a lot of money on the 2ndary market and I am going to do my best to avoid having someone capitalize on my gift.

The first is US only. (Sorry. I'll foot the bill for postage but I'm not going crazy.)

The second condition is that you posted a rating for this game at least six months ago.

There is a third condition that you own most of the expansions. I want to help complete a collection rather than help start one. I know this sounds harsh but I know what it's like needing just a couple pieces to complete a set (still need Deep Realms to fill my Talisman gap and it hurts.) I also know what I've invested in this game in terms of money.

I know that elation when I pulled the plastic cocoon of Talisman: Nether Realm off the hook way back when. I'd love to give that feeling to someone else who's been waiting for a long time to feel it and just never had the luck.

If you don't exactly trust this, well, go back over my posts and see I'm not a troller or here to create controversy. In fact, I posted a massive variant to Talisman here called 'Darkest Talisman' that revamps the game into a solo epic adventure (ditching the board and the roll and move). Jon New - designer of The Nether Realm - put a copy of the file on his Talisman Island website.
I've also posted many other variants: 'Legendary' Resident Evil, the Card Game; 'Overland Adventures' for Four Against Darkness; and others for Thunderstone (Advance and Quest), Ancient Terrible Things, etc. I've even posted a session report for Runebound 3rd ed.
I say all this so you can see that I have a history on this site.

All you need to do to be considered is PM me with your interest and post a quick note below. I don't want any mailing info. The first one who meets my criteria will be contacted by me, though I don't think I will be able to mail it out until Thanksgiving week (report cards and parent conferences next week.)
If you want to add stories about your love of the game or one of your favorite moments playing, please respond below. It won't affect my decision but Talisman stories can be some of the best in this hobby.

Note: I posted this here and not in contests or trading as I'm not asking for anything in return, just trying to pass this fortuitous find to a good home. Didn't know where I'd find a more suitable audience.
If I need to move it, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Qwerty Cat
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Nether Realm Expansion
This is super cool of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
I rather like Talisman
badge
The Wanderer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice gesture! Big thumbs up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Foster

Ventura
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's only been a couple days, but I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been snagged. Were my conditions too restrictive? (I didn't think so.) Would someone in another country have 'earned' this?
I'll keep this up for a while, but don't know how long I should. A week? Til Thanksgiving? Til ever?
Thanks for the support with likes and comments.
At least I don't need to go to the post office yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
elem3ntary wrote:
Were my conditions too restrictive? (I didn't think so.)
Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helheim
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the only expansion i dont have except from cataclysm. I still use my 2nd edition main board so i dont want to replace it with a new board.

But i am not living in the US of A bummer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Foster

Ventura
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
elem3ntary wrote:
Were my conditions too restrictive? (I didn't think so.)
Yep.

Hmm.. I still don't think owning the expansion, posting a ranking, and living in the USA should be excessive, but I'm willing to listen.

I have received two responses, both coming up short on my request.
Jreilly89 sent me a PM this morning just before 8:00 (according to the timer on the message.) Helheim posted a response about an hour later with their request.

As Jack was first, I'll offer it to him. If this falls through, I'll contact Helheim.

Thank you.

edit: I have Jack's information and the expansion will be sent to him next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
elem3ntary wrote:

Hmm.. I still don't think owning the expansion, posting a ranking, and living in the USA should be excessive, but I'm willing to listen.
Look, I think it is generous to give something away and I only commented because you brought it up but...

--some people (myself included) don't rank any games so that seems an odd restrictive element. Maybe you were trying to have some 'proof' that someone actually already really liked the game and wasn't trying to scam you by getting something for free but, again, that's odd. And why '6 months ago'. If someone rated the game 2 weeks before your post, why would they be excluded? The whole thing just seems odd.

--I get that you don't want to pay for shipping outside of domestic shipping but why wouldn't you write something like "open to everyone in the world; I will only pay for US domestic shipping. If you live outside of the US you will be billed for shipping."

--and as to the statement that you "must own most of the expansions" well that is just a bit off-putting. I don't know how else to say it.

Add them all up and the whole offer seems odd.

Again: I think it's great that you are giving something away; the way you put these conditions on the offer was off-putting to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Foster

Ventura
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adm1 wrote:
elem3ntary wrote:

Look, I think it is generous to give something away and I only commented because you brought it up but...

--some people (myself included) don't rank any games so that seems an odd restrictive element. Maybe you were trying to have some 'proof' that someone actually already really liked the game and wasn't trying to scam you by getting something for free but, again, that's odd. And why '6 months ago'. If someone rated the game 2 weeks before your post, why would they be excluded? The whole thing just seems odd.

--I get that you don't want to pay for shipping outside of domestic shipping but why wouldn't you write something like "open to everyone in the world; I will only pay for US domestic shipping. If you live outside of the US you will be billed for shipping."

--and as to the statement that you "must own most of the expansions" well that is just a bit off-putting. I don't know how else to say it.

Add them all up and the whole offer seems odd.

Again: I think it's great that you are giving something away; the way you put these conditions on the offer was off-putting to me.

