GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,717 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: Benefits of expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game I've been thinking about for ages, and never quite got round to acquiring.
Now that there's a new Kickstarter, I was thinking about jumping on that, but as far as I can see, it's only really worth Kickstarting if you plan on using all the extra stuff.

Given how many other games I have competing for my time, I can't see this being the sort of game where I play the campaign over and over (unless we absolutely fall in love with it)

So, my question for experienced S&S players is: Does having all the expansions mixed in improve the experience of a single play-through of the campaign? Or just make it more varied for re-playing the campaign later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So there are really theee types of add-one to this game

1) Box expansions. Currently there are two and a third is on the way early next year. The main thing they do is move the story along,
Add more quests and more enemies. I’d say from strict gameplay these are the best add-one

2). Hero add-one. These just add more variety to your starting choice of who to play. The initial 5 heroes are all really cool so these are really only great for variety and replay ability. They do sometimes also include new treasure or shop cards but nothing mind blowing.

3). Cosmetics. Metal coins, critical bags, ghost form heroes. All very optional

My suggest is to get the base game and try it. If you like it, the expansion slot in with the campaign so you don’t need to have them integrated from the start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note - I bought the first campaign at retail.

For the Immortal Souls campaign you need the Darkness Falls expansion to complete the campaign. The campaign consists of 2 Acts. If you bought retail and want to play all the quests in the campaign you need the core set box and all 3 expansions for a total of 22 quests. Two of the expansions have side quests that are optional.

I am not sure how the Ancient Chronicles campaign compares in terms of Acts and the number of quests per Act. I believe some retail expansions are needed if you want additional quests or plan to play a full campaign through both Acts.

I believe one benefit of kickstarting the campaign is that you get all the content to play the full campaign before it is completely available in the retail channel. It seems that the Act 2 quests/content are being added as stretch goals in the current campaign. So the more goals the campaign reaches the longer the campaign?? This part is still unclear to me.

However, the game system does include a single quest only style of play which doesn't require using campaign rules to enjoy the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you buy the first Sword & Sorcery at retail, you will want at minimum the Darkness Falls big box expansion (because otherwise you can't finish the storyline).

Otherwise, expansions mostly just increase variety and replayability (or add side quests, as already mentioned).

If you are considering the Ancient Chronicles Kickstarter, then the add-ons are purely about variety/replayability. The second act expansion is being unlocked via stretch goals and will be included even if you pledge the base amount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.