GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,451 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Origin of factions or spheres rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan E.

Lawrence
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmb
I played Star Realms and DragonFire at a game con last week and got to wondering where the idea of factions or spheres (ex. LotR:LCG) or teams (ex. Marvel Legendary) or whatever they might be called in a particular boardgame originated. I couldn't find anything with some basic Google searches. Was it a D&D idea that was picked up by board game creators at some point? I don't have a long history or broad knowledge of the field so this may be an elementary question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I feel like wargames from the 70’s were probably the first to bring the concept of asymmetry to tabletop competitive games. Then games in the late 70’s/80’s like Dune, Civ, Cosmic, and Magic Realm (as well as RPG’s) promoted variable player powers as more of a standard mechanism in (Ameritrash) board games. I think it wasn’t until the mid-2000’s or so that this mechanism started to become common in Euros/German family games but I’m sure there are likely earlier examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
The way it is used in the card games you mention was popularized by the first collectible card game Magic the Gathering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
The way it is used in the card games you mention was popularized by the first collectible card game Magic the Gathering.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Early D&D doesn't really have factions in a general sense unless you count Law and Chaos. (Which it obviously nicked from Moorcock).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably just be a variation on suits from a deck of cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.