GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,458 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Legendary: Buffy The Vampire Slayer» Forums » Variants

Subject: Campaign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wondering if anyone has attempted to play this game "campaign" style?

Like only resetting the villian/bystanders/schemes and just continuing to build your hero deck throughout the campaign fighting boss after boss. I find that a lot of times I wish I could continue deck-building for a little longer.

I don't know if this would work though balance-wise? It might make things too easy I guess? I am thinking of trying it out this weekend. Maybe adjusting the villian decks by adding more henchman or strikes to be harder in the later fights would help.

I just started kind of a "campaign" where I am fighting all of the Big Bad's in order and trying to be as thematic as possible with the schemes and heroes chosen, but I am playing normally and resetting everything between fights. It's still great fun and I am having fun "roleplaying" and getting mad or excited for my heroes when things happen

If anyone has tried this let me know if it worked for you, or what your struggles were with it. If not, ideas to make it work are welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the whole point of a deck builder like this is to build your deck mid-game. The narrative arc is one of going from a weak starting situation (where you can do very little on a turn) to a strong position where turns might eventually involve fighting multiple villains and even taking multiple hits on the Big Bad.

If you started with the previous games end deck position you'd lose that narrative arc, need to actively increase the villains and sidekicks fight, end up having long turns throughout, reduce the power of recruitment etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's kind of what I was worried about lol. Which is why I thought maybe I could adjust the villain decks to also make them progressively much harder.

I just want to play longer I should probably start playing my LoTR card game that I haven't started yet. I'm just craving me some BTVS right now.

I'm still going to try it out, maybe this weekend if I have time, or next week and see what happens/if I can make it work/make it fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Solo
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is the campaign play coming along?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gruberstein13 wrote:
How is the campaign play coming along?

I haven't started the variant campaign idea yet. BUT! I did start a Narrative Campaign that I posted the first part to in the Sessions forum.

I am still planning on trying out the campaign variant changing around the decks and stuff to see if I can make it work, but I want to make sure I really, really know/remember exactly how all of the Big Bads work before I attempt it, so I can make the right choices.

With the holidays coming up, I think probably just after Thanksgiving I will have something to post on that front. Sooner for the Narrative Campaign playthroughs though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE:

I did a playthrough without any major rules changes* as a baseline so I know where to start.

*I did use the Advanced Solo Rules from Marvel Dark City, but I didn't change any official rules. I just added rules or really directions for between bosses.

I used a Hero combination that I know to work really well and that I almost have never lost with anyways.

Heroes: Buffy, Angel, & The First Slayer

Big Bad Lineup. You will notice there are a couple of extra Villains in each deck. These were all setup "thematically" for my Narrative Campaign, there are a couple of extra Villains in each deck, otherwise they are setup as regular.

In between each Big Bad, I did not change the Heroes in the Library, my deck/discard piles, courage tokens, or the Light/Dark track. I also did not move any Villains in Sunnydale that were left undefeated. So, basically all I did was take out the Scheme Twists and Master Strikes and move them into the next Villain deck, and then setup the new Big Bad tactics and Scheme.

The results were as expected. Once I got past Angel I was taking down each Big Bad in 2-3 turns. I didn't try and push my luck or anything by waiting to hit the Big Bad to take out more Villains for points. In this baseline, any opportunity I had to hit the Big Bad, I took immediately.

Total Campaign Score: 93
Master: 13
Angel: 24
Mayor: 23
Glory: 14
First: 19

Here are my ideas of various ways that the game could be adjusted for difficulty as you defeat each Big Bad. I will try some of these out over the upcoming holidays and report back.

1. The most obvious place to start is the Official Challenge Rules in Buffy. Basically just adding extra scheme twists or +x attack to each Big Bad progressively.
2. Playing 2 villain cards each turn instead of just 1.
3. However many Villains are left in Sunnydale after defeating a Big Bad, KO that many cards from the top of your deck (or add that many wounds to your discard pile?).
4. Add additional Master Strikes (this would require custom cards I think there are only 5 in the box)
5. Reset the Light/Dark track and Courage pool between Big Bads.
6. Add a "Lose" condition. Something like "x" amount of total Scheme Twists played during the course of the campaign and you automatically lose (this would require keeping track somewhere how many scheme twists you play).

Something to keep me busy during the Holidays anyways!!! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.