GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,484 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Don't understand "Stand Together" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Stand Together says:

"Action: Choose a player. That player may declare any number of his eligible characters as defenders against each enemy attacking him this phase. "

I thought you could already declare any number of eligible characters as defenders.

I also thought that only one defender can be chosen, since how else would you know how to distribute the damage caused by the enemy?

There is nowhere in the rules it explains how to process damage for multiple defenders.

I simply don't understand the text on the card, can you give me an example of what they are talking about?

Sorry for my density
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, you can only defend with 1 character and that character takes the damage (if any).

Stand Together lets you declare multiple defenders for each single attack. For multiple defenders, you pick one of the characters who receives all the damage (this is in the FAQ).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The nice thing about Stand Together is that you also combine all their defenses, which makes it less likely that there will be any damage at all. It's still not a very widely used card, though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
The nice thing about Stand Together is that you also combine all their defenses, which makes it less likely that there will be any damage at all.


Is this true? I have never quite figured out how one reaches that conclusion, except by deciding that it's the only reason for that card to exist. Otherwise, it's a very, very situational card for use when you have several Gondorian Spearmen or the like.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
dalestephenson wrote:
The nice thing about Stand Together is that you also combine all their defenses, which makes it less likely that there will be any damage at all.


Is this true? I have never quite figured out how one reaches that conclusion, except by deciding that it's the only reason for that card to exist. Otherwise, it's a very, very situational card for use when you have several Gondorian Spearmen or the like.


When multiple characters attack they combine their attack, so when multiple characters defend they should combine their defense. In the absence of combining their defense, there's no possible way to establish *which* defense value you should use.

Even with the ability to combine their defense, it's still a very situational card. If you're using lots of characters to defend against a tough attack, that's a lot of characters you don't have available to attack, which means you'll be facing that same attack again next turn. It generally makes more sense to chump and use lots of characters to kill the enemy. Repeatable defense combination (hero Dori) is underrated, but one-time defense combination is rarely worth the deckspace IMO.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S R
Germany
flag msg tools
Pit of Misery wrote:
Stand Together says:

"Action: Choose a player. That player may declare any number of his eligible characters as defenders against each enemy attacking him this phase. "

While we are talking about it:
Does this mean my chosen characters can defend against every incoming attack this phase, or do I need to declare a seperate set of defenders for each attack?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
I agree that the English is slightly ambiguous but I believe it means is that for each enemy attack you can declare multiple defenders not that you can declare the same set of characters as defenders against each attack even if they are already exhausted from defending a previous attack.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
This thread makes me think... might be interesting to toss a copy or two in a deck with allies like Warden of Healing, Imladris Stargazer, etc. because their abilities are situational there are sometimes rounds where they are ready and not needed during the combat phase but need to stick around for future rounds. In this case, Stand Together essentially becomes a free defense boost to a defending character. And, it looks to be a decent card for two-handed/multiplayer due to 'choose a player'.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
I actually do use it in one of my Gondor decks (runs leadership Borimir, Tactics Boregond, and tactics Mablung) that uses both spearmen and the spear of the citadel. This deck is intended to be used in tandem with another deck that does heavier questing but also has some direct damage. It often isn't usable but it can get you some good results cheap.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drachenfreund wrote:
Pit of Misery wrote:
Stand Together says:

"Action: Choose a player. That player may declare any number of his eligible characters as defenders against each enemy attacking him this phase. "

While we are talking about it:
Does this mean my chosen characters can defend against every incoming attack this phase, or do I need to declare a seperate set of defenders for each attack?


The power is granted to the player, so the player may choose any number of characters on each defense he makes (note -- enemies have to be attacking *that player*, the card grants no ability to combine on sentinel defenses against a different player). It doesn't actually target the defending characters at all, they have to exhaust to defend in the normal way, so if you want to use them for multiple defenses you need a way around that. It's altering the framework rules slightly, just for you, for one phase.

This is one of the few player cards that works with hero Beorn since it doesn't target him directly. Beorn is immune to player cards, but can defend without exhausting.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S R
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks Dale and Benjamin. The German version is worded unambiguous but as always I never know whether the translation is correct. Unfortunately in this case it does not mention that it only works when the chosen player is attacked. I am not sure whether I can translate it back, as the German syntax makes the meaning clear, but my best try would be:

"Action: Choose a player. That player may declare multiple of his eligible characters as defenders upon each enemy attack this phase."

Replacing 'against' with 'upon' should clarify that they can only defend once without readying. Additionally 'against him' should be added before 'this phase' to ensure the card does not work when defending for other players. Replacing 'multiple' with 'any number' should not be necessary because of 'may'.
skybreak wrote:
This thread makes me think... might be interesting to toss a copy or two in a deck with allies like Warden of Healing, Imladris Stargazer, etc. because their abilities are situational there are sometimes rounds where they are ready and not needed during the combat phase but need to stick around for future rounds. In this case, Stand Together essentially becomes a free defense boost to a defending character. And, it looks to be a decent card for two-handed/multiplayer due to 'choose a player'.
So you can turn a meat shield into a proper shield. I like it . You would also save a resource compared to Feint and you would have more events available against enemy attacks when they are immune to player cards or when chumping is a bad idea.
Velensk wrote:
I actually do use it in one of my Gondor decks (runs leadership Borimir, Tactics Boregond, and tactics Mablung) that uses both spearmen and the spear of the citadel. This deck is intended to be used in tandem with another deck that does heavier questing but also has some direct damage. It often isn't usable but it can get you some good results cheap.
RIP Nazgûl of Minas Morgul.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the answers.

So basically this just gives you the ability to create any combination of multiple defenders you want for each attack, provided the characters haven't been exhausted yet?

So if Monster A and Monster B attack, and I have Character A,B,C,D,E...

I could defend Monster A with Characters A+B+C, and I can defend Monster B with characters D+E, for instance?

And if Monster A causes 5 damage, I can pass that damage along only to characters A, B, or C, but not to any other characters?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit of Misery wrote:

So if Monster A and Monster B attack, and I have Character A,B,C,D,E...

I could defend Monster A with Characters A+B+C, and I can defend Monster B with characters D+E, for instance?

And if Monster A causes 5 damage, I can pass that damage along only to characters A, B, or C, but not to any other characters?


Correct -- you can also place all 5 damage on just A or B or C, even if they only had 1 hp left. Of course, if you're going to do that, it'd make more sense just to chump block in the first place....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Can you give 2 damage to character A and 2 damage to character B and 1 damage to character C, can you distribute as you see fit?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pit of Misery wrote:
Can you give 2 damage to character A and 2 damage to character B and 1 damage to character C, can you distribute as you see fit?


All the characters defending together are defenders, so each are eligible to receive damage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.