GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,705 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Press Releases

Subject: Announcing a whole new board & card game sleeve company! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sleeve Kings
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
It isn't often a whole new company with 17 products launching at once happens! Well here we are, Sleeve Kings, a company dedicated to making amazing card sleeves with consistency and quality at discount prices. So excited to be 300% funded on KS in 48 hours too. We will begin operations in January but you can help us get started now if you like.

Kickstarter Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sleevekings/sleeve-king...
Campaign Ends: Deember 1, 11:46 am EST
# of Skus: Choose from 16 Skus! (17 if we hit our $20 k stretch goal!
Delivery expected: January 2019 (yes that is FAST)
Pledge Levels: Pledge Levels from $10 to $150 for 5 to 100 packs of sleeves!
Publisher: Sleeve Kings -Our first project!

Crappy Packaging, Epic Sleeves. That is what we are going for here. Did we succeed? If this campaign is successful we will look at improving the retail look of the sleeve packages, but to start we wanted to focus on sleeve quality, not flashy packaging. But if this project funds well we WILL be redoing the packaging and logo, check the stretch rewards section.

Sleeve Kings was born out of a desire to do ONE THING WELL: Card Sleeves. Yes there are tons of card sleeve options out there but we wanted to create something new, a high-quality "standard" sleeve that was way better than any other yet affordable. We have been involved to some degree in sleeves for over 8 years and bring a unique know-how to this business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
So many of these things look suspiciously like Mayday's. Like the colors and the Sleeve size mat, Yucatan as a size description, and that you're in Utah...

edit:
And the fact that when I go to your website, this shows up:

Really? A Mayday Games Website permission form?

Why are you trying to pretend you're a brand new publisher and not Mayday Games?

edit 2:
And this is your first "independent" review?
The Kickstarter Project wrote:
"These are like "poor man's Dragonshield", they cost next to nothing yet stack up against the of the best sleeves on the market. Yeah, time to sell these to the world! People HAVE to know about these!" -Seth, Co-founder.

Which Seth is this? Seth Hyatt, "co-founder" of Mayday Games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's Seth Hyatt. The KS page even has a picture of him. Not sure why these aren't just being made under the Mayday name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ on the KS page admits Seth's involvement after they were already called on it. Classic Seth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sleeve Kings
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Yes Sleeve Kings was started 100% by Seth Hiatt, it is the very first question on the FAQ on the KS and was not and has not ever been hidden. It wasn't added after we were "called out on it" but was posted together with the start of the campaign.

These sleeves are totally different from Mayday and they are being done at a different factory and with a totally new process and with a totally new thickness of sleeves. The pricing and distribution are totally different than Mayday and it is a separate company, 100%.

There is nothing nefarious about how this was launched or approved by Kickstarter or how Sleeve Kings was created.

Yes we are very small right now and so there are some bugs on the website, hardly surprising since we don't actually plan on starting to fulfill the Kickstarter until January and don't expect any orders until then either.

If anyone has any questions about the actual products being offered please feel free to ask away. There are plenty of reviews posted on the KS as we sent out advanced copies to interested parties a few weeks ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rees
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SleeveKings wrote:
If anyone has any questions about the actual products being offered please feel free to ask away. There are plenty of reviews posted on the KS as we sent out advanced copies to interested parties a few weeks ago.

Any chance that the new factory and company means sleeves will be consistently sized? I love Mayday sleeves, but the inconsistentcy makes them almost unusable at times. I've had to unsleeve some games because a second pack of sleeves is taller than the first pack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sleeve Kings
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I can’t speak for Mayday’s consistency but I can tell you that Sleeve King’s is very consistent and that the factory we are using is not the same as Mayday’s. Thanks for your consideration either way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Why are you trying to pretend you're a brand new publisher and not Mayday Games?

[raises hand]
Ooh, pick me!
I know, I know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SleeveKings wrote:
there are some bugs on the website

Requesting notifications under, supposedly, another company's name is a bug?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sleeve Kings
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
ATT_Turan wrote:
Requesting notifications under, supposedly, another company's name is a bug?

Yes since our shopify was set up by the same external consultant as Mayday. I think it is fixed now though. Please let us know if you continue to experience this error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Johnson
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SleeveKings wrote:

Yes since our shopify was set up by the same external consultant as Mayday. I think it is fixed now though. Please let us know if you continue to experience this error.

