GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,912 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Terraforming Mars: Colonies» Forums » Rules

Subject: Infinite Resources rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mackenzie Franklin
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
We played our first game last night of colonies last night and we found a point where infinite actions and MC ended the game. Here is the scenario:

3 players had colonies on Calisto Colony. One player went to the colony and gained 7 energy in income and colony bonus. He then passed.

The next turn, the same player moved his ship to a new colony, Luna, and gained 7 income. All other players had passed at this point.

For the rest of the game, and it happened all in the same generation (no one else got a turn or did anything), this player just went back and forth between these two colonies and accrued 2 million MC and then used the standard projects to Terraform Mars Completely ending the game. This happened in generation 3.

I feel that this situation can come up a lot with the colonies that produce MC, Titatanium, and Energy, as they can be looped got ridiculous amounts of fuel to move the ship around.

We checked the rules and it seemed like this was a totally legal play.

There is a way to block it, but if you block it for another player, you can just loop yourself and go infinite.

What is going wrong? Is there something we missed? The rule book is only two pages and there have been no entries on BGG or here for this game’s rules questions.

Please let me know! This expansion is really cool! I don’t want to have to house rule it to use it. If we did house rule, I think we are going to make it so each player can only visit each colony once per generation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack1993 wrote:
We played our first game last night of colonies last night and we found a point where infinite actions and MC ended the game. Here is the scenario:

3 players had colonies on Calisto Colony. One player went to the colony and gained 7 energy in income and colony bonus. He then passed.

The next turn, the same player moved his ship to a new colony, Luna, and gained 7 income. All other players had passed at this point.

For the rest of the game, and it happened all in the same generation (no one else got a turn or did anything), this player just went back and forth between these two colonies and accrued 2 million MC and then used the standard projects to Terraform Mars Completely ending the game. This happened in generation 3.

I feel that this situation can come up a lot with the colonies that produce MC, Titatanium, and Energy, as they can be looped got ridiculous amounts of fuel to move the ship around.

We checked the rules and it seemed like this was a totally legal play.

There is a way to block it, but if you block it for another player, you can just loop yourself and go infinite.

What is going wrong? Is there something we missed? The rule book is only two pages and there have been no entries on BGG or here for this game’s rules questions.

Please let me know! This expansion is really cool! I don’t want to have to house rule it to use it. If we did house rule, I think we are going to make it so each player can only visit each colony once per generation.

You only get to trade once per trade fleet per generation when you move the fleet from the Trade Fleets tile.

Trade fleets are not returned to the Trade Fleets tile until the World Government phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Each colony can be traded with only once per generation and each trade fleet can be used only once per generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I barely started reading and i already knew what rule you missed hahaha, someone else already clarified things for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mackenzie Franklin
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you guys! Excited to play it correctly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How he could he do that so many times each generation anyway?? You only get two actions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
RageGoblin wrote:
How he could he do that so many times each generation anyway?? You only get two actions!

Please tell me you are kidding...

Also, I would just like to point out the following:
The rules add the action "Trading with a Colony Tile". This action allows you to (quoted from the rules) "move your Trade Fleet from the Trade Fleets Tile to an available Colony Tile". This rule only allows you to move from the trade fleets tile.
There simply isn't a rule to move a Trade Fleet from one colony to another (or back to the trade fleet tile, except for "When the generation ends, all trade fleets move back from the Colony Tiles to the Trade Fleets Tile").
There isn't a rule that says that a trade fleet can only be used once per generation. There just is no way to use it twice.
There isn't a rule that says that each colony may only trade once. It is just impossible to get a second trade fleet on a colony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet you couldn't believe your luck!

Infinite resources?? Wow!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack1993 wrote:
We checked the rules

Not very successfully I'll point out :-)

You can use a given trade fleet once per generation. It goes from the trade fleet tile to the colony moon. Once. That is all. And a given colony moon can only accept one trade fleet per generation.

You get to use your trade fleet once per generation. A colony moon only gets to be traded with once per generation.

I know this was answered already above. Just being extra clear :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maureen Riley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:

You only get 2 actions per turn, but you get as many turns per generation as you have resources to pay with. You only get one trade action per trade fleet you have each generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trekgirlmo wrote:
You only get 2 actions per turn, but you get as many turns per generation as you have resources to pay with. You only get one trade action per trade fleet you have each generation.

(I'm fairly certain that Joe here was being, ya know, funny; Terraforming Mars meta comedy, if you will...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rikard Johansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
bakija wrote:
trekgirlmo wrote:

(I'm fairly certain that Joe here was being, ya know, funny; Terraforming Mars meta comedy, if you will...)

I laughed regardless. Poe's law and all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoogard wrote:
bakija wrote:
trekgirlmo wrote:

What are you guys talking about??? You can only do 2 actions per generation!!!!! Check ya rulebook folks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryusora wrote:
Hoogard wrote:
bakija wrote:
trekgirlmo wrote:

What are you guys talking about??? You can only do 2 actions per generation!!!!! Check ya rulebook folks

Nope, page 8 of the rulebook

Players take 1 or 2 actions each turn, or pass. Play
proceeds clockwise around the table until all players have
passed.

So you either do

1) 1 action
2) 2 actions
3) pass (in which case you are out of the round)

It keeps going round the table until every player has passed. This usually occurs when you are out of resources and available card actions.

If in doubt, read the example they give
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Furey wrote:

Once again, see couple posts up. It was purely Terraforming Mars meta comedy. I imagine that "Infinite Resources!" is likely to become the new "How do you win this game! You only get 2 actions per generation!"

As such, the meta comedy. Always good to check thread for context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bakija wrote:
Furey wrote:

Once again, see couple posts up. It was purely Terraforming Mars meta comedy. I imagine that "Infinite Resources!" is likely to become the new "How do you win this game! You only get 2 actions per generation!"

It is possible that my joke was too subtle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:

It wasn't even your joke here. There was your joke, which got people all "How do you not know that rule!" (good work, BTW :-), and then your joke was explained, and *then* someone else made your joke a second time, and *then* someone responded explaining the rule again.

Man. I blame smart phones for this. If you look at threads on a smart phone, you probably never see the rest of the thread, so context flies out the window.

Smart phones. Destroying understandable internet comedy since 2010.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
bakija wrote:
Furey wrote:

Good lord! What do they put in the water over there? Comedy has now become meta comedy. Too high brow? I think I’ll stick to Monty Python. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Brother wrote:
There isn't a rule that says that a trade fleet can only be used once per generation. There just is no way to use it twice.
There isn't a rule that says that each colony may only trade once. It is just impossible to get a second trade fleet on a colony.

This is exactly the sort of design construction that leaves room for future cards to allow such action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.