GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,341 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
23 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: House Democrats first bill rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the surface this feels like "well duh" but it will be interesting to see how the GOP responds to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope so, but I wonder if this will apply only to federal elections? On the assumption that states would naturally just have the state functions conform to federal requirements for sanity's sake.

Never underestimate the will of certain states to buck the fed in anyway they can, cost, complication, inefficiency be damned.

If passed, I predict at least one state will try to have federal voting rolls separate from state rolls.

A southern state, of course.

And of course multiple states will fight like hell against externally-imposed redistricting processes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, probably DOA. I'm sure it will be shot down on cost or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamesmanship. One of those things that makes the other party look stupid for voting 'no' on. Especially when Republicans like to make goofy claims about voter fraud all the time.

Either will get stalled in some stupid way or will get passed in some ultra watered down version.

The issue here is for Democrats to show some grit and force something meaningful and strong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a dirty play for sure by the democrats forcing fair play & integrity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WetRock wrote:
Either will get stalled in some stupid way or will get passed in some ultra watered down version.

It'll never get a vote in the Senate. And, as the article noted, there's some things there that might not survive a court challenge. There's the potential that you could get states to move on some things by tying them to funding, but even that could be challenged in court.

They might do better splitting this into smaller bills and making it HR 1-5 or 1-10. That might actually make it harder for some Republicans to say "no" to some of the individual bills, which means that you might open up a procedural way to force them to the Senate floor. The President probably doesn't sign them but, as you said, this is largely for show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pustilnik
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Hmmm, probably DOA. I'm sure it will be shot down on cost or something.

You're probably right. However, it is in important that the Democrats stand for something. Not just against Trump. This bill is an important step in that direction.

Even though this bill will probably not get passed the first time, it is a good thing that the Democrats go on the record as in favor of voting rights and against gerrymandering. A version of this bill may eventually get passed after the 2020 elections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a ploy, but a smart one. Funny thing is, when put before voters - even predominantly Republican voters - measures to expand the vote do very well. Witness Florida just successfully passing an amendment (or whatever it was) to let felons vote, with over 60% of the vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
>> If passed

It won’t be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
We all know this won't get anywhere, especially since it comes from the federal level, but state and local initiatives like this are clear winners which will mysteriously help Democrats. Instead of fighting hard against photo id requirements (which help Republicans, but sound defensible to people that don't realize the barriers they build), instead focus on initiatives making it easier, and cheaper, to register to vote, and obtain photo id. Focus on stories explaining outrageous costs to become register to vote because getting the right documentation is cumbersome and expensive. Names changes, hard to obtain and expensive birth certificates, and even worse, certificates of citizenship for naturalized citizens(Filing fee, $1100!). Local requirements for more voting locations, with better equipment, making voting easier. More funding for counting, so that we don't get into this BS discussions about whether ballots are of dubious origin or not.

Enough of this drum drowns the idiocy of illegal voting fears, when what we have plenty of proof of is voter suppression instead. That might has seen politically correct in the Goldwater and Phyllis Schlafly days, but despite all the racist bullshit going on, your average Republican can't stomach the idea that maybe some Americans shouldn't be allowed to vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was running the show, the Democrats first budget bill would remove the income cap from the social security tax and make the tax also apply to investment income. I'd run the entire campaign in 2020 on the fact that the Republicans refuse to pass a budget that fixed social security funding.

The whole "social security trust fund" thing is bullshit anyway. In the end the only thing that matters is the total US budget deficit, so it doesn't matter how taxes are collected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.