GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,144 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

John Company» Forums » Rules

Subject: Concerning Officers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Hunter
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know once placed guns are there for the duration. But regarding officers: is there a way to get rid of them? I know you can replace older ones with newer after you reach three in a presidency, but are you always then stuck with at least three? Obviously it gets expensive and devious players wanting to crash the company finances can really wreck havoc here. Didn’t know if I was missing a rule quirk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Cunha
Norway
Lysaker
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Officers can be promoted to Provincial Offices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grayfoxpt wrote:
Officers can be promoted to Provincial Offices.

Which means that the President must Campaign to open the Provincial Office, which means that the company needs to buy Officers and Guns to successfully campaign and to defend it's holdings afterwards, which means that there's enough military power to expand and conquer more, which creates the same problems, etc.

This self-reinforcing military spiral is one of the key levers in John Company's model (and the history) - if you build an army, you tend to have to use it, which demands a larger army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hunter
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it...thanks. I did overlook the possibility of promoting to provincial offices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominick Duhamel
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
within cells interlinked
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for ways to cut military costs, you can also try to increase the chances that a presidency will lose its last region and thus close, thereby eliminating its officer slots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
Domfluff wrote:

This self-reinforcing military spiral is one of the key levers in John Company's model (and the history) - if you build an army, you tend to have to use it, which demands a larger army.

Which means, the second you see someone place two Officers in the box, take a good long look at their score and scoring potential, because they're getting ready to tank the company. Pun not intended, but awesome. But Dominick is right, a great way to fight it is grabbing a rebellious location and letting them have at.

Ah, I love the strategies and the down right cruelty this game provides....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.