GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,261 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Too Many Bones» Forums » General

Subject: Is there a "campaign" mode possible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize each "encounter" is functionally part of a larger campaign; but I'm asking more about something that enables characters to grow/develop over multiple *hours* of playing (whereas, most playthroughs I've seen seem to top out around 3-5 hours).

I know - when the game was first released, there were questions (and I know Age of Tyranny, apparently, maybe *does* offer that?)

But, for those who just have the original KS (which I may be getting a copy next week) -- did anyone ever houserule something; like -- after each successful "victory" against a tyrant, you can keep *one* of the upgrades you received.

Or, was the general consensus just that that's not the kind of game this is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing stoping you from doing this. I think that characters would be proably too strong, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course ...

I suspect the same (and, I wasn't certain if I was going to post this into the variants section (although, it's far less tested).

I'm guessing there *was* nothing that came out that provided this opportunity. It's definitely a lot to pull off (basically, taking the Pathfinder: Adventure Card Game engine-builder and putting it into TMB.

It would certainly require some changes made to the tyrants (and, does Age of Tyranny do that?) Once I get my copy, I'll need to determine what else I need to procure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two campaign modes available in the expansions. The Undertow campaign is a longer adventure where you face 3 different tyrants, but it's still a single session. You could apply that idea with different combinations of tyrants for more variety. The Age of Tyranny campaign has campaign cards so that you mostly reset after each boss fight, but you can carry a few things over between games. I tried both kinds of campaigns, and I didn't really like the Age of Tyranny campaign. It didn't offer a strong enough sense of continuity between the games within a campaign for my tastes. I liked the Undertow style campaign better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of "hours" -- presuming a short/medium tyrant in the base set takes about 3-3.5 hours to play ... what do those campaigns offer in terms of time-investment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Schachtner
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
I like to play games solo or over hangouts.
badge
Nothing to see here, madness.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
In terms of "hours" -- presuming a short/medium tyrant in the base set takes about 3-3.5 hours to play ... what do those campaigns offer in terms of time-investment?
This greatly depends on your speed of play and the tyrants you face. My Undertow campaign with Barnacle, Vol-Kesh, and Nobulous was played over 3 evenings, or about 7.5 hours.

Age of Tyranny comes with a playmat to help you keep track between multiple sessions, so you plug everything into the mat, then take a picture, or leave it be.

The hardest part, is that in both of the campaigns, you could potential use defeated Tyrants dice as your own skill dice. With just the TMB base set, you are completely missing that from play. IF your REALLY wanted to do something like this for the Base Set, I would recommend you go download the Undertow rulebook from the website and read through how that campaign works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't *really* want to do it for the base set -- I just didn't know if anyone had designed something for it.

If other expansions make this a little more possible, then I'll just be on the hunt for the other expansions, to add that functionality to what I have

As I said - there are logistical issues with just carrying heroes over -- I see that. And, perhaps this *is* best as just a single-night skirmish game (but, then again, Descent was the same, initially; and they apparently figured out a way to create something "co-op" into the experience ...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Shackleford
msg tools
In January our group did a campaign with the base game using the proposed rules where you chain three tyrants in a row and face them in order of progress point requirement. We kept all character progress through the entire thing.

This took us a lot longer than expected--4 sessions of about 6-8 hours each. Maybe we just play slowly. But it was FUN!

All four of us managed to unlock all of our skill dice by the end, which was a nice opportunity to experiment with different combinations. But I don't think I'd do it that way again. Maybe ignoring every second or third training point would be a better balance.

Loot was something of an issue, because with so many encounters we picked up favorable items that worked well for us and we really didn't want to swap anything out. I suppose there are worse problems to have.

One particular trove loot card became quickly overpowered: Hunter's Body Count Necklace. We didn't reset this after each tyrant, but in retrospect we should have. The number of dice Tantrum got to roll with this was insane, and was a "one-shot any beast, get lots and lots of bones" machine.

The BQ got pretty insane toward the end, as you might expect. We were at 96 baddie points for the final tyrant. This may have contributed somewhat to the time spent finishing the campaign.

This was a fun experience, though as played it definitely needs some rules tweaking.

Next week I'll be starting a two-person Undertow campaign, and probably a 3-4 person Age of Tyranny campaign once that's done. I'm definitely looking forward to playing both of those!

Game on, Gearlocs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.