GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,355 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Dominant Species» Forums » General

Subject: Can 2 players have a good experience? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ming ming
China
flag msg tools
i really want to try dominant species.but i can only play with my brother.is that boring for 2? thx!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xiaomingdaxia wrote:
i really want to try dominant species.but i can only play with my brother.is that boring for 2? thx!


Not at all! The game scales well for all numbers. You can play with two animals or even two animals each. It's a good two player game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ming ming
China
flag msg tools
i will buy one.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ming ming
China
flag msg tools
Malacandra wrote:
xiaomingdaxia wrote:
i really want to try dominant species.but i can only play with my brother.is that boring for 2? thx!


Not at all! The game scales well for all numbers. You can play with two animals or even two animals each. It's a good two player game.


i will enjoy
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played over 100 games of DS and 2 is my favourite player count. The game becomes truly strategic then with minimum randomness and no kingmaking.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vidra wrote:
I've played over 100 games of DS and 2 is my favourite player count. The game becomes truly strategic then with minimum randomness and no kingmaking.


Do you play with one or two animals each in your 2 player games?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rood Bird
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

When you are experienced I suggest playing according to the official suggestion for two players:

You play 3 animals each but your final score is your lowest scoring animal.

It is a lot of fun.


Hope this helps,


RB

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
vidra wrote:
I've played over 100 games of DS and 2 is my favourite player count. The game becomes truly strategic then with minimum randomness and no kingmaking.


Do you play with one or two animals each in your 2 player games?


One animal each.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A G
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kristof, I've just bought the game and I've try only once with 2 players simulating one animal each by myself to learn the rules but I have a feeling that each player is doing is own game, am I correct or I've just played wrongly?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geneprio wrote:
Hi Kristof, I've just bought the game and I've try only once with 2 players simulating one animal each by myself to learn the rules but I have a feeling that each player is doing is own game, am I correct or I've just played wrongly?


Hi, as Eurogames go, this one has plenty of interaction. The more you get into it the more you'll see how you have to anticipate and counter your opponent's moves. Also, because there are some extremely powerful domination cards like Blight or Catastrophe, you'll have to take those into account as you play the game. So, with experience, the game becomes something of a martial arts duel, with each player exploiting their opponent's weakness or mistake to deal a serious blow.

The problem I have with high player counts is that the last player is seriously disadvantaged and also has fewer Action Pawns. A 3-player game is good, but it often ends in two players ganging up on the third one (usually me) and the game is not much fun for that player.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Peterson
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You consider DS a eurogame? I feel like the game does not have any of the aspects I associate with EuroGames.

* High randomness.

* Variable Cards.

* Game Balance through player interaction.

* Variable Player Powers.

* Not to mention that it is made by GMT - famous for war games - even if this is different than most of there titles.

How do you define eurogame?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played any in the last 15-20 years? whislt your comments would have made sense in the late 90's the euro scene looks nothing like that now.

It's no more random than many eurogames, even most modern eurogames. Many euro games are heavily dice-based for example. Variable player powers/assymetric startups are not unknown.

'True' euro and ameritrash games as would have been defined 20 years ago hardly exist now. Most games are hybrids, some with more of one influence, some with more of the other. 'Euro' now tends to mean one with more euroish tendencies than others now, no more.

I'd agree that DS has definite wargame elements to it - I see nothing that I'd call ameritrashy though. That level of randomness (which is not much by most standards) is quite normal in euros, and variable cards and player powers is not close to making it ameritrash.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bartlett
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Dominant Species: Marine has been announced. It's 2-4 players and is suppose to be good at 2 players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ming ming
China
flag msg tools
vidra wrote:
I've played over 100 games of DS and 2 is my favourite player count. The game becomes truly strategic then with minimum randomness and no kingmaking.


some coments tell that this game is baded on bluffing and someone can decide the winner.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Corrao
Italy
Caulonia Marina
RC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely no bluffing.

Only animals killing each other, eating the scarce food and trying to survive the imminent ice age.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, no bluffing, only if you allow player negotiation which makes the game a completely different beast.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alazṓn Theatre
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Meoww
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this last night using the 2-player rules. Usually I play with 5 or 6.

With the 2-P rules in the book, each side plays 3 animals, but only the lowest scoring animal decides your score. It was very interesting and thinky. I would definitely play 2-P again that way.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
badge
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Fennic wrote:
I just played this last night using the 2-player rules. Usually I play with 5 or 6.

With the 2-P rules in the book, each side plays 3 animals, but only the lowest scoring animal decides your score. It was very interesting and thinky. I would definitely play 2-P again that way.


Yeah, that's an interesting variant, but the standard way is one player - one animal.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.