GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,706 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Lovecraft game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Walker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello all,

I’m pretty new to the board game scene and slowly building a collection. I’m getting into the lovecraft theme and looking for a game to buy? I have Arkham horror LCG but I don’t like the deck building aspect, I’ve brought the return to Arkham addon and going to see if it changes my mind. However I’ve been looking at one of the traditional board games: Arkham horror (3rd), Eldritch Horror or mansions of madness? But unsure on which one to buy? I want a game that isn’t too fiddly and difficult to manage and obviously immersive... most likely be playing it solo as the wife isn’t really interested.

Cheers

Games I have and I do forget rules and get confused sometimes...

Runebound
Arkham horror lcg
Aeons end
Nemos war
Pandemic
Hostage negotiate
7 Wonders Duel
Chronicles of Crime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Elder
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Based on your comment I would recommend starting with Eldritch Horror. Buy the base game and start with that. The base game by itself is not fiddly at all and is easy to learn. There is also a good quick reference sheet for it in the file section. Its very immersive and tells a good story too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Notodden
Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
I game...
badge
...and I'm a gnome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rub my gnome wrote:
Hello all,

I’m pretty new to the board game scene and slowly building a collection. I’m getting into the lovecraft theme and looking for a game to buy? I have Arkham horror LCG but I don’t like the deck building aspect, I’ve brought the return to Arkham addon and going to see if it changes my mind. However I’ve been looking at one of the traditional board games: Arkham horror (3rd), Eldritch Horror or mansions of madness? But unsure on which one to buy? I want a game that isn’t too fiddly and difficult to manage and obviously immersive... most likely be playing it solo as the wife isn’t really interested.

Cheers

Games I have and I do forget rules and get confused sometimes...

Runebound
Arkham horror lcg
Aeons end
Nemos war
Pandemic
Hostage negotiate
7 Wonders Duel
Chronicles of Crime

I have also been looking for some decent Lovecraft games. I find the FFG games too long and fiddly. And I am not a fan of FFGs business model when it comes to the LCG.

Sadly, that leaves a vast amount of fillers that usually aren’t as well regarded. Allthough Lovecraft Letter could be an exception to this.

But here are some non-fillers you can check out:
Kingsport Festival
A Study in Emerald (second edition)

I have played neither, but own Kingsport Festival so I expect I’ll be plying it soon. It is supposed to be a further evolved version of Kingsburg

Aslo... I’m a gnome. Rub mah belleh, please!

Edited for spelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no Return to Arkham for the LCG. I assume you're talking about Arkham Horror: The Card Game – Return to the Night of the Zealot? In which case I doubt this will change your mind as it mostly will make the game harder for you.
What could, though, would be a deluxe box like Arkham Horror: The Card Game – The Dunwich Legacy: Expansion and its mythos packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I like a study in emerald second edition, but it's a deck-building game and you mentionned not liking it (though building it is part of the game itself). It's also not solo-playable... so i dunno why i am talking about it...

Cthulhu wars: super expansive, but super good (and still not soloable).

Elder's sign: that one is soloable and pretty good, though i find the app version fantastic for playing solo and prefer it to the physical boardgame.

As a small card game, Pocket Madness isn't half bad either. A bit shuffle-fiddly perhaps... but it's simple fun.

Mansions of Madness 2 is super-immersive and... imo... better solo than with a group. My main problem with it is the total randomness of it and utter lack of replayability. You play each scenario once or twice... then it becomes super-boring real quick once you know the scenario. And the expansions are super expansive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Mythos Tales which is Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases with a Lovecraftian spin and 100% solo play if you so choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaka Svegelj
Slovenia
flag msg tools
Maybe take a look at Fate of the elder gods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
postm wrote:
But here are some non-fillers you can check out:
Kingsport Festival
A Study in Emerald (second edition)

I have played neither,. . .

A Study in Emerald (2d Ed.) is a great game, but it involves deck-building.

We've had a lot of fun with Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.