Let's sum this up:
1. Main product is the same as Mayday (sleeves).
2. Same person behind the company as Mayday (Seth Hiatt).
3. Website set up by the same person as Mayday.
4. Graphic design on the product obviously made by the same person as Mayday.

But, sure, you're totally separate and different whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:

Let's sum this up:
1. Main product is the same as Mayday (sleeves).
2. Same person behind the company as Mayday (Seth Hiatt).
3. Website set up by the same person as Mayday.
4. Graphic design on the product obviously made by the same person as Mayday.

But, sure, you're totally separate and different whistle

If it smells the same, tastes the same, looks the same, then surely....
I like the way the involvement with Mayday is summarised as "We have been involved to some degree in sleeves..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there ever a more appropriate name for a company than Mayday?
On that note, I would be curious about quality. I think the sleeve industry has pushed everyone into making better sleeves, so if the price is that good, and the quality is that good, others will have no choice but up their game. Win for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Moore
msg tools
badge
Mabuchi wrote:
On that note, I would be curious about quality. I think the sleeve industry has pushed everyone into making better sleeves, so if the price is that good, and the quality is that good, others will have no choice but up their game. Win for everyone.

I got the free sets they offered. Got 70x70 square. I normally get FFG premium, but I have used mayday standard before.

These sleeves clearly sit in between those two. Definitely thicker than mayday, but not close to premium.

For quality, it’s hard to say with just two packs. One sled had a flaw, the rest were the same size, etc. if I was more price concerned, I’d definitely be pledging for these. As it is, I’m a big fan of premium and I’m willing to pay the 4x cost. But if I was between two three or standard mayday, it would be no contest in favor of Sleeve Kings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rees
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wademoore wrote:
Mabuchi wrote:

I got the free sets they offered. Got 70x70 square. I normally get FFG premium, but I have used mayday standard before.

These sleeves clearly sit in between those two. Definitely thicker than mayday, but not close to premium.

For quality, it’s hard to say with just two packs. One sled had a flaw, the rest were the same size, etc. if I was more price concerned, I’d definitely be pledging for these. As it is, I’m a big fan of premium and I’m willing to pay the 4x cost. But if I was between two three or standard mayday, it would be no contest in favor of Sleeve Kings.

From what I've read, these are 60 microns, while standard sleeves are typically around 40 microns. Mayday Premium sleeves are 90 microns and FFG Premium sleeves are 100 microns. These are definitely a good middle ground, especially if you want a little more protection but want sleeves to take up less space, like you would for any of the Dark Cities games (Salem 1692, Tortuga 1667, Deadwood 1876), or for games like Quarriors!. I'll probably back for a few packs and try them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Moore
msg tools
badge
Serneum wrote:
wademoore wrote:
Mabuchi wrote:

From what I've read, these are 60 microns, while standard sleeves are typically around 40 microns. Mayday Premium sleeves are 90 microns and FFG Premium sleeves are 100 microns. These are definitely a good middle ground, especially if you want a little more protection but want sleeves to take up less space, like you would for any of the Dark Cities games (Salem 1692, Tortuga 1667, Deadwood 1876), or for games like Quarriors!. I'll probably back for a few packs and try them out.

I thought about Deadwood specifically. I had unfortunately just ordered my free ones and then realized I needed thinner for it and ordered Mayday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SleeveKings wrote:
Yes Sleeve Kings was started 100% by Seth Hiatt, it is the very first question on the FAQ on the KS and was not and has not ever been hidden. It wasn't added after we were "called out on it" but was posted together with the start of the campaign.

And yet, no where in your original post here do you mention Mayday / Seth being part of the operation. It's not until someone else points it out that you admit it. Sound familiar? I'm getting some Empire Games deja vu here.

Some of us don't want anything to do with companies or products associated with Seth Hiatt.

Original post, quoted for documentation, minus the larger images to save space:

SleeveKings wrote:
It isn't often a whole new company with 17 products launching at once happens! Well here we are, Sleeve Kings, a company dedicated to making amazing card sleeves with consistency and quality at discount prices. So excited to be 300% funded on KS in 48 hours too. We will begin operations in January but you can help us get started now if you like.

Kickstarter Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sleevekings/sleeve-king...
Campaign Ends: Deember 1, 11:46 am EST
# of Skus: Choose from 16 Skus! (17 if we hit our $20 k stretch goal!
Delivery expected: January 2019 (yes that is FAST)
Pledge Levels: Pledge Levels from $10 to $150 for 5 to 100 packs of sleeves!
Publisher: Sleeve Kings -Our first project!

