GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,111 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Monolith Arena» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some questions after playing each faction... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Demon Piggies
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Westerly Gamer
badge
Piggies
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just did 2 plays using each faction (I used 2 and my wife used the other 2) and we have some general questions:

1. Lords of the Abyss's Teleportation feature can be used each turn (controlling player), correct?

2. For Dragon Empire's Charge ability the card states "Resolve the attack". Does this mean the attacker's attack or does iniative a factor? Also is it just the tile being attacked or do the tiles adjacent also attack?

3. Also can Charge be used while the Monolith is unfolded? Basically can it be used as long as the movement still follows the connectivity rule? This was more to verify the tile cannot charge out of the Monolith piece it is in.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Lindholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb

Demonpiggies wrote:
Just did 2 plays using each faction (I used 2 and my wife used the other 2) and we have some general questions:

1. Lords of the Abyss's Teleportation feature can be used each turn (controlling player), correct?

The rules says nothing about that. But there are only 2 tiles with the Teleportation feature, and they can only use it once. So not once/turn, but once/tile, then the Teleportation feature is expended for that game.

But what I want to know is if you can Teleport the HQ/Banner with the Teleportation booster/rune tiles? The card says:
”Friendly connectected tiles recieve the Teleportation Feature”
And is that Teleportation only once? Because, ideally, you could teleport tiles from one Teleport rune to the other (there are two).


”Demonpiggies” wrote:
2. For Dragon Empire's Charge ability the card states "Resolve the attack". Does this mean the attacker's attack or does iniative a factor? Also is it just the tile being attacked or do the tiles adjacent also attack?

There are no rules explaining the charge attack in full. I understand the Charge Feature to work like the NS Hex army Dancer’s ’Instant Action’ tile: you get to fire one shot at one enemy, and it doesn’t get to shoot back. If so, you get to move 1 hex, and then attack. Only 1 charge/turn, though, and it also ends the turn.


”Demonpiggies” wrote:
3. Also can Charge be used while the Monolith is unfolded? Basically can it be used as long as the movement still follows the connectivity rule? This was more to verify the tile cannot charge out of the Monolith piece it is in.

I take it the charge can be done from a Monolith plastic base, thus leaving it. After unfolding the Monolith - with the Cavalry unit in it - you’re allowed to play any ’Order tile’ you may have in your hand, for example a Battle/Charge tile.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. A. G.
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
about teleportation
MOSDEF66 wrote:

Demonpiggies wrote:
Just did 2 plays using each faction (I used 2 and my wife used the other 2) and we have some general questions:

1. Lords of the Abyss's Teleportation feature can be used each turn (controlling player), correct?

The rules says nothing about that. But there are only 2 tiles with the Teleportation feature, and they can only use it once. So not once/turn, but once/tile, then the Teleportation feature is expended for that game.


The English rule says "You can move a tile [...) to any empty space [...] once and/or rotate it into any direction".
It means that you can only teleport the unit once per round. That way you can't teleport it away, move a unit through the hex, and teleport it back.
The Teleport symbol, just like the Maneuveur one, doesn't have a special red pattern like the Demon's Transformation to show it's used in a limited particular way.
It's just a normal (although strong) Feature which can be used every round, as far as I understand it.

https://portalgames.pl/en/blog-monolith-arena-bu-ha-ha-ha/
On top of that, this official article clearly states that they can teleport every rounds.
And fortunately, as they're much more interesting and nasty that way! devil


Regarding the Teleportation Rune however, it only says that connected friendly units benefit it...
So the Banner theorically should benefit it too. And yes, it seems powerful.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Lindholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb

MasterTouan wrote:
MOSDEF66 wrote:

Demonpiggies wrote:
Just did 2 plays using each faction (I used 2 and my wife used the other 2) and we have some general questions:

1. Lords of the Abyss's Teleportation feature can be used each turn (controlling player), correct?

The rules says nothing about that. But there are only 2 tiles with the Teleportation feature, and they can only use it once. So not once/turn, but once/tile, then the Teleportation feature is expended for that game.


The English rule says "You can move a tile [...) to any empty space [...] once and/or rotate it into any direction".
It means that you can only teleport the unit once per round. That way you can't teleport it away, move a unit through the hex, and teleport it back.
The Teleport symbol, just like the Maneuveur one, doesn't have a special red pattern like the Demon's Transformation to show it's used in a limited particular way.
It's just a normal (although strong) Feature which can be used every round, as far as I understand it.


It seems you're correct about that - I got it mixed up with the Transformation feature.
Unclear formulation on the army card, though.

