GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,365 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Heroes of Terrinoth» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Goblin Problem Peril Clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Christopher
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
For the blue Peril effect the text reads:

"Spawn 1 Goblin from the enemy discard pile engaged with each hero."

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what this means. We interpreted it as you should spawn and engage 1 Goblin from the discard to each hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Moore
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
I went through the discards, pulled out all the cards with the goblin key word, shuffled these together and put one card randomly face-up in front of each hero so as to be engaged with them, and then returned the rest of the goblins to the discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook, page 10:
Quote:
When an enemy spawns, the party leader draws the top card of the enemy deck and places it into play.

Here, the Peril text says that they are spawned "from the enemy discard pile." This overrides the deck from which you draw cards inthe rule so as to read "When an enemy spawns, the party leader draws the top Goblin from the enemy discard pile and places it into play."

The more troublesome wording is "spawn 1 goblin engaged with each hero."

Grammatically, this would mean that the one goblin you drew was engaged with all heroes simultaneously. However, Rule 10 of the rulebook also says:

Quote:
An enemy can only be engaged with one hero at a time. If an
enemy engaged with a hero becomes engaged with another
hero, it is no longer engaged with the first hero.

As such, I interpret the Peril text to mean that you should draw 1 goblin form the discard pile once for each hero.

I have to say that the rulebook is WAY below FFG's usually high standards. I've spotted multiple typos and ambiguous rules like this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
erusnine wrote:
I went through the discards, pulled out all the cards with the goblin key word, shuffled these together and put one card randomly face-up in front of each hero so as to be engaged with them, and then returned the rest of the goblins to the discard pile.

Why shuffle them? It seems you're not required to...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Pratt
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost CoD wrote:
Why shuffle them? It seems you're not required to...

I agree, the wording on this is weird. But since it says 'with each', there's no way it can only be 1 goblin total.

Now on the quote above from Nano, the way I read it is based on 'spawn'. Every time you 'spawn' a monster, it's coming from the monster pile. You are never able (that I've seen) to select a specific monster from the pile. So, it makes more sense to me to pull out all of the Goblin cards from the discard pile, shuffle them, and then 'spawn' them off the top of what you just shuffled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prattski wrote:
So, it makes more sense to me to pull out all of the Goblin cards from the discard pile, shuffle them, and then 'spawn' them off the top of what you just shuffled.

As Ghost said, there's no requirement to shuffle. When the game doesn't specify a method for choosing, the players can choose which ones they get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Prattski wrote:
So, it makes more sense to me to pull out all of the Goblin cards from the discard pile, shuffle them, and then 'spawn' them off the top of what you just shuffled.

As Ghost said, there's no requirement to shuffle. When the game doesn't specify a method for choosing, the players can choose which ones they get.

Or you could use the Grim Rule and always take the toughest Goblin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Durgin
United States
Tijeras
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think any of these are valid:

1) Pull out all the goblins shuffle them, distribute randomly. Note that nothing in the rules says to do this, but it's a logical way to resolve it.

2) Pick out the easiest goblins (applying Golden Rule). Assign them however you want (including randomly).

3) Pick the hardest goblins (applying Grim Rule). Assign the toughest one to the hero who is weakest or has most targets already, etc. Or assign randomly.

But I play solo, so there is nobody to argue with about this during the game. When it came up in my game, I did #2. I won the first scenario easily, so maybe next time I will do #3.

If I was playing with other people, probably #1 would cause the least discussion/argument. Or just let the current Party Leader decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.