Crappy Packaging, Epic Sleeves. That is what we are going for here. Did we succeed? If this campaign is successful we will look at improving the retail look of the sleeve packages, but to start we wanted to focus on sleeve quality, not flashy packaging. But if this project funds well we WILL be redoing the packaging and logo, check the stretch rewards section.

Sleeve Kings was born out of a desire to do ONE THING WELL: Card Sleeves. Yes there are tons of card sleeve options out there but we wanted to create something new, a high-quality "standard" sleeve that was way better than any other yet affordable. We have been involved to some degree in sleeves for over 8 years and bring a unique know-how to this business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sleeve Kings
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Here is another review of the sleeves for those interested. Check the campaign for more reviews too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I please see how these thicker standard sleeves shuffle? My biggest problem with standard sleeves is that in order for them to shuffle well and NOT slide around is that they need to be ‘perfect fit’ like Mayday’s “almost-penny” or BCW’s inner sleeve. At smaller sizes like mini American/Chimera/Euro, it’s less of an issue—but, for example, my mayday ones still sort of crush and feel loose and weird when I shuffle/handle them....again, at the smaller sizes it bothers me less, but with Mayday Standard, for instance, it’s just annoyingly awful for me....at this point the only non-premium sleeves I buy are the mayday‘s perfect-fit “almost penny” or the BCW inner sleeve (although that one can be short as a primary sleeve—not fully covering the card—on some standard cards—ie, all FFG Standard Cards, but that makes sense since it’s supposed to be an inner sleeve).

I really don’t care about that “pull” test TBH—really the main reason I sleeve is to be able to shuffle certain games faster without damaging them. If you could kind post some close up pictures of each different sleeves you have where I could very easily see where the card ends. I know you already have a couple of those up, but—for example, it’s hard to see on pictures like you did with the MtG card or any of the others because it’s not zoomed in and it’s on colorful backgrounds.

More importantly, Is to see some side shuffling. If the dimensions of the sleeves are exactly what mayday’s are, then I’d like to see what that 20 micron difference is with shuffling different card sizes....Every video you have is just someone pulling a sleeve, which I understand is a common sleeve test, but every sleeve review i’ve ever really appreciated sleeves a couple of cards on camera then also shows me how they shuffle—If you can do a close-up on someone hands shuffling different sizes of cards, that’d be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Oksman
United States
Hartsdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So personally—I’m not a Mayday hater. I think 3-4 years ago they may have have had more issues, but for the most part I have been happy with my Mayday sleeve orders for the past 2 years...That being said, I’m a bit disappointed that there was never a propper shuffling video as I requested—they claimed I requested it too late towards the end of the campaign, but I just don’t see how it takes more than 1-2 days to shoot and edit a 2 minute video. I asked here, in a personal chat on KS and on the KS comments 4 days before the campaign ended, but fine—at least he replied saying “not enough time” even though I know from personally editing videos and I know plenty of reviewers that have turned around longer reviews for pennies compared to this campaign...but fine—maybe I was the only one clamoring for a shuffling video of a couple of their sleeves because it doesn’t seem like anyone else is asking—all they keep asking is for them make ‘Sleeve bundles’ of various games, which just seems less important considering all Mayd—er—Sleeve Kings is doing is just referencing “The Card Sleeve Size Guide” here on BGG, which I can do myself....

Fine—whatever. All I wanted to know is if the 60 microns is firm enough to start using those instead of premium (in some cases)...It seems not.

I won’t even get into the fact that they keep claiming how Sleeve King and Mayday are completely separate entities, yet my Mayday BF email shipping receipt was this:

Just whatever....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sleeve Kings
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
We are sorry you feel that way Maurice. When I say "there wasn't enough time" please understand that it isn't just Sleeve Kings time in a vacumn here I am talking about. I do sleeve kings on the weekends and at night as I have time as Mayday is still my full time job. Mayday had a HUGE Black Friday sale and I have been frantically busy through that and I also needed to move to a new city for a family emergency this week.

I know editing a video doesn't take long but with over 25 other independent reviews already posted on the KS, many of them talking about the shuffling aspect of the sleeves, I just didn't feel it was critical to the campaign.

Either way, please feel free to move along if you don't like the campaign, we would love to earn your trust with our sleeves, but we respect your ability to decide that for yourself based on the information you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.