GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,411 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Oceans: An Evolution Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Game 2 of Beta v1: Spouse Approved 2p game!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Background:
My wife is not a big fan of Evolution. I am in love with the chaos, tactics, and "evolving" metagame within. I did Play testing for 2 salvos of Climate, and a good number of games (over 100+) on the App. I have been an avid fan since launch day of the base game all those moons ago.

Brief review:
I feel comfortable, not perfect on the rules as we explain and I still need to look up a few as we go to get exact details. But setup was very easy and had a clean set of Ocean Scenarios for a beginning game.

Game play:

Throughout we struggled each to get a 3rd species for probably 8+ turns. The constant Aging meant we really needed to cement our Feeeding-engines to make sure nothing went extinct.
I always reminded about how 1 species would die to Aging if it didn't gain Population this turn. She was quick to setup a Transparency to keep one alive, I answered with a Parasite that only hit twice all game.
We had an Aging +1 that we both worked towards clearing off to get extra points rather quickly.
She did perfect math, and I had tunnel vision as she emptied the final Pop in the Ocean perfectly without over eating (we had a "Filter Feeding eats from the Oceans" scenario). I simply assumed I had to end it on my turn. I did not account for extra attacks or creating a species to stop Aging... That won't happen again!
She won 77-64. I definitely needed to either attack more or do the Filter Feeder + Tentacles play to feed my Cleaning duo. It is gonna be fun figuring out lines of play, the countering them.
MVPs:
Cleaning - absolutely needed to make a new species and keep progressing without abandoning older species

Underperforming
Tenticles - Until Round 10 I thought Overpopulation meant Extinction, so Tenticles on a Filter Feeder seemed less useful. I know better after we checked rules again. You just lose 4 Pop but the species lives.

Unplayed
Inking - not that it couldn't be good. We were not in the mindset to let it work. Transparency and Schooling did most of the defense, with some Apex Predator doing the rest. 2p might not be where this shines

Important sticking point
We joked that my wife if an Aggressive Euro-Gamer. She likes Oceans a lot because unlike Evolution, you do not lose the species the same turn it is attacked. That may be what saves it for her to keep playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Johnston
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question: are you adding extra fish (over the initial 120) for your 2P game? I think there is a discrepancy between the rules and the starting info I read online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:
Throughout we struggled each to get a 3rd species for probably 8+ turns. The constant Aging meant we really needed to cement our Feeeding-engines to make sure nothing went extinct.

Ah, that's an issue we couldn't tackle well ourselves in the first (2p) game, it was six turns for us until the third species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
hawkeyept wrote:
Quick question: are you adding extra fish (over the initial 120) for your 2P game? I think there is a discrepancy between the rules and the starting info I read online.

I am using 120 as that was what the rules I received stated.

Another Session will be logged tonight. An aggressive 9 Round, iirc, game with a shockwave finish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an unalloyed joy to read these comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Minken
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Connect More to your family, friends, and community over a board game.
mbmbmbmbmb
hawkeyept wrote:

Agreed - I have asked this question in the google doc. We played a 2p game using the number of tokens suggested in the google doc (120 + 32). If there is no answer before our next game we will play with only 120 (as per the rules) because (in my opinion), it took far too long for the scenario cards to come into play with the extra population. I would like to try it with less.

Parasitic was awesome to have on the outer edges of my species to suck off my opponents!

Nice report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris George
United States
Richmond
usa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question we had during our first game. If you put tentacles on a filter feeder does it feed twice for four each time. It seems like it would and it seems like a apex predator would also get its three attack each time when using tentacles but we weren't sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
That is how we did it. I believe that is even addressed in the rules as the double feed must be the same source i.e. a 4 Pop species only yields 4 if attacked twice, there is nothing to make up the difference.

And unless the scenario same different all 8 for the Filter must be from the Reef. Less of a problem at lower player counts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Johnston
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That’s how we played it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter 'Pedro' Goins
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:
That is how we did it. I believe that is even addressed in the rules as the double feed must be the same source i.e. a 4 Pop species only yields 4 if attacked twice, there is nothing to make up the difference.

According to the reference section of the rules, a Tentacled attack must be on the same species as the previous attack, or a species adjacent to that species. So in your 4 Pop example, you could attack once for 3 damage and then switch to an adjacent species for the second attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
**scrambled to find rules

HOLY ****. And multiple of the same trait!!!
Have some GG, this game went from 9 to 10 rating
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
more ON
msg tools
mbmbmb
Save some room for when the 100 unique cards in the deep get into the playtest, you can't increase that to an 11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter 'Pedro' Goins
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:

Yeah, I'm waiting for an opportunity to get a double-Tentacled Apex Predator
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PedroG wrote:
knuckles29 wrote:

Yeah, I'm waiting for an opportunity to get a double-Tentacled Apex Predator

I had a single tentacled, Apex Predator last night. It kept the others hopping to provide defenses.
Mostly, they relied on Transparency, so i'd discard two cards, empty the reef back into the Ocean - then double attack to my hearts content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Keebler wrote:
Question we had during our first game. If you put tentacles on a filter feeder does it feed twice for four each time. It seems like it would and it seems like a apex predator would also get its three attack each time when using tentacles but we weren't sure.

Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
hawkeyept wrote:

You do not add extra fish in a 2-player game. The additional Population tokens are only needed for the final turn of the game. I think the rules were clear on this account because it went into more detail, but the original PnP directions were unclear. I modified the PnP direction so hopefully that will clear up the confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Johnston
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
hawkeyept wrote:

You do not add extra fish in a 2-player game. The additional Population tokens are only needed for the final turn of the game. I think the rules were clear on this account because it went into more detail, but the original PnP directions were unclear. I modified the PnP direction so hopefully that will clear up the confusion.

Thanks Dom! I assumed not, but the Google doc was the source of confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.