GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,743 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Feudum» Forums » General

Subject: Defend and Tax - too weak or very situational? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin
msg tools
Hi,

I felt this from the beginning but was waiting to see if it changes with more experience.

The tax action seems very weak and even with a Knight in play not really worth it (unless you are desperately short an influence and some coins). I think I haven't used it more than once in one of my early games and rarely saw people use it

Last game I got 2 early feudums meaning tax would have yielded 4 coins and 1 influence (knight pawn), and I was short on both influence and money - yet I found myself rather playing conservative with money and influence instead of taking the tax action.

Other actions just always seemed to provide higher ROI.

I feel like there's a strategy that I'm missing - like relying on tax and buying from merchant while blocking alchemist from producing krud.

Similarly the defend action gets played so rarely because of the chance of wasting one of your limited actions. If you successfully block a starve the people it's awesome and it's great protecting your pawn or feudum, but usually people either attack you unexpectedly or have enough attack to negate defend.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Benjamin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Warr
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made use of tax plenty of times. The extra influence markers with a Knight can really add up, particularly if combined with a strategy of deliberately starving the supply of influence markers to the Knight's guild.
Even just for the cash, there are times you just need the extra money to allow you to do the other things you need to.

I have to admit that I've very rarely selected Defend, but I've had my Starve the People attempt successfully thwarted by one before. I think it's the threat of the fact that it exists which is important, not how often you actually play it. The fact that you *could* play it is what is significant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used tax enough to think it is useful. Defend? Totally agree that it's a waste. My thought is that defend should have some alternative use if you are not attacked. In my Guild Masters solo variant I actually made the Defend card implicit, i.e., if you are attacked you may always play your defend card if you choose (even though it is never in your hand), but on the subsequent turn your card hand limit is reduced by one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Esselin
Réunion
msg tools
poptasticboy wrote:
I've made use of tax plenty of times. The extra influence markers with a Knight can really add up, particularly if combined with a strategy of deliberately starving the supply of influence markers to the Knight's guild.
Even just for the cash, there are times you just need the extra money to allow you to do the other things you need to.

+1, Taxes is a strong action, if you have the appropriate strategy.
It is as Harvest is a very poor card if you only have one farm, no farmer neither pearl...

Defend is a VERY strong deterent card :
- You can deny an agression marker for players who are controlling feudeums. They need to attack... And it's hard to do even without defense.
- If someone wants to starvate you, you can have a "free" seal for one food. Great !

But you need to have that card in your hand... And if no attack happen, you only score 1VP.

It's all about choices, your opponents situation, and guessing about what they'll do.
An opponenent who have feudeums needs to attack. And he'll loose a lot if he can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin
msg tools
Yes, but we never do any obvious attacks or have the attack power for defense not to matter.

If someone builds a feudum, then puts a noble next to your serf and then next turn the epoch changes and he really needs to starve your serf... Sure defend is great! You know he wants to do it and if he's stupid enough.. Thanks for the royal seal.

In my group everybody sets up obvious attacks and bluffs so you waste an action if you play defend. On the other hand if we attack you won't see it coming. Like buy an airship, fly with 3 stops across the map and boom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.