flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently out is as follows:
Blue (France),
Black (Germany),
Green (Italy),
Red (USA) and
Orange(Netherlands).

I feel that Orange for the Dutch and Blue for France (Allez les bleus) really do fit.
Germany in black is fine too especially as there is no military context and it's fresh to not see German Grey (which would mix up with Cement mixers anyway).

Italy and green - the creators sure know best which color fits their country.

USA and red? I think I would like white more. Especially as this would solve the red - green issue at the same time.
Or to make room for an expansion adding Switzerland as red.

And we should add Sweden for some yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bernardo
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
badge
Wargame? Eurogame? Ameritrash? Asia!! Check out Asian board game reviews at CardboardEast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love more factions to explore and try. More executive officers wouldn't be a bad touch either!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
luigi 'bove' de feo
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carsten_de_1981 wrote:
Currently out is as follows:
Blue (France),
Black (Germany),
Green (Italy),
Red (USA) and
Orange(Netherlands).

I feel that Orange for the Dutch and Blue for France (Allez les bleus) really do fit.
Germany in black is fine too especially as there is no military context and it's fresh to not see German Grey (which would mix up with Cement mixers anyway).

Italy and green - the creators sure know best which color fits their country.

USA and red? I think I would like white more. Especially as this would solve the red - green issue at the same time.
Or to make room for an expansion adding Switzerland as red.

And we should add Sweden for some yellow.

Italy is green because of the Flag. It can fit!
About USA, we used white and fit perfectly. We tried the red, that fit good too..

We are finishing some tests and we'll give you more news about this theme!

Love Love Love to the yellow! But we have to find a real dam in Sweden to work on it... give us time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I prefer red than the white colour for USA...but I am not American, thus I do not know what is more appropriate.
I am wondering: will you add UK in future? Perhaps UK could be white..However better to ask to British people.
Yes yellow for Sweden is perfect, I think.
Do you think to produce expansions in future?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I very much hope you'll reconsider this colour choice as it is not colourblind friendly. Red, green and orange are too difficult to distinguish and it's important in this game to be able to quickly grasp who controls what where.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red and blue are the colors most closely associated with the USA. Just look at some Independence day decor.

Sure the white is there but it's definitely the least prominent of the red, white and blue.

Personally I'm happy with the color selection. As for color blindness I'll just repost what I said on another thread.

Jimmydm90 wrote:
One of the complaints I've seen in the KS comments is player colors not being colorblind friendly while non-color blind players wanted to keep their favorite player colors available. Cranio has already said they're working on this so it's not really much of an issue but I just wanted to demonstrate that it's possible to keep both colorblind players and players with color preference happy by picking certain hues of each color.

With just a bit of mucking around I managed to find a selection of colors that could satisfy most people.

The green and orange could probably be adjusted a bit more to find an even better solution for red colorblind but this is just an example. Combined with the custom shaped components for each faction this should make Barrage color blind friendly, at least in terms of player component colors.

Similar colors could be used for pipes on the board to improve color blind clarity there too.

EDIT:

Another example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Schippers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Totaly remove the orange is a no go for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten K.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
I very much hope you'll reconsider this colour choice as it is not colourblind friendly. Red, green and orange are too difficult to distinguish and it's important in this game to be able to quickly grasp who controls what where.

Danish could be red though.
But I agree, though personally I have no disability in that regard I know a lot of people have. That's why I brought up the issue in the KS comments in the first place. Different shapes would help a little with this too. But that would come at higher production costs I guess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten K.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rednas79 wrote:
Totaly remove the orange is a no go for me.

Orange is super perfect to represent the Dutch. Couldn't agree more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten K.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
Red and blue are the colors most closely associated with the USA.

Well, blue is France.
And any game I played the US never were red. But that might be because the Soviet Union took part.
As said: I'd go for white. After all it's used for stars AND stripes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Schippers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Doesn´t light green and dark orange or vica versa and then USA white helps for colour blindness?

I also agree red fits USA more. But they still got 3 national colours.
Also at Olympics i see alot of white and blue in there outfits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rednas79 wrote:

I agree that blue would make as much sense as red for the USA (those are the colors of the two main US political parties) but still white is generally far less prominent when it comes to American stuff, even in the olympics.

If you were going to make a white faction it would probably make the most sense for Japan.

And fun fact, hydroelectricity is actually Japan's #1 source of renewable energy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten K.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:

I agree that blue would make as much sense as red for the USA

So, for the US rather red is your color than Red = Soviet Union?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally the US is depicted as blue and Soviet Union is depicted as red but France is blue so...

Also try typing "White America" into google and sees what comes up. It's not pretty. The most famous all white uniform in American History belongs to the white nationalist Ku Klux Klan.

So "America being white" in the color scheme could be unintentionally walking into some problematic PR down the road. Not saying that'll definitely happen but I've seen gamers blow up over less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Schippers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Carsten_de_1981 wrote:
Jimmydm90 wrote:

I agree that blue would make as much sense as red for the USA

So, for the US rather red is your color than Red = Soviet Union?
I don't see russia here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Schippers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Jimmydm90 wrote:
Generally the US is depicted as blue and Soviet Union is depicted as red but France is blue so...

Also try typing "White America" into google and sees what comes up. It's not pretty. The most famous all white uniform in American History belongs to the white nationalist Ku Klux Klan.

So "America being white" in the color scheme could be unintentionally walking into some problematic PR down the road. Not saying that'll definitely happen but I've seen gamers blow up over less.
French is light blue and USA is dark blue.
But that is not very practical with game pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Schippers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Jimmydm90 wrote:
Rednas79 wrote:

I agree that blue would make as much sense as red for the USA (those are the colors of the two main US political parties) but still white is generally far less prominent when it comes to American stuff, even in the olympics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
still white is generally far less prominent when it comes to American stuff, even in the olympics.

I didn't say white wasn't there. Just said it's less prominent than red and blue, generally. Even in those photos they're wearing almost 50% navy blue.

Using that logic you could make the same case for France being white even though they feature blue much of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phobophille
msg tools
mbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:

Well, in that last picture the text (which is the way the french team is referred to as) literally says "All blues", so... I'd rather argue blue is definitely France XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delia Volpi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
French soccer players are mostly in blue. It is the English football team which is mostly in white and also the German one.
It also depends if they want to make future expansions with other countries.
However it is a bit complicated because the flags of these countries have a lot of colours in common. If they will insert Ireland..it is green as Italy.
Russia could be red, but also USA (red or blue, but France also red or blue)..
At this point for me it is the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Schippers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
The nickname of the National Soccer Team is ''The blues''.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rednas79 wrote:
The nickname of the National Soccer Team is ''The blues''.

That’s my point. Even though they’re predominantly associated with blue look how much white they’ve worn in the Olympics! A ton but that doesn’t mean it’s representative of their nation color.

TLDR; Olympic colors are a terrible metric for determining national color. Most of italy’s Olympic uniforms are blue, a color not even on their flag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric V
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I said previously that the best solution would be to cut the link between color and nation. And to let to people the freedom to select a color and a nation independently (as for example in Manhattan Project). I guess that it is too late for this and more difficult because the building shapes are also associated to a specific architect.
Another idea for expansion would be two have two countries per color like in Terra Mystica...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.