Teleportation of the HQ/Banner seems like a crazy good attack/defense feature, though. OK, it's not a feature of the HQ itself, but still ... If this really is the case, I'm still confident the armies are well balanced against each other.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. A. G.
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
about Charge
I've treated Teleportation that way so far, and sure using it on the Banner reinforces the Lords as a vicious faction.

I have an another question about the Charge feature: it needs an unused Maneuver, right? A knight can't move with Maneuver then make a Charge (with its mandatory move)? Just to be clear.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Lindholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb

MasterTouan wrote:
I have an another question about the Charge feature: it needs an unused Maneuver, right? A knight can't move with Maneuver then make a Charge (with its mandatory move)? Just to be clear.

Reading the army card, it seems pretty straight forward?

”The tile must use its Maneuver Feature to move 1 space (and rotate
if necessary) so that it is adjacent to an enemy tile in the direction of the attack. Resolve the attack. A Charge automatically ends the player’s turn. Both movement and attack are mandatory to complete a Charge - you cannot do one without the other.”


1. Move 1 hex (using the charging tiles own Movement)
2. Deal damage

But no: that would be 2 Moves - can’t imagine this is the case?

You could move 2 or 3 hexes and then attack/deal damage - if there was a Move Rune on the board & and/or a Move Order was drawn.
(There is an example of a 3-hex Move with a Cavalry tile on p. 18 in the Rules. But not a Charge attack, just the using the Cavalry tile’s Movement Feature).




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Lindholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb

Another question: is it free to jump in/out the Monolith as you see fit?

The Banner of the Dwarves gives its surrounding friendly tiles Movement (like ’Smart’). If the Monolith is being unfolded, is it allowed to move the tiles out of their plastic bases (providing they’re adjacent to the Banner), and then fill the empty slots with board tiles you have on hand?
This case - with armies leaving/filling the Monolith bases - is of course true of any army when Movement is involved: a Movement Rune, a Movement Order, a Movement Feature.

1. Draw 3 tiles - discard 1
2. Unfold the Monolith
3. Use Move Runes, Orders or Features to leave/fill the Monolith bases.
4. Place board tiles from the hand in empty Monolith bases.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Szafarz
Poland
flag msg tools
The tiles can never leave Monolith bases apart from being killed. It's clearly stated in the rules. (I can't quote as I have Polish rules) That limits the usefulness of Charge in Monolith because you can only move those tiles where it doesn't break the monolith (each monolith base connected to at least one).

EDIT: the English rule says . "In addition, a tile placed within a Monolith cannot be removed by standard rules, only when the tile is destroyed is it removed from the board, and the Monolith."

If you have doubts, Polish rules are clearer: "cannot leave the Monolith (although is of course removed if eliminated)", instead of "cannot be removed". Poor translation again, I guess.

MOSDEF66 wrote:

Reading the army card, it seems pretty straight forward?

”The tile must use its Maneuver Feature to move 1 space (and rotate if necessary) so that it is adjacent to an enemy tile in the direction of the attack. Resolve the attack. A Charge automatically ends the player’s turn. Both movement and attack are mandatory to complete a Charge - you cannot do one without the other.”


This is weird. In Polish rules there's nothing like that. It reads (my translation): choose a friendly tile with the Cavalry feature to perform a Charge. Then choose an enemy tile to which the charging tile will be adjacent after moving 1 space. After performing the move and/or rotating, so that the [charging] tile's attack faces the target, resolve the attack.

In this version, yes it can move before charging.

It seems Portal has done it again. Mistakes / poorly phrased rules / translations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Lindholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb

CaveMaster wrote:
The tiles can never leave Monolith bases apart from being killed. It's clearly stated in the rules. (I can't quote as I have Polish rules) That limits the usefulness of Charge in Monolith because you can only move those tiles where it doesn't break the monolith (each monolith base connected to at least one).

EDIT: the English rule says . "In addition, a tile placed within a Monolith cannot be removed by standard rules, only when the tile is destroyed is it removed from the board, and the Monolith."

If you have doubts, Polish rules are clearer: "cannot leave the Monolith (although is of course removed if eliminated)", instead of "cannot be removed". Poor translation again, I guess.


Crazy. I’ve read the Monolith rules back & forth, but failed to see that passage at the bottom of p. 19. wow

On p. 21 there’s another passage that implies the same thing:

”Tiles located on the segments of the Monolith always move with them, which means they can be pushed back, moved, etc. as long as the Monolith rule of inseparability is maintained. located on the segments of the Monolith always move with them, which means they can be pushed back, moved, etc. as long as the Monolith rule of inseparability is maintained.”

Thanks for pointing this out. It makes the Monolith-thing quite a bit less dynamic, though. We’ll see how it plays now.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Lindholm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb

CaveMaster wrote:
MOSDEF66 wrote:

Reading the army card, it seems pretty straight forward?

