York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,505494,00.html

Is this true?

Are you a German? Are you obsessed with the Wild West? Do you live in a teepee?

Only answer if 2 out 3 apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about 'obsessed', but in general, I'd say this is true in my experience. Maybe 'fascinated by' would be more apropriate. I'm not German and my experience is limited. Great topic for debate, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this true? Yes
Are you German?Yes

I am allowed to answer cool

I grew up with Karl May and Winnetou. Even though none of the films were ever filmed in the States,as a kid I thought that's what America must look like. Man, did I get surprise when I finally arrived @ JFK airport in NYC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are you a German?
Yes

Are you obsessed with the Wild West?
No. German people in the 60s/70s were, but nowadays nobody cares about Karl May's Wild West stories any more.

If you look at the people interviewed they are 50+ and probably the last of the Wild West generation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermann Huth
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon,
it´s true!!
Winnetou is the german incarnation of a brave but somehow pacifistic native american who fights an already lost battle against evil white intruders. I read these books with a torch under my blanket when I was young. But the real heroe was Old Shatterhand - Winnetous blood brother - a german teacher who came to the USA and rescued everybody and everything... And there was Old Surehand, Aunt Droll, Klekhi Petra, the evil Santer...this brings up memories..
End of the sixties and beginning of the seventies we had a few STILL popular Karl May movies here in Germany (Winnetou, Winnetou2, Winnetou3 - where he died - lots of teardrops, I tellya - Der Schatz im Silbersee, I could go on for hours), well, yes, it´s true!!

edited for spelling...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hermann Huth
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And in all these movies Winnetou was played by Pierre Brice - a french actor shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://mondo-esoterica.net/links_pages/Karl%20May%20Westerns...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like all Germans wear Lederhosen while drinking Bier out of humongous Steins all day, every American is just like John Wayne. Either that or JR from Dallas. No, wait - the whole country is Baywatch! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'd love to stay and discuss this but I've got to catch the 3:10 To Yuma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
was once a plant in a fruit plot
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a German.
As someone who grew up in the USSR though, I will say that we certainly were obsessed with the Old West. Plus most of my friends who did grow up in various parts of Europe did have a fascination with the idea of the West. But that is the case with most Mythology. The Old West is more an idea like the pre-Homeric Greece, with its gods and heroes. The West has its own archetypical figures and iconic beings wandering its sprawling canvas and deviating far from reality. Plus, each generation and culture reinterprets those events to suit its current paradign, with each such transformation taking the events further into the realm of myth. Sure is fun, though. Fun and tarnation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blimus! You live and learn! Stewart Granger starred as Old Surehand. Good grief.

I'd really like to see these films now, they look fascinating.

Cheers,
jon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Is this true?

Yes, although I think it applies more to older people. Case in point, I just checked my bookshelf and found 4 volumes by Karl May my father gave to me (he got them as a boy in 1956). I believe I've read at most one of them.

Quote:
Are you a German?

Yes.

Quote:
Are you obsessed with the Wild West?

No.

Quote:
Do you live in a teepee?

No.

Quote:
Only answer if 2 out 3 apply.

Does 2 out of 4 count?

So I gather from your reaction that the Karl May movies never got any international exposure? Too bad. By modern standards, they are horribly cliched and naive, but they do have a certain charme. And a lot of contemporary mainstream cinema isn't any better.

I think I actually have to read those books now. Thanks for reminding me. After all, they are part of my native American German heritage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Hey! just be glad that they're off from their "World Domination" 'kick', for the time being that is
~those "Sneaks"!
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sneakvideo.html
surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaceyet wrote:

Excellent web site

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm not a German... (I likely have some German heritage infused in me somewhere but I've never lived there) but I do like the modernized classic western movies as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnlCDMeA-uY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.