Forgive the length of this post.

I do appreciate the time you took to express your response. I don't know if what I will write here changes anything, but maybe you'll understand what I tried to do, even though you might feel I failed in how I did it or thought my personal goals were out of place.

I knew that my method would be off-putting to some (hence my comment 'I know it sounds harsh'), and I worried about that response. I'll try to go over my thoughts. I know some will disagree with my decisions, but I'll explain why I did this the way I did.

To sum up:

I had one goal: Get this expansion to someone who has invested time and money into the game (possessed it for a while and bought expansions) but has not had the fortune to come across this expansion.
Concern: Possible scalpers. They exist though I rarely see it here.
Problem: Identify as accurately as possible - with the information on BGG - someone who meets my goal.
Focus: To keep complications, time, and money investment in this process to a minimum.

Coming up with a way to do this was not easy. When I started, I stared at the screen for a while and rewrote my message several times before hitting the post button. At first I was going to hide one of the conditions but then I felt that would have been wrong - I needed to be up front with how I wanted to do this.

So, to your various points:

To address the international shipping costs: I did not want to deal with payments. To send it out and then wonder when or if I would get the payment adds a layer to this I did not want to deal with. I would have no recourse to try to retrieve the money if they never paid. I don't PayPal anymore. Yes, I could have waited for payment, but this adds another step to my base requirement of 'Find a person: mail the box.' Essentially, I don't want to deal with any additional requirement/complication other than me mailing the package. I'm sorry if that sounds self-centered or lazy.

So, how do I find out if someone owns it? They have the game listed on BGG. I know that some do not list their games, but many do. It was the easiest method of checking on this.

How do I find if someone has invested in the game? Listing expansions indicates that they have spent money in an effort to expand the base game beyond the core. This generally means one of two things: they really like the game or they are a game collector/completist and must have everything they can find for a game system.

Why the need to own most of the expansions? I said I wanted to help someone complete their collection rather than start one. Why? Thinking about it, I guess that is where I am with this game. I know what it is like to be so close to filling that last gap. Say a complete run of something has 12 separate components. One person needs only two and the other needs 8 or 9. I wanted to help the person who was closer to completion.

How do I find out if the person who owns the game actually plays it? There is only one way I can think of - somewhere along the line they took the time to think about their experience with the game and posted a number between 1 and 10 to indicate their thoughts on the matter. Again, not everyone does it, but many do.

How do I find out if this person may have been looking for this expansion for a longer time than others? Again, in my initial post I spoke about how I wanted a person who had been looking for the expansion for a while to experience what I had when I came across it. By having the rating for the game come 6 months ago tells me that they have been at this game for a while. Ideally I would have loved to give this to someone who has been hunting the expansion for a couple years, but I pulled that back.

So why this bias towards those who are hunting longer? As you say, why not two weeks? I guess that comes from my collecting background. Books, rocks (yes - I'm a rockhound), games, coins, whatever. I know that the longer I am hunting something, the greater the joy when it finds its way into my hands. But there is another way of thinking: I wanted to give it to someone who's been in that 'wanted item' line longer. They've known the frustration of the hunt and lived with it for a while.

Each of my conditions relates directly to those thoughts above. I had a goal. I had certain resources to use to stay within those goals. If there were other resources to use that could have broadened the possible choices without changing my criteria, I am ignorant of them.

If I was to change my criteria (which addresses dissatisfaction about who I wanted it to go to rather than how I chose the person it went to), then I could have just not bought the expansion and let someone else buy it, or I could have given it to a friend who plays on occasion but not seriously. In that case, the offer would never have come up here.
Hmm. In retrospect, I think I bought this with with the limitations already in place in my head in how I would give it away, and this begs the questions: Should we set preferences to put one gamer over another? Should the giver be limited in how he/she gives? Is resistance to limitations based on whether or not a person is in the 'included' or 'excluded' group or founded on a broader philosophy? Deeper yet, what was the giver (in this case me) hoping to get out of this offering?
I don't know. But you are making me think.

That's about it. I could ramble on, but that will just pile additional words on an already too long explanation.
Agree to disagree, but please know I meant no harm.

If I come into possession of an item such as the Nether Realms for a similar price, I will still want to give it away, though I will reconsider my methods for finding a new home for it. I am willing to listen, and in listening, hopefully learn.

As said before, I greatly appreciate the time you took to articulate your feelings and emotions. It allows me to assess my past judgements, assumptions, and choices from a point of view I did not take without feeling attacked or judged. Sometimes in this world, that's a rare thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is really cool, and unfortunately, I don't meet the criteria. I deleted my account a while back, due to needing to focus on my family more and deleting it made jumping on the geek less of a temptation. Unfortunately, all of my ratings and game plays went with it. I made a new account and have been half-heartedly trying to put my stuff back in, but it's not easy and I just don't have the time for it lately, with a new son.

That being said, Talisman has been my favorite game for quite a while now and, so I hope that this finds a good home somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Foster

Ventura
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given away and shipped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls