GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,766 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
61 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Fucking bastard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: California [+] US_Politics [+] [View All]
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools

Btw this tweet was made in Paris, no less.
Wish we could drop this scumbag in the middle of the fires, that’s the only place he deserves to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
The editor of the model railroad magazine I used to write for was under mandatory evacuation at 4 am today. He's now 60 miles east at some friends, and doesn't know if he'll have a home tomorrow.

I've been to his home several times in the 1990s, there aren't any "forests" around his area to speak of, it's wall-to-wall suburbia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they need to surround these neighborhoods with the same concrete wall we use to block freeway noise. They are about 20 feet tall. And you'd need any flammable material gone outside the wall for half a mile. apparently the radiant heat is explosive.

And they could upgrade construction standards to use more concrete and non-flammable materials on the outside.

Mr. "Bone Spurs" Trump was being a dick however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
I think they need to surround these neighborhoods with the same concrete wall we use to block freeway noise. They are about 20 feet tall. And you'd need any flammable material gone outside the wall for half a mile. apparently the radiant heat is explosive.

And they could upgrade construction standards to use more concrete and non-flammable materials on the outside.

Yeah, what you're suggesting would do just about nothing to stop the spread of these fires. They jump entire freeways due to blowing embers. When the winds get going, you'd pretty much need to coat the entire area in flame-retardant foam and pray that it didn't get blown away.

There are some things that Californians imported that up the ante - eucalyptus trees basically explode when they catch fire and they were popular in a lot of developments for a while. But the reality is that a whole lot of California is either a desert or very, very dry. When fires start, they will be huge and devastating.

And, for what it's worth, the state regularly updates building codes and even includes brush clearance requirements for a lot of areas due to the risk of fire. It helps some, but can't stop it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
sowe can right off all the tornado blighted repub states in the midwest then because they don't build houses tornado proof?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maxo-texas wrote:

A chance to build more walls? Trump should be rejoicing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
We better drain the ocean off the East and Gulf coasts, too, to stop all those hurricanes that happen every year.

"Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests ocean. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife follows DJT’s Twitter feed, and earlier today we were rage-chortling about this insane grumpa diaper-shit. Allow me to translate:

“Goverment spent a few bucks and it couldn’t contain Nature, so goverment shouldn’t even try. Also, fuck California.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose Prince Joffrey would also blame grass fires on poor grass management?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
There are some things that Californians imported that up the ante - eucalyptus trees basically explode when they catch fire and they were popular in a lot of developments for a while.

Even our trees are deadly. Straya mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:

You ever see one go up when they're loaded with oil? It's terrifying.

Something like this:

And that was just one branch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Trump defunded forest management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Also, Trump defunded forest management.

He has a reputation for nonpayment.

Like most idiot business wreckers, he just demands shit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very legal & very cool
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
We better drain the ocean off the East and Gulf coasts, too, to stop all those hurricanes that happen every year.

"Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests ocean. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!"

We're gonna Drill a Big, Beautiful Hole at the bottom of the Marinara Trench. I make the Best Holes, Believe Me. Trust me, we're gonna Lick this "Hurricane Problem" just as soon as the Obstructionist Dems agree to #FundTheDrain. Let the dwarfs deal with these Hurricanes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Yeah, what you're suggesting would do just about nothing to stop the spread of these fires. They jump entire freeways due to blowing embers. When the winds get going, you'd pretty much need to coat the entire area in flame-retardant foam and pray that it didn't get blown away.

There are some things that Californians imported that up the ante - eucalyptus trees basically explode when they catch fire and they were popular in a lot of developments for a while. But the reality is that a whole lot of California is either a desert or very, very dry. When fires start, they will be huge and devastating.

And, for what it's worth, the state regularly updates building codes and even includes brush clearance requirements for a lot of areas due to the risk of fire. It helps some, but can't stop it all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California#Geography
What I've highlighted is something of a myth--or it depends on what you mean by "a lot". (The rest is accurate.)