”The tile must use its Maneuver Feature to move 1 space (and rotate if necessary) so that it is adjacent to an enemy tile in the direction of the attack. Resolve the attack. A Charge automatically ends the player’s turn. Both movement and attack are mandatory to complete a Charge - you cannot do one without the other.”


This is weird. In Polish rules there's nothing like that. It reads (my translation): choose a friendly tile with the Cavalry feature to perform a Charge. Then choose an enemy tile to which the charging tile will be adjacent after moving 1 space. After performing the move and/or rotating, so that the [charging] tile's attack faces the target, resolve the attack.

In this version, yes it can move before charging.

It seems Portal has done it again. Mistakes / poorly phrased rules / translations.


I understand it this way: You can Move all you want, or can, with the help of Orders and/or Runes before making a Charge attack, which always consists of a Move + an Attack. And the Move here is the Cavalry units own Maneuver Feature. It’s not an option - it’s mandatory.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Szafarz
Poland
flag msg tools
MOSDEF66 wrote:


Thanks for pointing this out. It makes the Monolith-thing quite a bit less dynamic, though. We’ll see how it plays now.


I think it's actually great! The opponent can block the moves of your Monolith tiles, or you can prevent the opponent from pushing you back, or you can push the opponents tile into a monolith to prevent it from repositioning. It puts more weight into your initial choice of which pieces you choose for the Monolith and forcing you to build your strategy around that choice. This is also strengthened by the fold back after battle mechanic. In fact, your primary means of moving those tiles is unfolding / folding back the monolith which, if you think about it, makes those tiles quite mobile throughout the game if you keep them alive! You really have to think few steps ahead about your unfolding and what you want to achieve with it.

As a result the Monolith mechanic is constantly a factor in play from beginning to end, folding in and out multiple times per match, instead of being "I'll keep those pieces and use it once if I don't like my hand" type of thing that it seemed to be at first glance. I am really postively surprised with how good it plays. It really adds another tactical and strategic puzzle on top of all, which is what Neuroshima.. .erm .. Monolith is all about!

My most succesful Monolith plays so far were Rune of Teleportation which allowed me to teleport various things (remember, each battle - different position!), including moving my own HQ out of harm's way (even with all restrictions!). Or assasin comboed with +2 initiative (and a battle order ideally).

MOSDEF66 wrote:

I understand it this way: You can Move all you want, or can, with the help of Orders and/or Runes before making a Charge attack, which always consists of a Move + an Attack. And the Move here is the Cavalry units own Maneuver Feature. It’s not an option - it’s mandatory.


Yeah, but there's nothing in the Polish rules that implies that the move is thanks to the innate Maneuver Feature and not from the Charge Order itself. This is huge and needs to be clarified.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. A. G.
France
Itteville
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CaveMaster wrote:
MOSDEF66 wrote:

I understand it this way: You can Move all you want, or can, with the help of Orders and/or Runes before making a Charge attack, which always consists of a Move + an Attack. And the Move here is the Cavalry units own Maneuver Feature. It’s not an option - it’s mandatory.


Yeah, but there's nothing in the Polish rules that implies that the move is thanks to the innate Maneuver Feature and not from the Charge Order itself. This is huge and needs to be clarified.

Honestly, considering that it's absent from the Polish rules and the way NHex and units behaved until that point, it'd be much more "natural" if the Charge was independant from the Maneuver Feature.
I can't even recall any unit, including the ones from fan-armies, that needs to not use a feature to use another one.


About monoliths, I can't say anything as I have not tried them yet, but that gamemode seems quite interesting.
I'd be curious to try it with NHex factions too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Szafarz
Poland
flag msg tools
MasterTouan wrote:

Honestly, considering that it's absent from the Polish rules and the way NHex and units behaved until that point, it'd be much more "natural" if the Charge was independant from the Maneuver Feature.
I can't even recall any unit, including the ones from fan-armies, that needs to not use a feature to use another one.


Yeah, but then again it's mentioned in the English rules *explicitly*. Makes me think they had a few revisions of the manual and either the wrong one got translated or the wrong one got printed in the Polish edition. Or the translator had his/her own interpretations lol. I think I'll message portal about that, see if they answer

MasterTouan wrote:

About monoliths, I can't say anything as I have not tried them yet, but that gamemode seems quite interesting.
I'd be curious to try it with NHex factions too.


I imagine Neojungle with initative modules in the Monolith could get quite powerful. Then again, it would need space to unfold, and would be vulnerable after battle. And what about Steel Police with net launcher and ... Judge? Predator? Pacifier? So many options, can't wait to try!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.