GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,778 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Paths of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: 100th Anniversary rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy 100th Anniversary of the Armistice that ended WWI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to think the Armistice was a global outbreak of sanity after the brutal, bloody madness of the war, but sadly it was not to be.

Americans tend to take solemn observances of loss and sacrifice as opportunities to party. I don't know what it's like elsewhere, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Etterbeek
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very solemn over here (Belgium) - with moving ceremonies all over the country
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Finkenbinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Americans by and large ignore or have forgotten this war, and I think it is a shame. We are much more involved in World War II (and the "bad guys" from that one have received much more attention), there aren't many film adaptations of the conflict by comparison, and most if not all of the dough boys are deceased.

That said, this historian recognizes the sacrifice of all of the brave men who went "over the top," and the significance of the conflict as a whole. Happy Anniversary indeed - I know that in Europe, this is likely to be much more widely recognized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.