We do have a lot of desert--Death Valley can hit 130+F (55+C) with ground temperatures near boiling. The red (BWh) and red-orange (BWk) in the map to the right are the deserts. Few people live in them, and their natural trees are not easily burned. The desert is not where big fires hit.

In Southern California, the fires usually come with up to 60mph (100kph) gusting winds from the high deserts. As the winds descend, they become hotter and dryer--single digit humidity. The deserts are cold now, so the highs are only in the low 80s (~28C).

In one 1982 fire, power lines were blown into a palm tree and ignited four blocks in the midst of a city. Anaheim's fire department and mutual aid were able to contain the fire to those blocks, but the blocks were completely destroyed. At the time, wood shingle roofs were allowed.
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/04/21/A-massive-early-morn...

Anaheim used to be a big grape then orange growing area. "Anaheim" means "Home by the Santa Ana river"--not a river by continental standards, but not a desert either.

I'm unsure of the cause of the Northern California "Camp Fire" that devastated Paradise.

The video below shows the major fires burning as of Saturday morning. The fire the woman drives through at 0:20 is burning natural growth and structures. Most pines are not actually burning, shown at 2:50. (This is the Camp Fire, well north of any desert, well north of the bend in California's eastern border.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another day, another shitty, stupid statement from one of America's biggest idiots.

Someone on Fox News must have been spewing trash about California and of course he had to repeat the idiocy. He's such a nightmare of a person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
What I've highlighted is something of a myth--or it depends on what you mean by "a lot". (The rest is accurate.)

Ummm, something like 60% of the state on that map is arid or semi-arid. A huge portion of the rest is some flavor of Mediterranean, which also tends to be on the dry side. And the state isn't noted for it's heavy rainfall (and that map is from wetter years). So I think "desert or very, very dry" isn't a myth at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

Ummm, something like 60% of the state on that map is arid or semi-arid. A huge portion of the rest is some flavor of Mediterranean, which also tends to be on the dry side. And the state isn't noted for it's heavy rainfall (and that map is from wetter years). So I think "desert or very, very dry" isn't a myth at all.

Not my experience spending the first part of my life there, and having traveled throughout the state. Seasonally dry, yes. Which leads to spectacular fire seasons.

Mediterranean climes are dry in summer. The rains come in the fall/winter. Drought years excepted, ofc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
it's worth noting that wildfires only became an annual occurrence in California in 2002; before then, you'd get them every few years or so, but most years the dry season wasn't long or intense enough to allow for really devastating, fast-spreading wildfires

this is a good example of how climate change exacerbates problems we already had and makes them much, much worse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

Maybe this clarifies things if you can see the maps side by side?

River map from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rivers_of_California

If you have rivers running through "semi-arid" areas, are they effectively semi-arid? They may receive little direct rainfall, but they get a lot of rainfall by river from the Sierra Nevada ("Mountains of Snow") to the East. Which is why a lot of the most productive farm land is in those "semi-arid" regions.

Also, the Köppen climate areas are a bit odd in some cases. Notice that Csc Cold Summer area extends from parts of the LA area to all of the Oregon border and down to almost back to LA. But while LA has occasional fog, just north of SF, fog is endemic and the Sequoias form in a temperate water-rich forest, but "The tallest and oldest trees are found in deep valleys and gullies, where year-round streams can flow, and fog drip is regular." The Köppen climate system isn't perfect; its more accurate talking about normal continental climates. Further, it's a climate system, not a weather system: exceptional events like Santa Ana winds don't enter into the calculations.

Köppen basically just uses a rain gauge and a thermometer, so it doesn't account for rivers or fog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
perfalbion wrote:
sbszine wrote:

You ever see one go up when they're loaded with oil? It's terrifying.

Something like this:

And that was just one branch.

Yes. Yes, some of us might just be familiar with that phenomenon... And the related firestorm that arises (and can out-pace cars) when a forest of the things burn. Some of us might even be in favour of clear-felling for quite a distance around buildings as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.