GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,641 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Heroes of Terrinoth» Forums » General

Subject: Rules We've Been Getting Wrong rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Pratt
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with any game, it's not too difficult to misread or forget some of the rules. Here's a list of the rules that we have gotten wrong for the first few plays. Some of these ended up making the game feel easier than it should be (which concerned me), but now that we've got them figured out, it's definitely becoming more balanced and fun:

1. Threat icon on the enemy dice: We originally thought that it had no effect if the nemesis was in its lair. However, you do resolve it if the nemesis is in its lair or out of its lair. For any number of threat rolled, you must resolve all possible threat icons (which I think are currently only on nemesis monsters. The rules state "resolves all threat effects on quest sheets, face cards in play, and face cards in the nemesis lair". I did not find any any quest sheets or other non-nemesis cards in the base game, so that seems to imply that they will be coming in future expansions).

2. The shield icons on the attack dice do not cancel counterattacks. For each shield, it cancels 1 damage from any counter attacks.

3. When traveling to a new location, you get to discard any monsters that are in the shadows (there are exceptions occasionally, but you'll see that on cards)

4. Only roll black enemy dice for the # of engaged and readied monsters. If you managed to exhaust an enemy that is engaged with you, you do not need to roll a black die for it.

5. Make sure to read the quest cards carefully. There are certain things that will happen at different times that can be easy to miss.

6. You can only use up to 2 success tokens per activation, even though your character can hold up to 5.

7. After resolving your attack dice, even if a monster would be dead, it still has the ability to counterattack you. Any defeated monsters are discarded after resolving the enemy dice.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hammer

Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We missed a couple of those in our first playthrough, as well.

In addition, we neglected the rule that allows a hero to engage an enemy that is already engaged with another hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Yerelian
msg tools
Follow up to point 1

If you defeat the nemesis does their Threat Icon still resolve? Or just if they are in lair/shadows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Pratt
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lyerelian wrote:
If you defeat the nemesis does their Threat Icon still resolve? Or just if they are in lair/shadows?

My understanding is that if a monster is defeated, the threat does not resolve. It's only if the monster is in the lair, or is in play (either in the shadows or engaged with a hero).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Yerelian
msg tools
Prattski wrote:
lyerelian wrote:

My understanding is that if a monster is defeated, the threat does not resolve. It's only if the monster is in the lair, or is in play (either in the shadows or engaged with a hero).

That is what I was thinking too. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lyerelian wrote:
Follow up to point 1

It should, as resolving the results of the enemy dice happens in step 3 and removing defeated enemies happens in step 4. No different from the counterattack die.

Or do you mean if the nemesis was already dead before you even started your action? In which case, yeah it shouldn’t resolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Yerelian
msg tools
Baldrekr wrote:
lyerelian wrote:
Follow up to point 1

It should, as resolving the results of the enemy dice happens in step 3 and removing defeated enemies happens in step 4. No different from the counterattack die.

Or do you mean if the nemesis was already dead before you even started your action? In which case, yeah it shouldn’t resolve.

Yeah we defeated the Splig from the first scenario. On the next players activation the player was exploring and rolled a threat. We weren't sure if we should resolve it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodman
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I missed the rule about 2 success tokens, which I should have figured since WHQ only allowed 2 per card. My swing of 8 against splig was not legit. I am excited to play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prattski wrote:
As with any game, it's not too difficult to misread or forget some of the rules. Here's a list of the rules that we have gotten wrong for the first few plays. Some of these ended up making the game feel easier than it should be (which concerned me), but now that we've got them figured out, it's definitely becoming more balanced and fun:

1. Threat icon on the enemy dice: We originally thought that it had no effect if the nemesis was in its lair. However, you do resolve it if the nemesis is in its lair or out of its lair. For any number of threat rolled, you must resolve all possible threat icons (which I think are currently only on nemesis monsters. The rules state "resolves all threat effects on quest sheets, face cards in play, and face cards in the nemesis lair". I did not find any any quest sheets or other non-nemesis cards in the base game, so that seems to imply that they will be coming in future expansions).

2. The shield icons on the attack dice do not cancel counterattacks. For each shield, it cancels 1 damage from any counter attacks.

3. When traveling to a new location, you get to discard any monsters that are in the shadows (there are exceptions occasionally, but you'll see that on cards)

4. Only roll black enemy dice for the # of engaged and readied monsters. If you managed to exhaust an enemy that is engaged with you, you do not need to roll a black die for it.

5. Make sure to read the quest cards carefully. There are certain things that will happen at different times that can be easy to miss.

6. You can only use up to 2 success tokens per activation, even though your character can hold up to 5.

7. After resolving your attack dice, even if a monster would be dead, it still has the ability to counterattack you. Any defeated monsters are discarded after resolving the enemy dice.

We all miss some obscure rules here and there, but I have to ask....did you even read the rulebook?

Seriously, though...I actually forgot you discarded shadow monsters when you travel in my second game, but not my first. That's world-class idiocy, right there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grahamers2002 wrote:
We all miss some obscure rules here and there, but I have to ask....did you even read the rulebook?

The short answer is that it doesn't matter, because reading a rulebook once is never enough. I have not yet met a person who has been able to read a rulebook one time and then play 100% correctly. People just don't work that way.

This is the only way I learn any game:

- Read the rulebook (usually twice)
- Play
- Read the rulebook again (discover missed or forgotten rules)
- Play again
- Etc. until I finally play correctly (or at least I think I am!)

If anyone thinks they are playing a nontrivial game correctly after reading the rules once, try reading the rules again and see what you missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
and symo
Australia
Northcote
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
These are all great reminders! The one that always got us was when the marker reaches the last spot on the peril track, the effect goes off every turn. It makes a massive difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Coyle
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nice list!

I just want to note that #6 is a little more nuanced. You can only spend up to 2 tokens to improve the results of a roll that occurs as part of a hero's activation, but you may spend any number of success tokens during an activation. For example, you may discard a success token to trigger a hero's special ability, then spend two more token to improve the roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Blumhardt
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lyerelian wrote:
Follow up to point 1

...on that note, have we gotten official word on how to handle defeated Nemeses yet? I know it was a hot discussion here and on FFG's forums for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of the scenarios don't have the location track progress linearly. And pay close attention to any other scenario specific rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yeo Wen Xuan
Singapore
flag msg tools
Rules that my group and I missed:
-You can only have max 3 enemies engaged with you. If a 4th is forced to engage you, it inflicts its damage and retreats into the shadows.
-During the enemy phase, all readied enemies activate. We initially only activated 1 enemy per hero.
-When dividing wounds to a facedown enemy, a hero cannot choose to deal 1 wound to reveal it and subsequently deal additional wounds to it.

Feel free to add these on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radomir B.
Slovakia
flag msg tools
Curious, eh? :)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First two games I assumed that once the enemy deck is depleted, no more enemies spawn. It looked nicely easy. I had to re-read the rulebook very carefully to find the rule saying that once the enemy deck is depleted, you have to reshuffle it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was having the changeling deal the damage of the enemy it mimics. But upon closer inspection it just copies the effect bar of the enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robt. Ferrett
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I misread the success token rule as meaning "spend 2 tokens to get 1 extra success."

That's on me. It's crystal clear as I go back and read it again that it should be, add 1 success per token, limit 2 tokens per roll.

The Goblin scenario ended up being more difficult than expected with my misread version of the rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.