GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,948 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Heroes of Terrinoth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Enemy passive ability while facedown rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I_Am_Legend
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
Relevant rule quote page 8
“Passive Abilities
Some enemies also have abilities that are not associated with a unique keyword. These abilities are always in effect.”

Also the wraith enemy has a passive ability which states
“If this enemy is in the shadows when the party travels it is not discarded.”

My question is, if the wraith is facedown when you travel does it get discarded or not. Essentially, are passive abilities in effect even when an enemy is facedown.

Your first response will be, well that can’t happen because all enemies are activated and flipped face up during the enemy phase which is before the travel phase. However, in the quest “Battle in the Mistlands”, enemies can spawn facedown in the peril phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Pratt
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem like they failed in better explaining the shadows, and how different things affect face up vs face down cards.. I'm seeing other questions around this same issue with other things too.

This question is even hard to apply logic and make a decision based on that. I could see that if they are face down, there's no way for you to know what's on the text (and you aren't supposed to peak at the enemies), and therefore it should not be in effect. So, that could be an argument for ignoring that effect in this case.

I could also see an argument for checking all the card that you are discarding (when traveling) to see if you happen to have something like the Wraith.

But... then again, the Wraith would have to be flipped face up when that happens, and that doesn't seem to make sense since he didn't really activate.

So this is a hard call..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Romine
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
The rulebook states that the passive abilities are “always in effect.” I do not, however, think that the passive abilities are in effect when the card is face down.

The rules for passive abilities are found in the Enemy Phase section of the rulebook (pages 7 & 8). If the active hero chooses a face down enemy in the shadows to activate during the Enemy Phase, the enemy “is flipped face up and then activated.” The passive abilities are listed in the section with the other effects that are only resolved after an enemy is flipped face up and is then activated (Effect Bar, Keywords and Unique Keywords). Since the passive abilities are listed with other effects that are only resolved after an enemy is flipped face up, I would make the claim that the passive abilities are “always in effect” only after the enemy is flipped face up.

The threat effect has a similar rule. “If one or more threat results are rolled, the active hero resolves all threat effects on quest sheets, faceup cards in play, and faceup cards in the nemesis lair.” (page 6) The rules never state that the threat effect is a passive ability, but it works in a similar way. The card with the threat effect has to be in play and face up to resolve the effect.

The rules for the discarding of the enemies in the shadows only state that you have to discard the enemies in the shadows (page 8). It does not state that you have to flip them face up and then discard them.

Based on all of these rules, I would discard the wraith card because it was in play but not face up, so the passive ability was not currently in effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.