GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,717 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

KeyForge: Call of the Archons» Forums » General

Subject: General experience with game length at pre-release events? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aidan Mirisola-Sullivan
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
oh hai
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all -

I played two games with a friend yesterday. Granted, they were learning games, but one was 1.5 hours and the other was a whopping 2 hours. Now, we were goofing around and enjoying ourselves and doing a lot of card reading, but we’re both gamers and were ultimately still surprised about the amount of time we invested. I’m also wondering if it was our specific deck composition: both games were Mars Dis Logos vs Logos Brob Sanctum - control reap vs strong turtle. The Mars deck ultimately won both games. I’m confident we were playing the rules correctly.

What are others experiences with game length?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting at 1.5 hours and going down from there slowly seems to be my experience. If you watch the livestream from the Essen tournament you can see games played 2 to 3 times as fast. They started with 80 minutes for best of 3 and got shorter by 5 minutes each round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farnan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Played at a pre-release yesterday. First games with starter decks, learning games (granted we'd seen some online vids etc) only took +/- 45mins, and that seemed to stay the average for the day including getting our hands on some regular decks.
1.5-2hrs sounds insane!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wasser
United States
Bridgeton
Missouri
flag msg tools
I played my first 2 games yesterday over the course of about 1.25 hours total. The people I played against had both already played and I had read the rules and watched some videos beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prerelease yesterday, first game (a 3-2 loss) came in just before the judge called time on the 50 minutes allotted, second game (a 3-1 win) finished in under 40 minutes.

We had maybe 20 minutes to review our decks before starting, both of my opponents and I had read the rules and watched videos previously, and played at least a partial practice game before the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took my kids 2 hours to play 2 games. They are 10 & 12 years old, so they tend to be slow. I sat with them to keep them a little more focused and to teach them the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about 50 times online, and my opponent seemed quite familiar with the game concepts, but it's not clear that he had played before.

In our first game, he defeated me 3-0 in 30 minutes. The second game was very close, with me winning 3-2 by a single aember. That one took 20 minutes.

But those seem like exceptions, as many people were running over the 50 minutes that we were given for best-of-3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bryant
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game also took a little under two hours. That included a lot of checking the core set rules and the online resources. Plus my opponent was a M:tG player who wanted to think very carefully about each turn (three-ish minutes). I'm more of a "go with my gut" player, which meant that my turns were maybe a minute to ninety seconds each. OTOH, he won so there's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Leist

Hagerstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have played about 12 games and taught people at our pre-release yesterday. We have gotten games down to under 45 minutes and actually played two games in under an hour. Once you aren't looking up keywords and timing questions, I believe it becomes a more standard length card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on online play, games generally tend to run between 8 and 15 rounds. That's 16-30 player turns, so that aligns with what we're hearing.

Sometimes longer/slower games are due to more thinking. Sometimes they are due to a pair of decks that continually thwart each other. Sometimes they are due to the players forgetting that the win condition is gaining aember, not destroying your opponent's creatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My deck was heavy on control, with a lot of capturing, stealing, and creature removal, so my games could take a bit longer. That said, once I got familiar with the deck, games got shorter to around 30-45 minutes.

If the launch party goes as described, where you have to play with all 4 included decks, it's going to take a while. I haven't played with the learning decks, so all 4 decks are going to be new to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played couple of games, and our games clock in at 20-30 minutes. Feels a bit on the long side (compared to Magic games, which feel like they're generally faster), but pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tibbles von tibbleton
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I got in 5 games in about 3.5 hours. I got the impression that most everyone who attended had skimmed the rules or seen a playthru beforehand, though few had actually played before.

I’d say most of mine ran longer on the turn count, maybe 12-15 rounds, but they played fast enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Only got to play a couple games before I had to leave, but the first came in under an hour, the second was 30-40 minutes? Both of us were peripherally familiar with the game (read the rules before, watched some videos about it). I think the length has potential to vary significantly based on the decks being played, however. If both had decks with a lot of Aember control, it could deadlock things for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played five games in 4.5 hours with small breaks between games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
badalchemist
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 6 full games at pre-release, each going 30-40 minutes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found 30-45 is about average with outliers on both sides. Pretty much what I expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Powell
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 2 full games at my local pre-launch party. The first games was less than 30 minutes (I won 3-1) and my second game (against a very strong deck) was 45 minutes, with LOTS of tension in the last two turns, as we both had enough amber to forge a key at the end of our turns multiple times. We spent our turns stealing and capturing to prevent the other player from forging at the start of their turn, but I ended up winning after storing up 12 amber at the end of my turn.

There were a few games at our store that went long, but I think those were mostly a result of people losing track of the goal of the game. It’s called “Keyforge”, and that’s what you should be trying to do. But many people who are familiar with Magic (and other card games) spend way too much time just fighting creature and trying to control the board. This can make games VERY long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I organized our local pre-launch tournament.

Teaching the rules took around 45 min (I made sure that everyone got it right).

Game length varied. A lot. With people prone to AP games took forever (60-70 min). Also deck constellations had a huge impact on game length. Some games were over quickly, others not.

Games went from 30 min to 70 min.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wilhelmi
Germany
Husum
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dwiggy444 wrote:

There were a few games at our store that went long, but I think those were mostly a result of people losing track of the goal of the game. It’s called “Keyforge”, and that’s what you should be trying to do. But many people who are familiar with Magic (and other card games) spend way too much time just fighting creature and trying to control the board. This can make games VERY long.

Sadly I do not agree. Board control is one aspect of the game, especially for some decks.

Despite my hopes: I found Keyforge to be a hugely unbalanced and boring experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dr.morton wrote:
Dwiggy444 wrote:

But many people who are familiar with Magic (and other card games) spend way too much time just fighting creature and trying to control the board.

Sadly I do not agree. Board control is one aspect of the game, especially for some decks.

Those two statements are completely compatible with each other, so no disagreement is needed. Board control can be important in KeyForge (sometimes), and people sometimes spend way too much time fighting instead of gaining aember.

Quote:
Despite my hopes: I found Keyforge to be a hugely unbalanced and boring experience.

Too bad. It's possible you had a really bad deck matchup. A rock-paper-scissors situation is more likely than a pure strong/weak deck situation, but either is possible. And of course there are decks which appear strong because they are easy to play well, and others that appear weak because they require highly skilled piloting.

I don't know if the boredom was related to the balance issues you perceived. If so, you might give it another shot someday in a different context. But if you found the inherent gameplay dull, then clearly this isn't a game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.